dh disk brakes. avid or hope- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

dh disk brakes. avid or hope

i currently run the 8 ince bb7 on my dh bike. i plan to which because my xc bike needs diskbrakes and i already found someone who will swap his 6 ince rotors for the 8 inch ones so the goes to the xc bike and i dont know what to put in my dh bike

since nothing mechanic compared to avid, i thinking of switching to hydraulic, we only have suppliers of hope and avid. so, should i get 8inch juicy 7s or something hope?

or should i just buy new 6 inch bb7s for the xc bike and stick with the 8ince bb7s (which so far i dont have any problems with, except maybe for a little grabbyness which i dont mind a lot)?

mtbr member
    hope someone could help me with this... please

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Not a downhiller, but I would personally go with Juciy 7's for the Dh'er.

You may run into a small problem, you will probably need new bracket to convert your 8inch to 6inch, but you probably already knew that

One other problem, if your racing XC, then you may find the Avids to be too heavy, but thats onyl if your racing serisouly(which I doubt).

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    for dh, dont run avid, get the hope, maybe some mini's. Hope offers four and six piston callipers, thats bogues, and just overkill, but the dual piston mini's are awsome

http://www.go-ride.com/prod_brakes.html scroll down a little more than half way
    Spankin StabPrimo-- New in 04' but got the cool charkol 03 frame, got the monsters on there, azonic outlaw wheel set, mrp, hayes, tioga, soon rc--> dhx 5.0

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have the 4 piston Hopes on my FR bike and I would never use a different brake again. The Hopes modulate better than any other brake out there, but are also incredibly powerful. I've ridden the Avids, four piston Shimano, Hayes, etc. and thought that the lever feel and modulation of the Hopes was by far the best.

What Would Happen?
    As ripple220 said, is there even a contest? Juicy 7 are nice, but ... its up to you. I HOPE you choose the right one

mtbr member
    ok so im going with hope. but now, which ones? is it true the hopes are noisy?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My Hopes are quiet as can be. I have Mono M4's front and rear, both with 180mm (7in) rotors. They never heat up, never fade, and look beautiful on the bike. They take two or three rides to break in really well, but they stop and modulate better than most brakes straight out of the box. If you're building a DH bike, I would recommend 8in rotor in the front with 6in in the rear. That way you have huge power that won't heat up over a long course, and the small rear rotor makes the back almost anti-lock at DH speeds, which is awesome cause you will skid much less. There's really no need to go to the M6ti's up front, the M4's have all the power you'd ever want and are lighter.

mtbr member
    yeah, a lot of people were also saying so for m4.... m4 it is then... thanx