DH Bikes hitch rack options?- Mtbr.com
    Beyond the stars

DH Bikes hitch rack options?

The key here is BIKES, as in more than one!

Please:

1) If you have never tried to put (2) 50+ lbs bikes on a hitch rack resist the urge to respond.

2) If your brother's cousin's sisters, wife said she might know somebody who knows Feris . . . well you get the idea.

I would like to hear from folks that put 2 very heavy downhill bikes on a hitch mount rack.

What rack are you using? how does it work, do you like it?

I tried the new/old Sportworks "T2" and found that it put the bikes farther away from the back of the SUV than I would like (i.e. lots of weight out at the end of a long stick bolted to the back of our car) Not what I would call the best option.

I have a Yakima "hitchfork" and put 2 "kingcobra's" on it, but that puts the bikes VERY close together, which can cause pedal conflicts and platform pedals on DH bikes can cause MAJOR damage to monocoque frames, as well as regular frames.

I see that Yakima has a new model to compete with the Sportworks models, and Thule just aquired Sportworks, are there other options that work better? Hollywood? Saris?

If I'm taking a long road trip with 6 or 7 grand worth of bikes bouncing behind my SUV, I think if they were to fall off, well that might ruin my trip . . .

Rocket Scientist
    I use the Sportworks "Transport" Rack, it works well for me.

I have had mine for several years, and has never given me any kind of problems.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    I've also got a Sportworks DH/Freeride model and it's been sweet. I know what your saying about the distance off the rear, but honestly it's never been an issue so I'm not sure what your worried about. What bothers you about it??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have the new T2 which is working nicely, but it is NOT approved for bikes over 40 pounds. You can't be too choosy with pedal contact vs. "bikes too far out" if we're talking 50 pound bikes. I certainly wouldn't HANG a heavy bike on a road trip on a Yakima or Thule.

Honestly? You need a pickup truck.

rain rain go away...
    50 lbs for ONE bike. s*** that's one heavy DH bike.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by peachy-B
    50 lbs for ONE bike. s*** that's one heavy DH bike.
    Nah.........not really. Said bike in pic weighed @ 52lbs

BTW, that's my Sportworks rack that's never given me any issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I use the Sportworks Transport with 3 mounts on the back of a Toyota Tacoma. We carry a Norco A-Line, a Norco Shore, and a 40lb. Azonic Saber. I've had about 160lbs. on there with no problems. We drive the roads of Pennsylvania and New Jersey which are notorious because they are craptastically bumpy. One problem with this rack is the wheel trays it comes with, they are a bit too small for tires 2.3 and above depending on the manufacturer. This is easily fixable because Sportworks makes wider trays, but they do cost around $30 each if I remember correctly.

I know you asked for no grapevine material, but I have seen and installed the new Yakima Hookup on the vehicles of several customers at the shop I work at. Yakima promoting this rack as being able to take FR/DH bikes in every wheel tray, not just the one closest to the hitch. Most other rack companies with similar products are somewhat shady about how heavy is too heavy above the 40lb. mark. The Yakima also holds the bikes in a steadier and more secure manner, and does not rub the paint off of some fork lowers like the Sportworks does.

telemarc
    Jan 2005

Sportworks with big bikes

It shouldn't be a issue if you have a good hitch .Here's mine with the Faith, Bullit and trance on it . I also put a reign on but it's not in the photo.If you get the high rise assembly it is 5 inches higher for lot's of clearance.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=94923

mtbr member
    The T2 says it will hold 60 lb bikes and can hold 4 bikes with all attachements. Thats 240lbs of DH bikes

Beyond the stars

Yea, these babies ain't not panzy XC bikes

I guess with all that weight being at the end of a rack, it seems like you are puting a lot of leverage on the hitch (yea, I know the hitch is rated for like 4 or 5 hundred lbs tung (sp) weight) but somehow it just makes me a little "uneasy" watching our bikes bouncing around back there.

Plus, it puts them up so high you can't see out the back very well and other drivers can't see your brake lights (as if that seems to matter to THEM)

Yes, I wish I had a full-sized truck to haul them in, but I'm sorry to say, I/We don't so we must make do with what we have . . .

Yes, they are heavy, and would hate to have to get them replaced . . . or watch them go skidding along the freeway in a big heap!!! I have nightmares just thinking about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got last years Sportworks DH/FR model. Rated for 2-50 lb bikes. I don't really find it hangs the bike too far back, and it's plenty sturdy.

MTB SOCAL

Sportworks

I also use the Sportworks Transport rack with wider hoops for DH tires. It works great! Here's a pic with 2 DH bikes and an Enduro on the hitch. Loading and unloading the 40+ lb bikes takes a few seconds.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

Glad to Be Alive
    sportsworks and they go on and off faster than any other rack
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DJBiker
    I guess with all that weight being at the end of a rack, it seems like you are puting a lot of leverage on the hitch (yea, I know the hitch is rated for like 4 or 5 hundred lbs tung (sp) weight) but somehow it just makes me a little "uneasy" watching our bikes bouncing around back there.

Plus, it puts them up so high you can't see out the back very well and other drivers can't see your brake lights (as if that seems to matter to THEM)

Yes, I wish I had a full-sized truck to haul them in, but I'm sorry to say, I/We don't so we must make do with what we have . . .

Yes, they are heavy, and would hate to have to get them replaced . . . or watch them go skidding along the freeway in a big heap!!! I have nightmares just thinking about it.
    Now don't get me wrong I'm not bagging on you and I completely understand your apprehension, but your worrying for nothing. There is no way to completely protect your bikes, as long as your transporting your bike on the outside of any vehicle, be in on a roof rack, truck bed or hitch rack. I've seen bikes come off roof racks in accidents, fall out of truck beds and fall off hitch racks. Some where the drivers fault, others where due to accidents caused by other drivers.

I drive around so.cal, lots of traffic, and travel to Tahoe and Vegas with my bike and have never had any close calls. If anything, I've become a better drive because I pay more attention to others and leave myself more options in traffic, don't stop or crive so close or behind other cars in case I need to make a quick adjustment due to some stupid driver on a cell phone or putting on her makeup. Anyhow, I think you get the picture and trust me after you've spent some time driving around with a hitch rack, you'll relax a bit. Good luck whatever you decide to due.

Zip
    Joe Dirt Status
    Sportworks!

Word!!!

Beyond the stars

Perfect, a pathfinder/QX4 or whatever is what we have . . .

Quote Originally Posted by davet
    That's what I wanted to see! thanks.

Yes, I'm sure my fears are unfounded. We picked up one (for $350, ouch) and assembled it but it still seemed "not perfect" and it put the bikes farther away than our other rack, so back to the store it went . . . (with the T2 the bike's pedal closest to the SUV was 16 inches away from the hatchlid, with our other rack it was 11inches, so we opted for older Hitchfork with two kingcobra's on it for now, unless I can find something I "like" better.

Thanks for all the input, I feel somewhat better about it. It just may be that I have an unatural fear of bike racks, guys names smith and snakes . . . I may need some downhill therapy . . .

Some Assembly Required
    If it's allowing your hitch & bikes to bounce around, you better be glad it is that far away from your car/truck. Sounds like its fully capable of holdin' the weight, best to make it more stable & be glad it hasn't knocked out your rear window.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

banned
    Here is my hitch rack...it is by Yakima, but I am not sure what model it is. I am not even sure they make this particular rack anymore...but they should. My DH9 weighs 50 pounds and the other 2 bikes are 40 something each. It hold the bikes but setting the rims in the dished out sections, then pulling a rubber stap over the top of the tires. Then at the bottom, to keep things from moving around there are plastic hooks that hook to the bottom of your rims and you pull the strap tight. This rack is by far the best rack I have used. You can haul 3 bikes, plus spare tires in between each bike as buffers. If this rack ever wheres out...I will have another built just like it, if Yakama doesnt still sell it. If anyone wants better pictures of it...let me know.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    I have the new T2 which is working nicely, but it is NOT approved for bikes over 40 pounds. You can't be too choosy with pedal contact vs. "bikes too far out" if we're talking 50 pound bikes. I certainly wouldn't HANG a heavy bike on a road trip on a Yakima or Thule.

Honestly? You need a pickup truck.
    wrong...

Like Kanter said..the T2 was especially designed to hold bikes that are up to 60lbs...

I have one right now and LOVE it...much stronger than my older TranSport series rack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Just picked up a SC bullit so now I'm looking at getting a good rack for it. My first choice is the Sportswork Freerider DH. Is there an option for a 3rd or 4th tray? Just curious because there might be that occasional day when a friend or two wants to tag along. Also does Yakima make anything comparable to the Freerider DH? Unless I'm blind, none of the racks on their site are rated for a specific weight so thats why I was asking. I can get really good prices on Yakima stuff from my LBS. thanks
    Last edited by Gman; 05-11-2005 at 12:48 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson6
    I use the Sportworks "Transport" Rack, it works well for me.

I have had mine for several years, and has never given me any kind of problems.
    I agree...they rule
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman
    Just picked up a SC bullit so now I'm looking at getting a good rack for it. My first choice is the Sportswork Freerider DH. Is there an option for a 3rd or 4th tray? Just curious because there might be that occasional day when a friend or two wants to tag along. Also does Yakima make anything comparable to the Freerider DH? I can get really good prices on Yakima stuff from my LBS. thanks
    do you have a 2" hitch? then the Sportworks T2 (2") can take up to 4 bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Ya i have a 2inch hitch. How does it handle the heavier bikes. Granted I'll probably only have 1 40+lbs bike on there, but just want to be on the safe side. I know sportworks sold some of their business to Thule so which part was it?

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Ya i have a 2inch hitch. How does it handle the heavier bikes. Granted I'll probably only have 1 40+lbs bike on there, but just want to be on the safe side. I know sportworks sold some of their business to Thule so which part was it?
    Oher than the transit division (all the Sportworks racks on buses) - all the rest was acquired by Thule.

Only expect to start seeing re-branded Sportworks racks in 2006. For now it remains under the Sportworks name.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    how does the transport series do in terms of holding heavier bikes. Don't want it to **** up while carrying a couple grand in bikes on the back.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    how does the transport series do in terms of holding heavier bikes. Don't want it to **** up while carrying a couple grand in bikes on the back.
    the T2 is specifically designed for heavier bikes. New 4-bar linkage hitch assembly is twice as strong as the TranSport series rack, enabling you to carry 4, 40lb bikes or 3, 50lb bikes. You can even do 2, 50lb bikes on the smaller size hitch assembly (1 and 1/4). You cannot do heavy bikes on a smaller hitch on any other rack.

I'm testing one right now (on a 1 and 1/4 hitch)

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    great, just what I wanted to hear. Nice WRX, I use to drive the an 02 sedan myself. Stage 4 performance among other things.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    great, just what I wanted to hear. Nice WRX, I use to drive the an 02 sedan myself. Stage 4 performance among other things.
    No worries...glad I could help!

yeah I like the WRX - although I've been thinking of trading or seller it in favor of a Honda Element, which would be more convenient for my needs. I like the fact that you can fit your bikes upright in the back of the Element - great for road tripping!

pwn3rator
    sportworks is teh way to go...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

pro bud spud
    six bikes

hands up who wants to die
    How much does the T2 weigh?
    I have to park on the street, and will need to lug the rack back into my apartment after each use so it doesn't get stolen..

-r