dh/freeride or all mountain?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

dh/freeride or all mountain?

forgive my ignorance but i am trying to find out what would better suit my needs. im looking to buy my first new bike within the next year and trying to do as much research as i can. i may buy something a lot sooner but it just depends

a lot of my riding will be moderate trail riding...dirt, gravel, large hills. also some xc type stuff. the bike will also see its fair share of pavement pounding. it will see some moderate dh stuff (hit tahoe in the summer) bascially the bike should be an all arounder, i will be your hardcore weekend warrior

im tossed up between getting a flexy but heavy dh/freeride bike or more of an all mountain bike. i like the idea of 7" of travel but it seems AM bikes are around 30lbs and DH bikes are around 40lbs. seems like a big difference in weight

for comparission i was thinking either ibex zone fr-1 or ibex apogee expert lx. i use these for comparission simply because i have heard good things about ibex bikes and there bang for the buck. im not sure about hardtails or xc bikes so feel free to inform this NOOB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcal450
    forgive my ignorance but i am trying to find out what would better suit my needs. im looking to buy my first new bike within the next year and trying to do as much research as i can. i may buy something a lot sooner but it just depends

a lot of my riding will be moderate trail riding...dirt, gravel, large hills. also some xc type stuff. the bike will also see its fair share of pavement pounding. it will see some moderate dh stuff (hit tahoe in the summer) bascially the bike should be an all arounder, i will be your hardcore weekend warrior

im tossed up between getting a flexy but heavy dh/freeride bike or more of an all mountain bike. i like the idea of 7" of travel but it seems AM bikes are around 30lbs and DH bikes are around 40lbs. seems like a big difference in weight

for comparission i was thinking either ibex zone fr-1 or ibex apogee expert lx. i use these for comparission simply because i have heard good things about ibex bikes and there bang for the buck. im not sure about hardtails or xc bikes so feel free to inform this NOOB
    price range?

mtbr member
    sounds like an all mtn bike is the way to go....most trail can be ridden on an all mtn bike just fine. you would only need a FR or DH bike if you were going to really do that type of riding. all mtn bikes are mostly made to take a beating. for what you are going to do a DH bike is out of the question and a freeride bike is not going to really suit you well either. for you, get something with adjustable travel atleast up front so you can set the bike up for different types of riding. drop the travel for the lighter stuff and up it for the gnarly trails.

hardtails...basically vary a lot. different geometry and design. there are XC HTs, dirtjumping HTs and even DH oriented HTs. all different geometry and design generally. all and all whatever you get...you probably won't need more then 5.5in of travel from what you decribe. good luck....

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    a lot of my riding will be moderate trail riding...
    That right there says to me "All Mountain bike". If you had said you woudl be riding primarily technical, steep, DH trails then yeah, I'd go for a DH bike. I think you would be better off with a bike that you can ride everywhere. As you get more experienced and you find that you are shuttling DH trails then go buy a DH-specific bike.

mtbr member

Buy a Bike....

that suits 90% of the conditions you are going to ride and not the 10% which you may never ride. Lots of people see those videos and think it is great ( which it is) to ride fast and jump and do extreme stuff. This takes a lot of time and crashes to do with confidence. You may even decide it is not for you.

not really a noob
    buy my gemini and lighten it up a bit.
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    All Mountain for sure. If yuo want a FS bike, look for around 5" of travel front and back. If you are new to the sport DO NOT GET A FS BIKE, GET A HARDTAIL INSTEAD. Seriously, not only will you save yourself a boatload of $, but you will ensure that you are learning the bike handling skills that you need once the riding gets more aggressive. Look for something with trail oriented geometry (68*-69* head angle, 71*-72* seat angle for pedaling) that is built tough. There are TONS out there. If it was me, the Sinister Ridge would be my first choice, but it is a lot of bike for a new rider. Personally, I really like the idea of a fork with adjustable travel - the Pike comes to mind. I would love a Ridge with a Pike (but again, a lot of bike for a new rider).
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

wishiwereridingmybike
    transition preston

Members who have read this thread: 0