dh bike upgrade: which one?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

dh bike upgrade: which one?

Hi !

I would like to upgrade my current downhill bike (Cannondale Gemini) for a new one. My issue? I'm 5'4 and my inseam is 28''. Thus, I need to have a bike with a low standover. I want to ride it at Mont-St-Anne, Bromont, Whistler, etc. Thus, it needs to be geared towards downhill riding.

Let me know which dh bike would be good for me and any idea where I can test-ride them?

Intense soccom
    SantaCruz VPFree (I love it yet too high standover)
    Devinci Wilson (Would that be too big?)

Other ideas?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Transition BottleRocket
    http://transitionbikes.com/2007/BottleRocket.cfm

has a 27.5 standover on all sizes but you would take a small

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ever tried a Specialized out for SO? They typically have a pretty low top tube (swooping). I just picked up a Demo 7 I. The Demo 7 II would be a bit lighter. If you're looking for a dual crown check out the Demo 8. It's a pretty light bike for the travel!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    check out giant too, you could probably throw a leg over a reign and maybe even a glory without trouble

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    yeah, those are all good choices, um whats your budget? thats also very helpful to know

mtbr member
    Intense Socom.
    Trek T1 . MOJO SL 2011 Fox 32 Talas 1X10 FTW

N* Bomber Crew
    I say Morewood Izimu even though you didn't have it in your choices.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ikilledkenny2
    Intense Socom.
    second that!!

Bike Ninja |||
    a Small Demo 7 has a stand over right at 27" if i remember correctly (measured one for a customer a few days back) and they are light stock, with the option of running 7.7" in the rear if wanted.
    I would stay away from the giant glory if you are a small-er person, as they tend to be on the heavier side of the spectrum. Just weighed one the other day. size medium, bone stock save for ghetto tubeless, and dx clip pedals :48.64lbs on a digi scale.

the socom isn't too bad either. those you can get SMALL!
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chooofoojoo
    a Small Demo 7 has a stand over right at 27" if i remember correctly (measured one for a customer a few days back) and they are light stock, with the option of running 7.7" in the rear if wanted.
    You've got one also? (avatar pic?)

Hubby has a Socom and really likes it. Getting a 40R to put on it shortly, though.

I got my Demo for a killer price, so if price is an option it may be a good way to go. No idea about the other frames/bikes, though.

Also to the OP - is it for DH recreational riding, or more racing??

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you

Hubby has a Socom and really likes it. Getting a 40R to put on it shortly, though.

I got my Demo for a killer price, so if price is an option it may be a good way to go. No idea about the other frames/bikes, though.

Yup. the thing is i'm 6'4" tall so i ride a large, but sizing wise they run smaller then before. Love the demo, very active over rough stuff, and also a great value.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    If vp-free than maybe intense vpx (cheaper than socom and more durable yet more of a fr bike)

Any one knows the top tube height in new turner dhr? It's one of the bikes out there

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you

I swear to god i saw this Demo and the aforementioned Socom in Mammoth this past weekend. I was the dude on a green Transition dirtbag, at the top of Bullet asking if you guys were from Tustin.

nice bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Demo 7, Bottlerocket or wait for the women-specific Siren from Transition.

mtbr member
    I don't want to threadjack but...

How do/did you like the Gemini? (Other than fit.)

mtbr member
    VPFree isn't going to be any good. It's too big, and the sky high BB is craptastic for DH. (Ducks for cover).

A small BR would fit, but isn't my idea of a serious DH bike. I've got one, and absolutly love it, but I don't think it's really what you want.

Ventana El Cerevo would be a really good choice. Ditto for the Socom, if you're into VPP. I'm not a huge fan, but that's completly my preference. A Demo 7 would fit the bill, though you could do better for a race bike. Sounds like you're not really racing though. Or am I wrong?

El Pollo Diablo
    /me agrees with HAB

BR isn't what I'd consider a DH bike, though it can be thrown into that role if you really need...
    check out the reviews for all the bikes mentioned in this thread, get a feel for what others think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blender
    I swear to god i saw this Demo and the aforementioned Socom in Mammoth this past weekend. I was the dude on a green Transition dirtbag, at the top of Bullet asking if you guys were from Tustin.

nice bike!
    Sweet!! That was us Not from Tustin (our checkbook is thanking us), but we do hit up the Path every now and then, and mail order when we don't make it over there

One of the best shops I've ever been to! I've and visited a few around the SW US.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremgirl
    Hi !

I would like to upgrade my current downhill bike (Cannondale Gemini) for a new one. My issue? I'm 5'4 and my inseam is 28''. Thus, I need to have a bike with a low standover. I want to ride it at Mont-St-Anne, Bromont, Whistler, etc. Thus, it needs to be geared towards downhill riding.

Let me know which dh bike would be good for me and any idea where I can test-ride them?

Intense soccom
    SantaCruz VPFree (I love it yet too high standover)
    Devinci Wilson (Would that be too big?)

Other ideas?
    Thanks!
    I'm 5'6'' and a small devinci ollie with the seat slammed fit me like a glove IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm 5'3 and ride a 16" frame

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    @Mt. Ashland: which bike do you ride and what is your standover? thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0