DH Freeride Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009

DH Freeride Bike

I want a new bike thats good for dh and a little bit freeriding. My bike should be very nimble easy to throw around and should jump good and corner awsome.
    Which bike do you think is best for me?
    Specialized demo 8 ll
    Specialized demo 7 ll
    Specialized sx
    Commencal Supreme
    Commencal Supreme dh
    Trek scratch 9
    Trek Session 88
    Morewood Kakula
    Morewood Makulu
    Gaint Faith
    Gaint Glory
    Corsair Mealstrom
    Tansition Blindside
    Yeti 303 dhr
    Mongoose Boot´r Team
    Banshee Legend Mkll
    Canfield bros jedi

Tell me pros and cons on these bikes
    Thanks for helping guys

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Morewood kalula

ofc im biased as i got one.

but it pretty much does what you listed.

cons ? it sits deep in its travel so its more akin to a full bore DH racer then a freerider, but that is simply cos im running it at the 40% recomended by BOS, if you run it with a FOX RC4, and set it at 30% sag instead, you should be golden.

Also you can run it with a 180 singlecrown or dual crown easy, its got a tapered headtube to get the best of both worlds.

Stick one of the new FOX 36s 180 and youve got a very light ride that can take a serious beating freeriding

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanH
    Morewood kalula

cons ? it sits deep in its travel so its more akin to a full bore DH racer then a freerider, but that is simply cos im running it at the 40% recomended by BOS, if you run it with a FOX RC4, and set it at 30% sag instead, you should be golden.

Also you can run it with a 180 singlecrown or dual crown easy, its got a tapered headtube to get the best of both worlds.

Stick one of the new FOX 36s 180 and youve got a very light ride that can take a serious beating freeriding
    Thanks for the good help..
    The Kakula was always one of my favorites do you think the step up to the Makulu would be to much???
    What other bikes have you ridden

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Scott Voltage FR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanH
    Morewood kalula

+1, a mate of mine has just got a makulu and its a effing awesome bike.

and what im hearing is the kalula is just a 7" version which would make it also effing awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Why not get a DHR from go-ride and pimp it out for all the cash you saved compared to other frames.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by norbar
    Why not get a DHR from go-ride and pimp it out for all the cash you saved compared to other frames.
    Why how much do they cost

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrikorlainsky
    Why how much do they cost
    I remember 1599$ for the frame and I think they gave you discounts on parts. 3799$ for a complete bike.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member

Knolly DT!

With the new "Delirium" out the older version the DT has dropped in price and is exactly what you are looking for. I own both a DT and the Jedi and the DT is way better for FR and AM due to the pedalling efficiency. The Jedi is straight DH Speed but I huck that thing off of anything.
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

Glad to Be Alive
    I want a new bike thats good for dh and a little bit freeriding. My bike should be very nimble easy to throw around and should jump good and corner awsome.
    s
    you always have to give up something to get something....a bike isn't going to have it all

here are some question...

how long you been riding
    what kind of terrain will you ride 75% or more the time
    what is your budget

that being said you should buy used
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Trestle Rental Shop Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwhip
    Scott Voltage FR
    Agreed, so sick!

Moose Member
    Get an intense m1 or somethin. Intense is the best fer sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator13
    With the new "Delirium" out the older version the DT has dropped in price and is exactly what you are looking for. I own both a DT and the Jedi and the DT is way better for FR and AM due to the pedalling efficiency. The Jedi is straight DH Speed but I huck that thing off of anything.
    Which bike corners better and i more nimble

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    you always have to give up something to get something....a bike isn't going to have it all

here are some question...

how long you been riding
    what kind of terrain will you ride 75% or more the time
    what is your budget

that being said you should buy used
    I will be riding all natural terain so the bike should have some travel.
    And most of the time it prety steep and tight.
    The trails are also narow so the bike should be nimble

1+1
    going for a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator13
    Second what Dominator13 said.
    DT or the new Delirium. Go Vtach if you want the option to run SC or DC forks. Can't go wrong with either bike, I've got both and cannot say enough good things about them. Do yourself a favor and go test ride one if you can. That is the best advice I can give anyone looking for a dh/fr rig that can stand up to any and every condition within your riding limits. Knolly bikes are tougher than tanks and nimbler than a yoga master.

bikegeekjames

Canfield

I've heard nothing but amazing things about the Canfeild Jedi. Suposed to be the bees knees. I'm currently riding a Jamis '10 BAM 2.0 (I got it on an EP deal, so i'm partial to the good deals!)
    Know a kid who 360'd a fully rigid, SS 29er on a DH course. Clipped in. He landed it. I will go cry in the corner now...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I will be riding all natural terain so the bike should have some travel.
    And most of the time it prety steep and tight.
    The trails are also narow so the bike should be nimble
    What exactly is natural terrain?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

DH Freeride

Driver 8

Flacko
    Mar 2006
    100% all natural

bikegeekjames
    Driver 8 is mega-sick. Just a more versatile V-10. Santa Cruz makes very clean looking, well made bikes. Why can't they be cheaper?
    Know a kid who 360'd a fully rigid, SS 29er on a DH course. Clipped in. He landed it. I will go cry in the corner now...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikegeekjames
    Driver 8 is mega-lame. Just a less capable V-10. Santa Cruz makes very clean looking, well made bikes. Why can't they be cheaper?
    Fixed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jcook1989
    What exactly is natural terrain?
    Well theirs lots of root rocks and its very gnarly theres also some very tight switchbacks.
    With all natural i mean i dont have a bike park near me
    Last edited by patrikorlainsky; 06-10-2010 at 07:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    if you want the best bang for the buck, i doubt anyone can touch the turner deals going on right now.

the only reason i got the kalula over a turner at that price was that i got it even cheaper 3 months used.. and a few scratches on it, ohh and destickered too :O

But if your on a tight budget.. you simply cant beat the turner deal right now, i would say the yeti is an amazing deal too but turners warranty wins when prices are that equal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well theirs lots of root rocks and its very gnarly theres also some very tight switchbacks.
    With all natural i mean i dont have a bike park near me
    I figured you meant something about not having a park. But you need to remember natural terrain in BC is a little different then natural terrain in SoCal. So try to be a little more specific.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by norbar
    DHR's far more DH than FR. Single ring and not the most pedalable bike uphill. If you go Turner you should think about finding a Highline. Not made any more but there are used ones around. A lot more will probably become available when the new RFX is (finally) released.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The new Giant Faith is awesome... rode a buddies as well as one at the LBS and started saving immediately after.

bikegeekjames
    Quote Originally Posted by PineTreeDJ
    The new Giant Faith is awesome... rode a buddies as well as one at the LBS and started saving immediately after.
    I rode that one at the Outdoor Demo at Interbike, and thought it was an amazing bike. Good job on Giant for really stepping it up this year!

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Add the Chumba EVO to that list.

bikegeekjames
    I rode an Evo for about 2 years and really liked the strong, beefy feel to it. They are very well made and i didn't have any problems with it. But eventually i got tired of the heaviness of the frame and swapped it out.
    Don't get me wrong, I'll hike my DH bike no problem, but with an AM bike, i like it to be a little lighter in the frame dept. (Hint to Chumba---keep the cool design, just hydroform or something to lighten it up!)

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by glitz
    Add the Chumba EVO to that list.
    always. lulz.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Agreed...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jcook1989
    I figured you meant something about not having a park. But you need to remember natural terrain in BC is a little different then natural terrain in SoCal. So try to be a little more specific.
    I live on austria vorarberg a valley with pretty steep mountains

Members who have read this thread: 0