DH bike- Mtbr.com

Thread: DH bike

go big or go home

DH bike

Hey I'm looking into building up a downhill bike for the next season, buying parts over the winter w/ my new job. I weigh 125 and I'll probly be doing about 20 ft drops next season. Anyone reccomend any quality components or frames? I would prefer the cheaper models but I also want a nice bike that will last. so far I've been looking at the santa cruz bullit, kona stinky(& stab), etc. any suggestions?

I'm thinking of running a boxxer...any advice or suggestions on that also?

Get off yer arse and on yere bike!

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    Hey I'm looking into building up a downhill bike for the next season, buying parts over the winter w/ my new job. I weigh 125 and I'll probly be doing about 20 ft drops next season. Anyone reccomend any quality components or frames? I would prefer the cheaper models but I also want a nice bike that will last. so far I've been looking at the santa cruz bullit, kona stinky(& stab), etc. any suggestions?

I'm thinking of running a boxxer...any advice or suggestions on that also?
    The Santa Cruz Bullit & Kona Stinky are excellent FR bikes for doing 20' drops, but they kinda lag for DH. If you want an excellent bike to do both, look at the Santa Cruz V10, Specialized Demo 9.<p>As for componenets, Race Face and Truvativ for cranks & stems & bb's & such; Sun Ringle and Mavic for hubs & rims; Kenda and Maxxis for tires, and Hayes or Avid for disk brakes.

And whatever you do, <b>don't put a Boxxer on that thing!!!</b> Stick with Marzocchi, as most people will tell you their forks hold up under abuse. The 888r is pricey, but it's way worth the money

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Dude, the guy weights 125 lbs. Can you imagine him trying to peddle up the momentum on a V10?

Not to say that you can't my friend, but for someone who weights 125 lbs, i think that Bullit could actually be used as a normal DH rig. The new ones can handle 8" forks, and with burly enough component, and considering the guys size, the Bullit would be a sweet DH rig. He could still peddle, and drop is like its hot.

PS. Again, being 125lbs, I don't think a Boxxer would be a problem. People here on mtbr are very anti-Boxxer because some people have had their seals leak. personally, I've ridden my 99 Boxxer for 4+ years with only a few oil changes and I have yet to spot a leak or blow a seal.

Bulilt + 8" Boxxer = Sweet DH rig for this guy IMHO.

l337 |31k3r
    Quote Originally Posted by snohobo
    Bulilt + 8" Boxxer = Sweet DH rig for this guy IMHO.
    Word...but

I think a boxxer Ride would be a sweet fork fer ya. Then again, one cannot argue the reliability of a super T snohobo.
    People call me a dick, but I just think im clever.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedro
    what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you post a specific budget well be able to help you more. You said you were trying to save money, and people are suggesting Santa Cruz with 888r's and demo 9's. These are top of the line bike that will last a while, but cost upwards of $4000. In my opinion, look at Norco first. They have several capable FR/DH bikes for a lot less than specialized and santa cruz. Also look at the new Iron Horses, and definetly try out kona, they are the bottom line in FR/DH,

eci
    Frame: Look in mtbr classifieds, look for something with 8inches of travel. Stay away from the bullit imho. i know ppl your weight on it and a 10 foot drop is about it. The foes fly would be a great ride but is def pricy. Id def suggest you look for a leftover Demo 9 or a used one for sale, great bike for the price. also the older big hits are great bikes

Fork: For your weight you can get anything out there, a boxxer will be fine. id go with a used dorado if i was you bc you can get them for 600.

You should come down to denver and ride wit us some time, i got some stunts up on my land and we are doing a shuttle tom mornin

Disclaimer: i hate boxxers and love my avy but this kid is lighter then my left leg

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    a bullet for a small guy like yourself...

would be a great if not one of the best choices you could have for a DH bike...there light...burly...and can be built up really dam well...i saw a smaller guy just week at a DH race absaloutly tear it up on a bullet...i was ammazed at how well he did and how easy he made it look...i would defintly reccomend a bullet...especially with a boxxer...for a light guy such as yourself...that would make great set up...a dorado like snowskilz said would also be good but i think the boxxer would still suit you better...an 04' world cup...or the newer 05' world cup or team would be great...

with a light DH build...and light wheels...you could make an awesome light weight DH bike...

i wanna see what you come up with...because it a good idea...and dont listen to ppl about boxxers...for DH and especially a small person such as yourself there probably the best fork you can buy...

good luck...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

Glad to Be Alive
    Boxxers leak

the seals always go out

Trials Superstar
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    a bullet for a small guy like yourself...

would be a great if not one of the best choices you could have for a DH bike...there light...burly...and can be built up really dam well...i saw a smaller guy just week at a DH race absaloutly tear it up on a bullet...i was ammazed at how well he did and how easy he made it look...i would defintly reccomend a bullet...especially with a boxxer...for a light guy such as yourself...that would make great set up...a dorado like snowskilz said would also be good but i think the boxxer would still suit you better...an 04' world cup...or the newer 05' world cup or team would be great...

with a light DH build...and light wheels...you could make an awesome light weight DH bike...

i wanna see what you come up with...because it a good idea...and dont listen to ppl about boxxers...for DH and especially a small person such as yourself there probably the best fork you can buy...

good luck...
    The boxxer would be trick. Home much are they selling those things for these days? Ive been looking into a good Dowhill fork ...
    Please purchase products from JensonUSA your #1 Internet Dealer for MTB parts!

AS SEEN ON THE X-GAMES and GRAVITY GAMES! How would you like to go 80 MPH on a bike 4 inches from the ground? Well you can learn how at GravityBike.com the home for BMX Speed Machines!

2004-2005 Sponsors
    Maxxis Tires
    Targert Sponsor
    Azonic
    Hayes

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by RigidOne
    The boxxer would be trick. Home much are they selling those things for these days? Ive been looking into a good Dowhill fork ...

Boxxers are Great race fork, but you have to service them all the time...Might want to look into a 7 inch 888

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Boxxers are Great race fork, but you have to service them all the time...Might want to look into a 7 inch 888
    BS. They don't have to be serviced ALL THE TIME. All the time means that you can't ride the thing, because it's ALWAYS BEING SERVICED. That's just a bunch of BS.
    A nice rebuild once a year will keep your Boxxer happy.

I would shy away from the Ride and Race Boxxer models, definitely go for a Team, or World Cup if you can afford it although I think it's a little overpriced IMO. The 03' Team (7') can be had from Cambria for $600 and the 05' Team (8") is running somewhere around $999. Stay away from the 03 Wold Cup, which came with Titanium Nitrate coated uppers, which, after use, would flake off and now everyone is right, ruin the seals. Bad R&D on their part.

WHile I am Boxxer man, I'm not going to discredit the Marzocchis. You can also get an 03' Super T for $549 and an 04' for $719, both of which offer 7" of travel.

As for the frame, I'd say go for a new Bullit. Frankly, with your size in mind, I would shy away from the big hit monsters.

Uhhhhh...
    Yea, just because hes light the Boxxers damping is going to not have a compression spike, right? Oh and i would never own a Bullit after the one i rode. High BB and super short WB make for a twitchy DH bike. Look into an Orange or a Gemini DH if you can swing it.

BJ-, do they not teach you how to write in complete sentences Down Under? I mean jesus, every post you type is like a half-retartded chimp typed it and is extremely hard to read. Remember, complete sentences are your friend for coherent and well written posts that people will pay attention too. Maybe you and Bush are friends and you guys have conversations with half-ass, non-complete sentences.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Agreed about the high BB making it twitchy. It's something that I'll be learning to life with.

Damn you oh mighty high BB!!!

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by thesherpa
    BJ-, do they not teach you how to write in complete sentences Down Under? I mean jesus, every post you type is like a half-retartded chimp typed it and is extremely hard to read. Remember, complete sentences are your friend for coherent and well written posts that people will pay attention too. Maybe you and Bush are friends and you guys have conversations with half-ass, non-complete sentences.
    Yeah, but its the internet dude. Why would people care? It takes less time to type, in incomplete half-asses sentences. Its not as if a post needs to be a well written essay. Why cant i write half assed posts, with bad english. What have i got to prove by writing properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

Uhhhhh...
    Yeah, but its the internet dude. Why would people care? It takes less time to type, in incomplete half-asses sentences. Its not as if a post needs to be a well written essay. Why cant i write half assed posts, with bad english. What have i got to prove by writing properly.
    It makes it easier to comprehend and understand what your trying to say. It also makes your posts easier to follow.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Cynical Bystander
    It gives people reassurance about your intelligence if you can easily read their posts without having to read chopped up words and such.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    It makes people actually read your posts instead of just skipping over them and assuming that an 8 year old wrote them.