Derailleur Hanger issues- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Derailleur Hanger issues

I tried this over on the Kona forum with no luck.

Just yesterday I broke my 5th derailleaur hanger in 4 months on my '06 Coiler. I replaced the first two myself and had two different mechanics do the last two. Two times the hanger twisted and bent. Once it snapped off at the dropout where the skewer sits, and just today it snapped off where the derailleur bolts on. All the breaks happened on small drops or jumps, but nothing crazy. (approx 4-5 feet) What can be causing this? Do Konas replacement hangers just suck? Could the frame itself be bent and thus not allow the hanger to bolt on properly? I don't know what to do. I'm sick of replacing derailleurs, chains, and hangers every month.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    something is definitely not right. got pics of your setup?

Glad to Be Alive
    most likely your chain is too small and needs more links.....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    most likely your chain is too small and needs more links.....
    Possibly, but each time the hanger breaks I end up having to replace the chain because it gets twisted to hell. I just have a hard time believing that myself, and two different mechanics have made the same mistake that many times.

mtbr member
    Make sure that the chain is properly adjusted for chain growth, does the hangers usually fail when you land a jump or compress the suspension? If it does then it may be that your chain isnt long enough to compensate for chain growth. Also make sure that the bolts attaching the hanger are torqued properly, seeing as they are cast parts, they anit gonna take too kindly to being over torqued. This is all i can think of at the moment, post up some pics of your setup, may help pin point your problem

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Maybe you're just hard on the hangers?

Go buy a new one, take it to a machine shop, and have them make you one out of steel.

It'll probably be expensive-ish (compared to a cast aluminum one), but it'll be strong.

You'll also probably start having to replace that derailleur pretty often though... that's why those hangers are so weak to begin with.

If you think you can
    Weird! I was doing the same thing with my 06 Coiler! I think I went through 4 hangers and 3 deraileurs. Once I put the shadow xt on there, I didnt have any more problems. A bolt on saint would do you right too! What do you have on there now?

Commit or eat sh!t
    Chain growth, as the guys say above. Take the shock off, cycle through the travel, and see the effect on your derailleur. I bet near the max travel, your derailleur starts getting to its max limit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Do you know about the Hanger Banger? Sounds like it might help for your problem, after you've verified that the chain is long enough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I'll be sure to look into those suggestions

Evan

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    look into a wheels of boulder der hanger. they are a lot nicer than stock.
    http://wheelsmfg.com/content/section/4/27/

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    Chain growth, as the guys say above. Take the shock off, cycle through the travel, and see the effect on your derailleur. I bet near the max travel, your derailleur starts getting to its max limit.
    I forgot to mention that you should be in the biggest ring in the front, and biggest cog in the rear when you do this.

Jul 2009
    your lucky your hanger is replaceable

my dad broke the hanger off his soft ride

you cant put that back on

Members who have read this thread: 0