Deore XT vs X9?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Deore XT vs X9?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Deore XT vs X9?

I am looking at a used free ride bike with 2011 Deore XT groupo. I am more familiar with the SRAM groupo so don't know how to assess the quality/worth of the Shimano stuff.

Any comments?

...for I am a raindog too
    Xt groupo? So, it has an xt rear der. And shifter? And this is apparently your only concern regarding the used bike? Are you trolling?

Fwiw I have never used anything 'better' than xt. Set it up and forget it. I ride rocky trails- not gonna spend $$$$$ on the first thing that a rock hits when it is twisted from the ground from your tire.
    If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    No trolling here. Just not familiar with Shimano on mountain bikes (unlike my road bike which is Ultegra).

Here is the info:

FRONT BRAKE Shimano Deore XT rotor, 200mm rotor
    REAR BRAKE Shimano Deore XT rotor, 180mm rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS Shimano Deore XT
    F DERAILLEUR Shimano FD-M660 SLX, E-type for DMD, top swing, bottom pull
    R DERAILLEUR Shimano XTR Shadow, mid carbon cage
    SHIFTERS Shimano Deore XT, aluminum trigger
    CASSETTE Shimano Deore XT, 11-36t

...for I am a raindog too
    Ahhhh. That makes more sense. I wasn't trying to be a DBag, but (in my experience) I consider 'grouppos' to be a road bike thing. With Hope, Magura, and an array of other brakes, most people I know have their preferences on individual components-- not the whole line of a product for every component. I understand that drive train is a little more limited-- shimano and avid for shifting duties, but cranks sets are as varied as brakes.

But you actually do have a 'grouppo'.
    IMHO, your brakes with kick the ass off of anything that Avid has to offer. Your der's. are just as good as the comparable Sram offerings-- bling? no, but they will work if set up correctly. I would consider XT to be comparable to x9. Not top of the line, but no slouch, either.

If the rest of the bike is in good shape-- I'd say you have a winner based on the spec you listed.
    If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I am also not used to having all the same brand of equipment on a mountain bike which is why I used the term "groupo" since it was all Shimano.

I was especially not sure how the Shimano disc brakes compared with the Avid ones so I appreciate the info and will likely buy the bike.

Living the High Life
    I see XT more like X0 as SRAM now has XX components. And Shimano added the SLX line which seems to fall around the X7 or X9 pricepoint.

Members who have read this thread: 0