DH on 24s??- Mtbr.com

Thread: DH on 24s??

mtbr member

DH on 24s??

hi all, first of all i live in wisconsin and im looking at getting a new (to me) 24 for park and dj, i can get a pretty killer deal on it but the thing is my family takes a vacation every year out west to hang out in the mountains, we ride some lift accessed tame dh (the blues, like mosquitos coast and eye of the tiger at keystone) also there is a race weekend or 2 i would ride in the midwest

my question is would the 24s totally suck as a dh/fr hardtail, seeing its a good deal and im only going to use it a week a year on dh is it worth it?

im trying to get into dh more and it would be a cheap bombproof bike but if the 24s suck ill pass on it

mtbr member
    May 2007
    24 defintly no good for Dh purpose, if you are looking more for a DJ/SS bike, it can be a good choice if you have a great deal BUT if you want to get into DH nope, do not buy this bike, with 24" you,ll get stuck everywhere in the trails, its gonna be very hard... + what kind of bike is it ? a hardtail ?

mtbr member
    oh sorry i forgot to say, yea its a hardtail with about 100mm suspension fork, its ss but i would more then likely make it a 1x9 and add some disks instead of just running the single v brake in the back thats on it now, im looking at getting a dh/fr hardtail but im on the college kid budget and this was in my price range

i want to get into dh more (along with some park) but maybe this bike would hold me back on the limited dh i do?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    limited DH like hitting the Moutain once in a while, like every 3 weeks .. yup, but if you consider goign to a DH mountain each week with that bike you gonna be piss after 2 days over there let me tell you.... if its more for bike park and street and slightly DHing once a month then it can be a good investment, if you want to go to the resort each weeks, you should look somewhere else..

mtbr member
    well we dont really have resorts in wisco, we have lift access this weekend and then one race weekend a summer, and then ill take it to colorado for our familys summer vacation to hit up keystone and vail for a week, i think ill try and get this and it will last longer then my xc bike on dh and when i get some money saved up ill buy a real rig

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    24s work fine for DH, especially if you are a smaller rider. My girlfriend has been rocking dual 24s at Whistler the past few seasons, and she can smoke most of the guys. Two friends' wives also roll dual 24s because it gives smaller riders more standover. Several buddies and I ran rear 24s several seasons ago and it worked fine. Tire selection is a bit limited, but the Kenda Nevegal, Arrow Prime Bite and Arrow Wide Bite are all awesome 24 tires.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    24s work fine for DH, especially if you are a smaller rider.
    My 11 y/o kid rides on 24's and works great for him. For tires he's on High Rollers and haven't had any issues with them.

Bike Hustler
    Plus:
    The rear accelerates faster under power, they are marginaly lighter, it can help lower the bb height or turn your pedals into lawn darts if your bb is allready low enough. Great for kids or short people to overcome standover issues

Negative:
    They don't roll as fast and you get caught in dips, roots, holes, and most trail trail irregularities in general. Tires choices are limited and shops dont usually stock them.

I rolled for a year on a 24 in the back to help slack out and lower the standover on an older Nocro and liked the way it allowed for better control on the North Shore stuff, like tight techy turns on steep ladder roll in's. Way easier to manual too.
    Not so rad for straight DH.
    SHAM-WOW

mtbr member
    im not so little im 5'7'' maybe 5'8'' i think finding tires would be the hardest thing (atleast around here) and all the dh ive ridden is pretty tame, i guess ill just do some thinking cuz its a very good deal

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    just make sure its the frame will clear big 24" inch tires.
    since your getting a dually later on.
    a HT is always going to be a compromise for DH (head angle, wheelbase, and lack of suspension).
    It will DH worse than a similar 26" HT though.

Pivotal figure
    I rode my DJ rig with 24's and single speed for quite a while, even took it down some of the gnar at Bootleg canyon. The ride won't be as forgiving as a bigger wheel but if the trails aren't super rocky or full of holes/pockets then it'll do OK. The cornering is a blast with smaller wheels and as mentioned, manuals are a snap. You can always get tires through mail order if need be, I ran Arrow and Maxxis tires but Kenda also has a few now. Oh yeah, I'm 6 ft tall...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    i dont know what fork is on the bike your thinking about buying but maybe you could pick up a cheap 26" front wheel and then you can just swap it out to ride a bit of dh.

Members who have read this thread: 0