mtbr member
    Jan 2015

DH bike that matches Nomad?

Planning to hit N* and Whistler a few times this coming season. I'm new to bike parks. I ride a Nomad on the trails around Santa Cruz. What DH bikes should i be looking at that might have enough similarity to the Nomad to provide some sense of familiarity? I'm not looking to race, just have fun. Thx.

mbtr member
    First couple rides just run the nomad.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    As much as people are saying these enduro bikes can handle bike parks, a DH bike is on another genre.

Other than full on DH bikes there are also in betweener bikes like BAnshee darkside, intense uzzi and knolly delirium which are good to go with DC forks.

Although my test riding is very limited, I really enjoyed the transition tr500. That is a fun bike. Waiting for my YT tues to come for to take that bike through the ringer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yeah - I definitely want a full on DH bike. I know what the nomad can do, but I plan to start logging more days at lift assisted parks and as great as the nomad is, I want a dedicated DH rig to tackle bigger stuff.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Samo831 View Post
    Yeah - I definitely want a full on DH bike. I know what the nomad can do, but I plan to start logging more days at lift assisted parks and as great as the nomad is, I want a dedicated DH rig to tackle bigger stuff.
    hmmm Nomad then V-10 ...pretty simple
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Figured that would be the obvious choice. Any other similar bikes?

mtbr member
    Intense M16C. It's a VPP as well.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Jedi!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    +1 Jedi.

Best DH bike on the market, hands down.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Jedi!
    Will be my next bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    How does the Jedi jump? I know of plows through everything, but how does it do when you want to throw it around?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    hmmm Nomad then V-10 ...pretty simple
    Agreed. Keep it in the family...same Santa Cruz VPP system.

Whatever you do, don't get Specialized. They're an evil company.
    Intense 951 Evo and Intense Carbine 29

mtbr member
    Just cause you like the nomad, don't think your DH bike needs to be like it. Your nomad is meant to be pedaled uphill, while no DH bike is built for that. So to say you want a bike like the nomad isn't clear cut. DH bikes are plush- AM bikes aren't nearly as plush cause they need to be pedaled up.

Demo some bikes and feel them out. Your nomad and a V10 won't feel the same cause the geo is dramatically different. I.e. BB height, reach, stack, seatpost height, wheelbase, tire size/weight, headtube angle...

I like my Trek Remedy, but would never in a million years buy a Session. My Devinci Wilson is now my go-to DH bike. Before that, IH Sunday.

There's no such thing as one-bike-fits-all. A lot of people love the Jedi, but my buddy who can wheelie, manual and jump the $#1+ out of an old school Gemini couldn't wheelie, manual or jump the Jedi to save his life! That bike wasn't for him and the Gemini wasn't for me.

Go and demo/rent a bike for the day and you'll get to feel them out and see pros/cons before buying a bike.

Ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    The Nomad is super fun in the park. Very poppy on trails like ALine but you gotta keep on your toes in the tech. The V10 is a totally different beast. It wants speed to really start doing it's thing which is smashing through technical terrain. Harder to get it pop on jumps, at least the way I have it set up. It's really more of a race bike but I love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm on both, a medium nomad and large v10. The bikes feel very different. The v10 is incredibly progressive and feels stupid plush, especially in the beginning of the travel. The nomad is regressive in the beginning of the travel which makes it feel stiffer in the beginning of the travel, especially when standing pedaling. The nomad definitely does fine in the majority of the bike park and would allow you to ride a greater variety of trails. The nomad, however, starts to feel under-gunned when you get on steep terrain as if the length of the bike is too short to give it enough stability (maybe if I was on a large nomad it would help in this area a bit). The v10 also has a longer chainstay than the nomad but I've never felt any difficulty cornering the bike despite the bad marketing rep long chainstay bikes get. I doubt you'll find a modern DH bike with a similar leverage ratio to the nomad. You could get a DH fork and throw it on the nomad to split the difference, I am thinking about doing this. I run a fox 36 on the nomad and it doesn't even feel close to the performance of the fox 40.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    if you are planning on riding different types of trails, i would agree on a true DH bike. If you are planning on staying on the buffed out trails (i.e. livewire) not sure a DH bike is better. I say not sure because I normally hit different types of trails so I have always brought the dh bike. the other consideration is how is a bike the Nomad built, it can be on the lighter side or the beefier side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll try riding my Nomad and see how it goes. It's set up pretty beefy with a 170mm lyric and an Avalanche tuned monarch plus RC3. That should be a good start.
    Last edited by Samo831; 04-07-2017 at 09:56 PM.

May The Force Be With You
    The One

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    There are dedicated park bikes out there like the Scott Voltage, the aforementioned Banshee Darkside, and the new Commencal Supreme Park.

mtbr member
    I have both. My N3 is set up pretty beefy with a coil rear shock, fox 36 170mm w/4spacers, 36/42mm wide carbon rims w/2.6 tires, & 200mm 9.8 dropper post. Its a beast and is more than enough in 99% of all terrain and bike parks and imo climbs like a goat... but ... but... Whistler bike park is another animal. Sure the Nomad would do fine but between the braking bumps and steep gnarly decents & features there's nothing that beats the v10.

I wouldn't want to take my Nomad down say Goats Gully in Whistler, but I love taking the v10 down her. As stated above once the v10 gets up to speed and pointed down steeps she gets lively and bouncy and confidence spikes. However on flatter parks say Snow Summit in Socal the v10 yawns and needs to be pedaled constantly to get up to speed.

I think the small travel xc/enduro bikes ship has sailed in favor of these longer travel (with the right geo's) do-it-all bikes. And with all the great components these days one can build up practically any recent frame into an xc, all mtn, enduro, or downhill'ish type of bike they want.

Sorry for the shameful plug to my videos... just throwing out some examples, haha...

--------------------

https://youtu.be/uTRbVfJW0Ag

--------------------

https://youtu.be/ooMe2v8pvYs