DH bike rack on a Jeep?- Mtbr.com
    Bike Hustler

DH bike rack on a Jeep?

Anyone have suggestions experience on a cost effective rack to hold 3 DH bikes on a jeep wrangler?
    Spare tire mounted rack?
    This ones a hardtop so maybe take off the spare and rig up the trunk rack I have?
    Would like to do a hitch mounted one but no hitch installed on the back.
    SHAM-WOW

Road/XC/Freeride
    Man I am in the almost exact same situation!

The car came with a spare tire rack but it only holds 'traditionally' designed bikes with a long top tube.

I'm looking at a Thule hitch mount rack but they're pretty substancial and expensive.

I've got a soft-top so roof-rack is out of the question for me
    I'm on the Twitter.

Glad to Be Alive
    get a hitch rack
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    yea, hitch rack is definitely your way to go. most of them pivot out the way too, still giving you gate access. thule and yakima both make a ton and rackattack.com has some great prices right now.

Is flexy
    I have a jeep and regularly transport dh bikes. I use the thule expressway or hitching post (which ever one has the locks but that are all the same). the rack clears a 33" spare tire on a swing away carrier so it will work with just about any spare tire. The trunk rack on the hard top just sounds sketch. Now i'm looking into the T2 hitch mount upright rack because they look pretty sweet too.

mtbr member
    I have a Sportworks hitch mount holds up to 4 bikes on my Jeep. It kicks ass since its a tray mount you never have to take wheels off,easy on easy off. Very stable does not rock around. Even holds my DH bike with Monster fork and long wheel base. Cost a little more but well worth it I would not have any other kind after this one..

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Hitches are cheap and easy to install on a Jeep, then do as the others suggested and install a hitchmount rack.

I like air!
    Hitch rack is the only way to go. I dont think I would trust a roof rack on the top because 3 bikes will create a lot of wind resistance and stress out the bolts that hold the top on. You might find yourself roofless and bikeless.

conjoinicorned
    i used the spare tire rack on my old wrangler, i often had 3 50lb DH bikes on it, no problems on rough fireroads or anything.

a hitch rack will be much more secure (i use one on my cherokee), but hitches are not cheap. i got my spare tire rack brand new for 60 bucks (swagman).
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Is flexy
    My hard top barely makes it through an automatic car wash with the high powered blow dryers at the end so nothing makes me believe that screwing a roofrack to the top of it would be a good idea. My buddy cracked his hard top with the wind resistance from snowboards so something tells me 3 DH bikes would get ugly....quick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'd warn against a spare tire mount unless you would prefer to replace your tailgate. I use to have a wrangler and an oversized spare 33" alone can twist your tailgate after a while. Do yourself a favor and go have a hitch installed, after all it can be used for more than just a bike rack. You might want to consider just replacing your rear bumper, theres alot of options out there that have a reciever built into them for under 250$

mtbr member

$200 and you're rollin'

Class III Hitch on ebay is $105 new. Pick up a 24" x 60" cargo carrier for $60-100 on ebay to put into the back of it. Then get some tie downs that the dirt bike guys use with the soft strap options for $20 and you got yourself a 3-4 bike carrier, setup for your wrangler with plenty of room to get into the tailgate. I had this setup on my grand cherokee, and will do the same with my liberty.
    Attached Images Attached Images

no big deal
    I installed a hitch on mine, since my friend had a bike rack he never used and said I could borrow. Then once I installed the hitch my friend dug out the rack and I realized it was only going to work with a traditional bike, which is fine for my dj rig. Either way, I usually just end up hanging the front tire out the back with an old towel between the down tube and back door, then lock them to the roll bar. Probably wouldn't work so well with a hard top though.
    Enjoy yourself, bi***es.
    It's a celebration.
    -Dave Chappelle-

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm in a similar situation, with two bikes. I've been researching the Thule T2, Yakima HookUp, and Saris Cycle-On. The Yakima does NOT look like it will fit with anything other than a standard size spare. I'm running 33 x 12.50's. The good people at Yakima claim the hitch pin to rack measurement is 9", which is way to tight. The Thule and Saris appear to be about 15 - 16" hitch pin to rack. This weekend will see me trying to convince the local dealers to let me try them on. Of course, you would need the 4 bike versions, which are super expensive. The good thing there is that any shoudl work, as you leave the rack closest to the spare empty...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I use a thule hitch mount on my wrangler, and it clears a 35x12.5 with no problem on my swingout carrier. While you are at it getting a hitch go ahead and get a bumper with an integrated hitch from a company like jeeperman or AtoZ fabrications that will keep the hitch tucked up tight.

a bumper like this one...i made this with a removable tire carrier but you get the idea of the hitch being tucked up close.

Is flexy
    Quote Originally Posted by Reamer
    Class III Hitch on ebay is $105 new. Pick up a 24" x 60" cargo carrier for $60-100 on ebay to put into the back of it.
    I really like the idea of that tray to hold one bike but doesn't multiple bike get difficult to keep them on there? It alomst looks like you could attach roof rack trays to that basket but then why not just get a T2 I guess. And to 97tjguzzy...nice lookin rig for sure. I got an 04 rubicon on 285/75s and a 92 yj with a rubicon express 4.5" lift ans 33's I picked up for $800, the deal of a lifetime. I also totaled my '00 tj on 32's not that long ago. I think jeeps are the one thing more addictive than heroin or bikes

mtbr member
    Get a Saris cycle on pro rack they are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOu can get extra add ons for either 3 or 4 bikes.....they are held on by the tires and not the frame and the bikes dont move,,,,and dont touch each other either

http://www.saris.com/p-234-cycle-on-pro.aspx

Is flexy
    hey wrench, any update on if the T2 will work with a 33" spare? My spare is 285/75/16 so a 33.1x11.4" tire. I have the T2 rack sitting in front of me but before I take it out of the box I was wondering if it will work.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a hitch mount and the type of rack that clamps onto the front tire near the fork brace along with a rear tire strap. They sell similar ones at Go-ride.com

Members who have read this thread: 0