mtbr member
    Dec 2004

dh or enduro bike for wife

My wife needs a new bike for lift access riding. She is more apt to riding easy trails off the mountain at places like killington or highland. NO more than intermediate trails. I can pick up a nice used dw link dhr for short money. I have known the bike since new. It is way overkill a bike for her skill level but she would like the security and confidence this type of bike gives. She just wants a bike that is plush and stops well, has no idea of shock settings etc... Way overkill, but for $1500 its a good deal.

The other option is a hd enduro type bike. The air shocks would be easier to set up and a lighter ride for her overall. Thinking something like a kona process, transition patrol or something along those lines. The price would be double, 3k range. She already has a light xc trail bike.

Should I go with a dh bike or am I doing more harm than good by buying her a bike that is overkill for her skill level?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kotajack View Post
    My wife needs a new bike for lift access riding. She is more apt to riding easy trails off the mountain at places like killington or highland. NO more than intermediate trails. I can pick up a nice used dw link dhr for short money. I have known the bike since new. It is way overkill a bike for her skill level but she would like the security and confidence this type of bike gives. She just wants a bike that is plush and stops well, has no idea of shock settings etc... Way overkill, but for $1500 its a good deal.

The other option is a hd enduro type bike. The air shocks would be easier to set up and a lighter ride for her overall. Thinking something like a kona process, transition patrol or something along those lines. The price would be double, 3k range. She already has a light xc trail bike.

Should I go with a dh bike or am I doing more harm than good by buying her a bike that is overkill for her skill level?
    If this is strictly lift access then I'd say DH bike. They are made specifically to go down. No compromise. She'll feel much more compliant on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

always licking the glass

dh or enduro bike for wife

Quote Originally Posted by Junersun View Post
    If this is strictly lift access then I'd say DH bike. They are made specifically to go down. No compromise. She'll feel much more compliant on one.

This. I ride mainly intermediate trails on DH, and Iím looking to build up. I feel more comfortable doing this on a dh bike than an enduro bike.

Also, on steeper lines, the dh bike is far more confidence inspiring.

While I can ride an enduro bike on dh runs, I enjoy the dh bike much more on them. I can go faster with more confidence and do more runs without pain.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    kinda figured that was the best approach
    It definitely takes more skill to run an enduro bike on tech downhill runs. THe more confident the bike makes you the better. Its overkill bike for her but it will keep her out there longer plus its cheaper.

always licking the glass
    It definitely takes more skill to run an enduro bike on tech downhill runs. THe more confident the bike makes you the better. Its overkill bike for her but it will keep her out there longer plus its cheaper.
    Exactly. Iím pretty sure a dh bike is overkill for me too, but Iím having more fun on that than a trail bike. So thatís whatís importantóthe fun

mtbr member
    Stripes took the words right out of my mouth.

Glad to Be Alive
    dh bike will be more stable
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Not to make this less complicated though but I do think for green and blue runs body positioning on a enduro bike is much easier to attain than a DH bike. You really have to be conscious about weighting that front tire on the DH bike for tamer runs.

I still think DH bike is her best weapon of choice though. Plus they are badass!

Current Bikes

2015 Transition Patrol AL
    2016 YT Tues AL

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    Enduro with a dropper post is a better choice for blue/green trails, IMHO. A slammed saddle can be a PITA for some people on the flatter trails.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheDood View Post
    Enduro with a dropper post is a better choice for blue/green trails, IMHO. A slammed saddle can be a PITA for some people on the flatter trails.
    Depends on the mountain IMO, and the runs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Depends on your wife. Does she have enough body strength to handle a slack triple? Does she go fast enough. A slow rider on a 8 inch fork will be stalling it on square hits.
    Is your wife small, does the dh bike fit her properly, is it short enough that she can get off the back?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I have a Kona Process 153 and a Transition TR450. I've ridden the Process at the local bike park and at Whistler, lots of fun, very playful, to the point I do get played right off sometimes. The TR450 is a blast and more stable on landings, handles chunky very well. I'm faster on the TR450 and it's more confident inspiring. It's definitly helped my riding improve. The TR450 is only for park and shuttle, I ride the Process everywhere else, and it is a good bike on the downs.

If your wife wants an all around bike for more than just park, the Process is a good choice. If park only, DH bike is awesome. DH bikes are heavy but I have no problem handling mine and I'm 5'5 and 110 lbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheDood View Post
    Not much of that at either place he mentioned. A few spots at Killington require a bit of pedaling but not many, and Highland has next to none.

I have both an enduro bike (nomad) and a DH bike (glory) and based on the OP's post I'd go with the DH.
    Trail: Scalpel-Si / Sherpa / Fatboy
    Gravity: Nomad / Wilson
    Road: Stigmata / Slate

"Aah the great indoors - No One Ever"

It's carbon dontcha know.
    DH will give more confidence pointed downhill and be more forgiving to mistakes. Given the price you can pickup secondhand DHR's now that's a good choice.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The downhill bike market is a tough one these days. The DHR is a good bike, but I wouldn't pay $1500, too much in todays market.