DH/FR flat pedals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

DH/FR flat pedals?

I need new DH/FR flat pedals, and I was looking for pedals on sites like jensonusa, universal cycles, ride-this, etc.... Ride-this is what I'm leaning toward because they also carry a Truvativ bashguard I need. Anyway, what should I look for in a good DH/FR pedal? I ride Keystone, which can get really rough. There are tons of pedals, so are there any really sucky ones I should look out for? One that caught my eye was the DMR V-8 pedals. How are they?

Glad to Be Alive
    look for a better price for around 50 bucks, but I would be looking at the Azonic A-frames.....a solid pedal that last
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Wellgo MG-1s - get them for a great price on ebay - inexpensive, magnesium (lightest flat pedal on the market) and great grip

StraightOuttaCompton
    mg-1
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

General Rabble-Rouser
    The V12s are a better choice over V8s

There are so many good grippy pedals out there. Just look for a concave body & replaceable pins

I've been abusing a set of Hamilton animal pedals for some time, and they've held up so well I can't justify replacing them.

Transition house brand pedals, Wellgo B67s and DMR V12s are on our other bikes.

I'm kind of partial to the feel on V12s, and want a set on my hardtail. the pedal body has a nice size and feels easy to pick up with my feel for hops.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So are most of Wellgo's pedals good quality?

General Rabble-Rouser
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemarine5
    So are most of Wellgo's pedals good quality?

Some of the lower model wellgos are a little suspect, but places like Pricepoint have the wellgo b67s on permasale for a great price

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ok thanks. Do all of these have nice, long pins? Right now I'm using the stock pedals that came on my 07 BigHit2, which aren't great. I think the specs just say that they like 3mm pressed pins, and I've bashed some of them up pretty bad.....

Pivotal figure
    The Wellgo's have the set-screw type pins(allen bolt) which makes them very grippy. The length on mine was fairly long which made them a bit hard to get used to (I'm wearing 5.10 shoes). The only problem I've had with mine is having the pins rip out from impacts with rocks or just getting so mangled that I can't get them out to replace them. I just picked up some Premium Slim pedals and they're more what I'm looking for. Not quite as light as the mags but thinner and they have standard allen bolts that thread in from the spindle side of the platform (you can always get a wrench on them even if the bolt gets mashed)
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Phil from San Diego
    another vote for wellgo mg-1. inexpensive, LIGHT! and so far indestructable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Don't break the bank on pedals. I have found that you're shoes make a much bigger difference on how well you stick to your pedals than your actual pedal does (as long as you have a decent pedal).

mtbr member
    Jefe makes a good point. I've been a clipless rider for awhile now, and am considering heading over to the flatty side. I love the combo of my Nike 6.0's and Specialized Mag Pros on my dj'er, and as everyone says, I've heard great things about the 5.10s. Get yourself a good shoe and you'll have less to worry about pedalwise.
    im wearing clothes right now.

外国人
    Jun 2007
    crank brothers 5050

hmmmm
    i like my 5050xx's a little heavier than i would like but a solid pedal so far. but i second the get good shoes and don't spend to much on pedals

Now with More Wood
    Another vote for the v12....I really like how this pedal feels under your feet. Nice and grippy with 661 Taki's, pins are easy to replace (and exist in 2 lengths + color variations).

The thing to note is that the v12 is kinda small....that's down to preference I guess...just beware...

mtbr member
    Wellgo MG-1s and 5.10 Impacts. So sticky, you're practically clipped in...
    Too tired and sore to ride...so...who wants to go riding?

KEEP ROLLING
    shimano DX and V12 i have tried love them ... i prefer the V12 because they have less concave and dont hurt your feet if you peddle lots . . . the shimano DX pins are not long enough but they come with longer ones in the box, just remember not to over tighten them they strip the aluminium platform easily.

Lord of the Chainrings
    DMR V12's, or V8's if you wanna save some $$.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

N* Bomber Crew
    I run Crank Brother's 5050's and they receive a lot of criticism here. I actually really like them so far, and they stick great to my Etnies. They stick great and also allow you to shift your feet on the pedals if you know what you're doing.

If you need to go cheap just get 5050X's, if you want a lighter pedal go 5050XX's. I'm pretty impressed by them so far.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Dr Phil mmkay

mmmm...grippy

Another vote for 5.10's, also 5050XX with taller pins. Very grippy, almost to a fault (hard to shift foot around during gnarlier DH runs, have to actually lift up feet to change positions).

If you got money to spare, Straitlines are nice. But the ebay MG-1s look like quite the steal. Clipped in I also run Eggbeaters and Mallets (07), so I'm fairly partial to Crank Brothers.

Good luck with whatever decision you make on pedals but the 5.10s are a must, MUST!!

I AM I AM
    Another vote for the V12's, I've got the v12 mag, simply the best. And yes even better with good shoes such as 5.10s.

I'd go for the V8 if you're restricted by your budget, but if you can stretch the extra $$ to get the sealed bearing V12 it will be worth it because they will last much longer, and you end up potentially saving in the long term. Most cheaper pedals I've had that don't have sealed bearings generally didn't last more than 6 months before developing play - still ridable but annoying. I think my V12's have been going strong for a couple of years now and only just lost one pin!

Keep in mind that some poeple who have big feet tend to think that the V8 / V12 platform is a bit on the small side.

Peace Coast Style
    I actually vote against the 5050s. I do love Crank Brothers though.

I have run 3 pairs of 5050s. One pair of Xs and two pairs of XXs.

I got my first pair of 5050Xs for Christmas 2006. They lasted me untill August 2007. The bearings became toasted very fast. Although, they were the X model. I sent them in for warrantee and Crank Brothers was very very good and speedy with getting me a fresh new pair. They made a great mistake in sending me 5050XXs in replacement.

I also have been running a pair of XXs on my alternative bike since July. That bike doesn't get many miles but the pedals have held up. And I used them a few days at the skate park while my Xs were gettting warrantied.

The only problem thus far, is that the hardware is complete crap. The little allen bolts used to swap the plates strip faster than an oiled up girl in a club. This means that there has been many times that I've just not been able to get the plates off what so ever, they just are on the pedal for good unless I scope out a stripped bolt grabber. Also, this occurs on the bolts for swapping the pins. It's very scary, sometimes I'll be on an urban ride, and somehow, the hardware will have actually worked its way out of a plate, and have fallen out, and I look down, and a plate is completely sliding out of the pedal. That's a sticky situation, especially riding home with half a pedal.

The pedals have been great since the warantee. But I'm just not gonna go through the hassle anymore, I'm ordering Straitline Pedals tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Ever slip a pedal and slam into the seat? That little thing would disappear until I later got to the ER.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ducktape
    Another vote for the V12's, I've got the v12 mag, simply the best. And yes even better with good shoes such as 5.10s.

I'd go for the V8 if you're restricted by your budget, but if you can stretch the extra $$ to get the sealed bearing V12 it will be worth it because they will last much longer, and you end up potentially saving in the long term. Most cheaper pedals I've had that don't have sealed bearings generally didn't last more than 6 months before developing play - still ridable but annoying. I think my V12's have been going strong for a couple of years now and only just lost one pin!

Keep in mind that some poeple who have big feet tend to think that the V8 / V12 platform is a bit on the small side.
    Ok well my budget is a bit restricted but I'll see..... I'm guessing even with good shoes running my crappy stock pedals with 3mm pins for DHing isn't a good idea?

mtbr member
    Straitlines, screw your budget.

hmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Heals120
    I actually vote against the 5050s. I do love Crank Brothers though.

I have run 3 pairs of 5050s. One pair of Xs and two pairs of XXs.

I got my first pair of 5050Xs for Christmas 2006. They lasted me untill August 2007. The bearings became toasted very fast. Although, they were the X model. I sent them in for warrantee and Crank Brothers was very very good and speedy with getting me a fresh new pair. They made a great mistake in sending me 5050XXs in replacement.

I also have been running a pair of XXs on my alternative bike since July. That bike doesn't get many miles but the pedals have held up. And I used them a few days at the skate park while my Xs were gettting warrantied.

The only problem thus far, is that the hardware is complete crap. The little allen bolts used to swap the plates strip faster than an oiled up girl in a club. This means that there has been many times that I've just not been able to get the plates off what so ever, they just are on the pedal for good unless I scope out a stripped bolt grabber. Also, this occurs on the bolts for swapping the pins. It's very scary, sometimes I'll be on an urban ride, and somehow, the hardware will have actually worked its way out of a plate, and have fallen out, and I look down, and a plate is completely sliding out of the pedal. That's a sticky situation, especially riding home with half a pedal.

The pedals have been great since the warantee. But I'm just not gonna go through the hassle anymore, I'm ordering Straitline Pedals tomorrow.

same thing with the sliding out plate deal happened to my friend.... but mine have been solid

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    straitlines, screw your life
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

mtbr member
    bad experience with the sharp pins?

I AM I AM
    Ok well my budget is a bit restricted but I'll see..... I'm guessing even with good shoes running my crappy stock pedals with 3mm pins for DHing isn't a good idea?
    Many people like the MG1's for a budget option, sealed, grippy, and I believe they're even lighter than the V12 Mag's. What about the Kona Wah Wah's? Not sure if they're in your budget but from "hearsay" another proven design.

If I had to get a cheaper set for my bike it would probably be the V8's - I already know that I like the design and even though they're unsealed bearings they do come with a grease syringe - I imagine that would prolong the life greatly if you pump in fresh grease every now & then (like repacking car bearings or anything else).

Azonic A Frames were on my shortlist back when I was buying, and I'd probably add Shimano DX to the list of potentials too, but I guess both those would fall out of your budget as well.

I got mine from Speadgoat, it was just too much cheaper compared to local Aus prices!
    http://www.speedgoat.com/catalogB.asp?v=2&cat=39&dp=150
    They have a bit of a selection for your browsing pleasure

I'm only just starting to have a go at DH, pedal grip didn't come across my mind once the first time I tried it so I'm guessing they were adequate, as were the XT brakes with 6' rotors - I didn't run out of brake despite hanging on to them the whole way down pretty much!

I better get out of here before rambling on to death - As long as you're not running the cheap wellgos with no pins, anything with pins should be ok for a while anyway. Time to go bargain hunting - replaceable pins, sealed bearings and not a boat anchor for a reasonable price.....MG1's off ebay are probably hard to go past I guess.

not a forum admin
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    The Wellgo's have the set-screw type pins(allen bolt) which makes them very grippy. The length on mine was fairly long which made them a bit hard to get used to (I'm wearing 5.10 shoes). The only problem I've had with mine is having the pins rip out from impacts with rocks or just getting so mangled that I can't get them out to replace them. I just picked up some Premium Slim pedals and they're more what I'm looking for. Not quite as light as the mags but thinner and they have standard allen bolts that thread in from the spindle side of the platform (you can always get a wrench on them even if the bolt gets mashed)
    I've been running the Premiums for the past 4 or 5 months and I am very happy with them!
    The kona wahwah pedals are the same w/ an extra set of pins along the spindle.

SamIAm
    i have:

specialized lopro - good, light, pins have real allen heads! very nice, spindle is light, mine is kinda bent but thats what u get for light

animal hamiltons - kinda tall but bongproof. has big allenheads and some lil one, comes with loads of pins, sturdy, wide.

really anything with:

replaceable allenhead pins, something that you can just cut off and unscrew when they get mangled. easier with taller pins

other than that soemthing that you like. the pins really are what make all the difference
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Alright I'll look into all those pedals. So good riding shoes are essential? I have some pretty grippy shoes but I don't really like when they get all dirty... And they will get dirty obviously.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    5/10s and Atomlab Trailkings, for that glued to the bike feel. I hate my DMRs now

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUNKY NUGGET
    5/10s and Atomlab Trailkings, for that glued to the bike feel. I hate my DMRs now
    Why do you hate your DMR's? Do you have V-8's or V-12's?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Why do you hate your DMR's? Do you have V-8's or V-12's?
    I got V8s, the reason i dont like em is coz they are too fat, my trailkings are 13mm wide were as V8s are 25mm wide. V8s are easier to blow your foot off as they roll over the axle on a higher path, closer to the axle the better.
    My Trailkings have a sit in feeling, V8s a sit on feeling.

Bike Ninja |||
    I personally own:

Trailkings - favorite pedal ever. super thin, super tough, incredible grip with ANY shoe, lightweight, pretty cheap too.

Spec. Lo pro Mags - Pretty good, lots of traction, light weight. Only real gripe is they are flat.

Wellgo MG-1 - ok. Freakishly light, ok grip, not that durable though. Pretty fat too. bearings wear out quicker then i'd like. good value though.

Dangerboy Jr. Pedals - Incredible grip, but terrible design. They are square profile (no offset.) so you're more likely to roll back off them. Also they are stupid thick and heavy.

I have a few other's floating around. but Trailkings are my favorite by far. Get you some!
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    kona jackshit primo one of my fave pedals much better than the wah wah.

i had specialized lo pro mag 2,but the outer bearing has eaten itself and thats after just 2 months.

so now im trying out easton flatboys and the grip is comparable to my old jackshit primo but with much better quality finishing.

and all of these were used wearing 5.10.

mtbr member
    Lo Pro Mag 2's on both bikes. I do need some 5/10's to go with them - any recommendations or are they all good?

mtbr member
    V.12 mags! v.12 MAGS!! DO IT!

I honesty do not like my lopro's. I hate the lack of concave, and they develope play so quickly.

mtbr member
    Another vote for the DMR V-12's. I've had a set on my 303 for over a year now and I'm very satisfied with them. They also have an optional Ti shaft available......

Oh, So Interesting!
    Just got Tranny Stepdowns... so far they are great. They are very light and thin, lighter than Spec Lopro mags... I hope they are somewhat durable. Wah wahs look really nice too. I have cheaper Wellgos on the commuter bike, once you've used a thin pedal, its hard to get over the Wellgo's thickness.

Yeah, the straightlines do look sweet if you've got the cash. No bearings sounds like a good thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What about the Wellgo B67s, B54s, MG29s, and MG-52s?
    Found em all on this page.
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...?category=1674

mtbr member
    those MG-29's actually look relatively "nice" for the price. But to be honest, if I was getting a "cheap" pair of pedals, I've be heading towards a BMX pedal. Something like the animal hamiltons, or JC's. They are cheap, and BOMBPROOF.

http://www.danscomp.com/products.php...TS&show=Pedals

Cheap 'em out.

mtbr member

Fyi

Twenty6 pedals are DAMN light 374g a pair but pricey- work well and are maintenance free. I dig 'em and have been running them on both my bikes for a while. While supplies last we have them @ 15% off!!!
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...ODE=&BRAND.ID=

e2
    Don't drink it

mtbr member
    How in gods name do you justify spending that much money on a pair of pedals?! That is just retarded, no offence.

Even with my discount, i STILL would never buy them. I'd be much more happy with a set of "expensive" pedals like v.12 mags w/ ti spindles...

They look AWESOME - but have fun bashing them against rocks

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A Grove
    How in gods name do you justify spending that much money on a pair of pedals?! That is just retarded, no offence.

Even with my discount, i STILL would never buy them. I'd be much more happy with a set of "expensive" pedals like v.12 mags w/ ti spindles...

They look AWESOME - but have fun bashing them against rocks
    agreed sorry but those pedals are waay too much

All Mt, DH
    5050xx another vote here. I have loctited all the pins and screws that hold the plates on and had zero issues. I have been using them for 18 months. They have taken some rock impacts and survived well. I now use them on both my bikes VPFree and Blur 4x... awesome
    2007 Blur 4x
    2009 Driver 8

I AM I AM
    Oooh yeah I'd certainly hate to imagine the price of them over here in Oz!

Some people aren't happy unless it's expensive, some people go for what makes them happy regardless of expense.
    It's only money, unless of course you don't have any.

You know how they say "money is no object" well money is plenty of objects such as these pedals.

Members who have read this thread: 0