Deviant 2- Mtbr.com

Thread: Deviant 2

mtbr member

Deviant 2

I am interested in the Specialized Deviant 2. I already have a robust full face helmet for when I go to the downhill park and want to find a very light weight, highly ventilated, very cool full face that I can ride all mountain. The Deviant 2 seems to fit that bill nicely and I took the recommendation from someone who is riding with an older Deviant just for that purpose.
    I went to the local specialized dealer to do some research as I am not interested in buying now. I was told by the people at the shop that they sent back all their deviant 2s because nobody in shop liked them. There was no padding and it was uncomfortable to wear. Sure enough, I take a look at one of the two they still had and they were right, no padding what so ever in comparison to my other full face. They didnít have anything else that fit the bill and said that they would be in touch with specialized and give me a call if something came out.
    After the store rep left, I took the extra-large they did have and threw it on real quick (it was on sale and not returned; I think it was scratched). It pretty much felt like I was wearing a football helmet with no padding. Now it was an extra-large and I think I would wear a large (I have a 7.5 size hat) so it was probably big on me and flopping around. When I looked inside it looked more like a xc helmet would look like with the Styrofoam and the thin removal pads.
    So now I am a bit confused. I am wondering if I try on a large that fits more snug if it will feel like a standard xc lid that is more enclosed.
    Has anybody else besides the one reviewer in the review section thrown it on? (one review isn't enough) How does it feel to wear? Due to the luck of genetics Iím sporting the clean shaven look so I have no hair for padding and maybe that is it haha.
    Thanks for any opinions out there on the deviant or any other light weight, ventalated helmets.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I cant help but I am also interested. I was thinking about getting the same helmet because it has alot of vents, or was also looking at the POC helmets

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywings
    Has anybody else besides the one reviewer in the review section thrown it on? (one review isn't enough) How does it feel to wear? Due to the luck of genetics Iím sporting the clean shaven look so I have no hair for padding and maybe that is it haha.
    Thanks for any opinions out there on the deviant or any other light weight, ventalated helmets.
    Well, since you own a proper full face have held and tried the Deviant II on yourself, not sure how my opinion could sway you one way or the other, but, I do own one so here goes. It's my first full face and the only one I've ever used so I can't give any comparison there. I do own an XC lid and the Deviant II feels much more secure/confidence inspiring and has much more padding. As far as comfort goes, I find it very comfortable.
    Again, with nothing to compare it to, hard for me to fault it at this point.

mtbr member
    I dont get it, my deviant2 has loads of padding:

http://all-mountain-next.blogspot.co...-2-carbon.html

mtbr member
    Same here - plenty of padding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by V.P.
    I dont get it, my deviant2 has loads of padding:

http://all-mountain-next.blogspot.co...-2-carbon.html

I read that post which is also one of the reasons I wanted one. The guys at the bike store were also scratching their heads but they assured me all the helmets that came in there shipment were like that.
    I think I'm going to go to another dealer...something just didn't seem right which is why I asked in here.

Thanks for the posts

mtbr member

thanks

thanks fort he replies. I tried it on again (different store). Same feel. though
    I like it but it just doesn't feel good on the noggin. Two nasty pressure points right where I hide my devil horns haha.
    Oh well, anybody try on a Bell Sanction? Looks like it just came out, no reviews but it looks like it could be a good comparison to the Deviant II.
    I'm going to x-post to all mountain.

mtbr member
    See if you can throw on a 661 Comp II. Lots of ventilation, light and most of all, cheap! They have a kind of "floating" liner which should make it fit most head shapes. Only down side, the liner doesn't look like it's removable for washing.

*I don't actually own one, I just got a chance to try on one that belonged to a friend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    not sure what helmet you put on, but the deviant 2 only comes in 2 sizes S/M and L/XL

Mine is not overly padded, but is still comfy enough that it dissapears while riding even though its a tad too small for my large melon. (I can feel it in the horns too but not while riding)

sanction doesnt look nearly as well ventilated as the deviant 2. probably going to roast you on AM rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have one and love it!
    I was looking for a light and airy helmet and this fits the bill perfectly. I use it for rides that require some pedaling, and I actually removed the cheekpads for more ventilation on the climbs. It's a little loose, like my hockey helmet, and still offers great protection (it's been tested )

For all day park rides I use a 661 full face because there's very little pedaling.

mtbr member
    I do find that the cheek pads are a little large and that my jaw got uncomfortable/sore after a while so I took them out, but then the fit was off. Has anyone tried any sort of replacement pads?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madridg
    I have one and love it!
    I was looking for a light and airy helmet and this fits the bill perfectly. I use it for rides that require some pedaling, and I actually removed the cheekpads for more ventilation on the climbs. It's a little loose, like my hockey helmet, and still offers great protection (it's been tested )

For all day park rides I use a 661 full face because there's very little pedaling.

Just confirm, you have a sanction and like it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywings
    Just confirm, you have a sanction and like it?
    I have a Deviant 2

Members who have read this thread: 0