which DH bike for women- Mtbr.com
    Mat
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. which DH bike for women

my girlfriend just started to join me on DH rides and there is a limited range of hire bikes in her size - it looks like we need to get a bike for her.
    which model/ size seems to work well for women? any women DH riders care to share their experience of different bikes ?!
    she is about 5'8"

ta

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    my girlfriend just started to join me on DH rides and there is a limited range of hire bikes in her size - it looks like we need to get a bike for her.
    which model/ size seems to work well for women? any women DH riders care to share their experience of different bikes ?!
    she is about 5'8"

ta
    isn't 5' 8" pretty standard? I would think that medium would be fine... or maybe a small depending on which bike.

Former Noob Herder
    assuming she did the dishes after making you supper, there are alot of frame sizes available for her. Like was said, most small to medium sized frame would be fine, with specific adjustments for stem length/bar width/seat stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

Turner DHR

Allot of women I know ride DHR's, like this little ripper chick Kote Driscoll. She absolutely rips on hers, definitely worth a look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VIA
    banned
    For a 5''8 woman I'd say a size midium pink Pacific from toys'r us will do it....

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    yeh but remember alot of chicks dont have a whole lot of upper body strength...

so a smaller bike is going to be easyer to throw around than a bigger one...so id go with a small...but somthing like a DHR like red5 suggested would be a nice choice as im sure the guys at turner would help you out alot if you told them it was for your girlfriend as there customer service seems to be quite good...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

I wanna talk to Samson!
    small gemini dh

'nuff said.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    small gemini dh

'nuff said.
    yeh something like that...small compact and flickable...and not heavy either...

Cynical Bystander
    I've seen lots of women in my area (obviously older than me ) riding Lenzsports and Astrix Hucksters/Strykes. It seems that these are pretty light bikes that are build well and can be easily setup to be very dh oriented but light at the same time.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

go big or go home
    she is about 5'8"

ta
    theres not really a bike designed for women...the only thing i can thnk of on a bike that's desgined for a woman is a different seat....

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    theres not really a bike designed for women...the only thing i can thnk of on a bike that's desgined for a woman is a different seat....
    I think he meant one that fits most women well...not necessarily is specifically designed for women.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    you say that like women need bikes specifically designed for them...chicks need the same things we need in a bike...

thats like saying they need different cars designed for chicks...

PWFTH...

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    you say that like women need bikes specifically designed for them...chicks need the same things we need in a bike...

PWFTH...
    OWNED.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

I wanna talk to Samson!

PWFTH...
    duh dude, everyone knows women need special made pink bikes with integrated tampon dispensers and make up department

Cynical Bystander
    duh dude, everyone knows women need special made pink bikes with integrated tampon dispensers and make up department

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! And of course for the cars they need automatic guiding systems because as we all know women can't drive.

JUST KIDDING. Women don't get mad at me...please.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    owned...

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!! And of course for the cars they need automatic guiding systems because as we all know women can't drive.

JUST KIDDING. Women don't get mad at me...please.
    LOL!
    of course. i make fun of my moms lack of driving abilitys all the time. she loves me for it

2 more...

Cynical Bystander
    LOL!
    of course. i make fun of my moms lack of driving abilitys all the time. she loves me for it

2 more...
    Done and done....
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Done and done....
    im gonna try and get 1500 by the end of tonight.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    that would be 17 more posts in the next 4 hours

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by Comtbiker12
    Done and done....
    post whore...

go big or go home
    I think he meant one that fits most women well...not necessarily is specifically designed for women.
    i was talking about how he said which MODEL/size fits women best...sorry i worded that wrong

Get off yer arse and on yere bike!

Former Noob Herder

PWFTH...
    womens bodies are proportioned differently (no, i'm not talking about TnA), thats why theres womens cloathing (not just fashion), different sports equipment, even Gary Fisher i believe makes women specific geometry.

Oh and those new cars that have adjustable foot pedal settings, those were designed for women since traditonal ergonomic models were based on average male proportions. So yeah, they do infact design cars for chicks now....

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    womens bodies are proportioned differently (no, i'm not talking about TnA), thats why theres womens cloathing (not just fashion), different sports equipment, even Gary Fisher i believe makes women specific geometry.

Oh and those new cars that have adjustable foot pedal settings, those were designed for women since traditonal ergonomic models were based on average male proportions. So yeah, they do infact design cars for chicks now....
    (grinning whilst giving you the finger)

you just have to make me look stupid dont you...

I wanna talk to Samson!
    (grinning whilst giving you the finger)

you just have to make me look stupid dont you...
    you do a pretty good job of that yourself

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    (laughing)

i knew somone was goign to say that i just couldnt put my finger on who...

Former Noob Herder
    well that was like killing one bird with two stones....

Cynical Bystander
    well that was like killing one bird with two stones....
    Hahaha, I actually had to read that twice because my mind automatically read the normal cliche.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Mat
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    thanks!

women do have slightly different proportions - slimmer shoulders, generally shorter arms ... most female xc racers have custom frames/ setups or female specific designs. I just wondered whether therea are DH bikes that are prefered by girls ??

... not that surprised though that there don't seem to be too many girls on this forum .. given the comments and the juvenile flair in some of the comments above .

Cynical Bystander
    thanks!

women do have slightly different proportions - slimmer shoulders, generally shorter arms ... most female xc racers have custom frames/ setups or female specific designs. I just wondered whether therea are DH bikes that are prefered by girls ??

... not that surprised though that there don't seem to be too many girls on this forum .. given the comments and the juvenile flair in some of the comments above .
    I think that zachdank's friend irieness? or something is on the boards. Try posting this in the Women'sLounge because I think there are more people that do dh over there and probably don't visit the DH board because of us juveniles.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

New project, TBA shortly
    FYI, ridemonkey.com has a women's forum, so that might be a place to post as well...

usually main issues will be top tube length and standover. the reason you rarely see 15" DH bikes is b/c of the tire hitting the seat on full compression... if she were short, you'd probably be looking at a 15" 7 inch travel FR bike. my gf is about 5' 1" and she did really well on one that I built for her for Killington.

for her being 5' 8" you've got a LOT of options, basically look for something with about 8" of travel, low compression ratio on the rear shock, and lighter components. think FR rims (a friend of mine who races spent all of last season on Rhyno-Lite XLs), 2.5 tires, etc. go for a light frame, something simple (single-pivot?) to reduce weight, and has good standover. make sure that suspension (front and rear) are set up for her body weight, and don't hesitate to call up progressive/fox/manitou for advice on what the shock should be sprung at.

of course, this assumes that she's your normal 135lb 5' 8" chick, if she's 5' 8", weighs 220 and can bench press your body weight and rides like a steam-roller, then by all means just go for big, heavy and strong.

hope this helps... having a chick that rides is awesome.

pic of the bike I built up for my gf for a killington trip:

Former Noob Herder
    your GF must applaud your sensitivity

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004

had the same deal with my gf...

she is about 5'8"

ta
    if she's just thinking about riding with you and maybe the occasional dh race, consider a quality fr bike, like a banshee chaparral or something. You can easily find a size that'll fit her, they are less expensive than a dh race bike, and can be set up to perform amazingly in a variety of conditions...even run a drs or something so she can have a granny gear! Got my gf a haro X2 (I think that's the model) swapped out most of the bits for quality bits and it's a smoking bike for her...5/6 inches, stout enough for me to ride (I'm 250 lbs, she's about 120, 5ft. 4inches tall) and it weighs about 31 lbs., it can handle anything from long xc rides to dh shuttle runs (I also built a 24 rear wheel to swap out when we're going dh'ing/fr'ing.

With that amount of travel and her size/weight, it's really a better solution for her than a full-blown dh rig. hope that helps.
    "...his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Recovering Weight Weenie
    My wife is 5'8".
    A medium Bullit fits perfect.
    She did a 5 days Moab trip on it, climbing and everything...
    And the 12 Hour DH on it...
    And Am Cup #3 on it.
    It's very versatile.

PWFTH...

CHICK CARS EXIST.

5. Dodge Neon

"Neons are Barbie cars: little and cute and rounded in the hips. Even in black, they are feminine and adorable, only just a bit tougher, like Tattoo Barbie."

4. VW Jetta

"Anything by Volkswagen is a chick car. VW realized this years ago and joined forces with another company to sell guy cars--they called that company Porsche."

3. Mazda Miata

"I discovered this phenomenon when I got a Miata. "Girlie car." That's all I heard

2. VW Cabriolet

"All teen-age girls classify them as cute. 'Nuff said."

1. VW Beetle "The VW Beetle. A chick car, definitely. And made to be so. How? I know of no other automobile with a FLOWER VASE as standard equipment."

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Oregon
    CHICK CARS EXIST....
    teehee....

in the 50s they recognized the woman market and had special editions (of those big winged model cars) where they had pink paint, analogous interiors, purse hangers, vanity mirrors, might of even come with a built in makeup kit to compliment the car colors, etc. Basically your typical stereotypical sexisism on wheels...

speaking of the Neon (or should say the SRT-4), anyone else feel a bit torn with this car? i mean with 230hp and 250lb-ft in a light weight little car for 22K, yet still has some soft girlyesque lines to it....

Doesnt ride Banshees
    no, i'm not talking about TnA
    Whats TnA?

As someone else said, the DHR sounds like a good choice, not super long, good standover, lightweight. Pair it up with a light fork like a boxxer, be nice dh rig thats friendly with the lady. You could even take it out when you break parts on your rig and still be happy

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    Whats TnA?

As someone else said, the DHR sounds like a good choice, not super long, good standover, lightweight. Pair it up with a light fork like a boxxer, be nice dh rig thats friendly with the lady. You could even take it out when you break parts on your rig and still be happy
    tits and ass....jeez, way to use your head to figure things out.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Pro Crastinator
    small Turner DHR........

Doesnt ride Banshees
    I already knew that COmtbiker21, i just asked my mom a few minutes ago.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    I already knew that COmtbiker21, i just asked my mom a few minutes ago.
    AHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

cool dude
    you must have a pretty big kitchen if she needs a bike.

i find that most bikes built specifically for women are cheap toy store bikes and the companies that do make women specific frames, i know GT used to, only did it on the lower end bikes and they frames were never as strong. like a million people already said just look at small bikes. at 5'8" she's taller than me so she definitly has plenty of choices but the key to finding anything is testing.

MTB SOCAL

DH bike for women

A girl I ride with recently was shopping for a DH bike. We looked at the Gemini DH, the Bullit, and the Specialized BigHit FSR. We ended up with a BigHit and she has been very happy with the purchase. The bike is well proportioned for her and is a reasonable weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

not really a noob
    tara llanes rides a giant dh team
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

9 Lives Baby!

Bullit

Mat:

I'm 5'7" and my medium SC Bullit is awesome. Some other chicks I ride with have Gemini's, Intense M1's, and a lot do well on the Big Hits they rent out.
    Good luck and Happy Holidays.
    "You want bread? TWO DOLLARS!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    No No No. She needs it to ride from the Bedroom to the Kitchen, you cant go down the stairs fast enough on a Cross-Country bike so he wants to get her something with more travel...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant
    that was probably the single funniest statement ever posted on an internet message board, or anywhere else for that matter