Demo 9 Pro with 40 and DHX upgrades??- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    46

    Demo 9 Pro with 40 and DHX upgrades??

    I have the opportunity to get a 2004 D9 Pro and swap out the 888RR (no comp adjust, but according to 'zoke-not needed for a 150 lb.er??) and Swinger 4 for a 40RC2 and DHX 5. Upgrade will cost $750. I know the cool factor is worth some of that $750, but is the performance worth the rest. I'm an weekend warrior that likes the resorts and maybe a race or two a year--just for fun. And yes, it will be much cheaper than the 2005 D8 Pro, so that is not an option (plus, it's probably not even available).

  2. #2
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,303
    Buy the 40 and DHX and sell them to me Or trade for my swinger 6-way and boxxer wc.
    JackNugz

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  3. #3
    BJ-
    BJ- is offline
    Rota Imports
    Reputation: BJ-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,669
    no peformance wise it wont make much of a differance, just because the FOX gear is newer doesnt suddenly mean its better...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

  4. #4
    I wanna talk to Samson!
    Reputation: konabiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,303
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    no peformance wise it wont make much of a differance, just because the FOX gear is newer doesnt suddenly mean its better...
    Arguable
    JackNugz

    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    Arguable
    Yah, umm, no to you BeeJ-.

    Thats my setup and it is (imo) much, much, better than other 9 Pro's setup to basicly my weight...

    Id do it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    I forgot to mention that its an 05 frame built up rather than an otherwise 04 stock...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

  7. #7
    BJ-
    BJ- is offline
    Rota Imports
    Reputation: BJ-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,669
    Quote Originally Posted by redbull
    Yah, umm, no to you BeeJ-.

    Thats my setup and it is (imo) much, much, better than other 9 Pro's setup to basicly my weight...

    Id do it...
    i suppose because your bike used to belong to kyle strait that suddenly makes it better also...

    seriously, your 750 dollars will be much better spent upgrading your rims and tyres to make them UST, because if you concerned about saving weight (like redbull), youll save alot more in upgrading your wheels and tyres, than your suspension, theres nothign wrong with a 4-Way Swinger or 888RR and anyone who tells you otherwise (in the context redbull did) is more concerned about the aesthetic qualites of a bike and its colour scheme than the way the bike peforms...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

  8. #8
    Schmeow Productions
    Reputation: JBsoxB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,396
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    i suppose because your bike used to belong to kyle strait that suddenly makes it better also...

    seriously, your 750 dollars will be much better spent upgrading your rims and tyres to make them UST, because if you concerned about saving weight (like redbull), youll save alot more in upgrading your wheels and tyres, than your suspension, theres nothign wrong with a 4-Way Swinger or 888RR and anyone who tells you otherwise (in the context redbull did) is more concerned about the aesthetic qualites of a bike and its colour scheme than the way the bike peforms...
    w3rd.


    BJ- you better be able to back this one.

  9. #9
    650 yay area
    Reputation: The Kadvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    i suppose because your bike used to belong to kyle strait that suddenly makes it better also...

    seriously, your 750 dollars will be much better spent upgrading your rims and tyres to make them UST, because if you concerned about saving weight (like redbull), youll save alot more in upgrading your wheels and tyres, than your suspension, theres nothign wrong with a 4-Way Swinger or 888RR and anyone who tells you otherwise (in the context redbull did) is more concerned about the aesthetic qualites of a bike and its colour scheme than the way the bike peforms...
    BJ your aussie ass is on the money about upgrading wheels and tires... but there is a huge difference between a DHX and a swinger 4-way.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    I forgot to mention that its an 05 frame built up rather than an otherwise 04 stock...
    Aren't 04 and 05 D( frame identical? After, the Fox upgrades, I can't think of a whole lot of upgrades I'll do, or would need to do to make it one of the nicest bikes around. I do have some as new parts from last summer's bike I could swap out if I think it will help, but with deal I'm getting, I think it will be just fine.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: biker3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    689
    The DHX outperforms the swinger and that is fact. Not because I have one but because of what the pros are riding. When cedric was on a swinger last year it was utterly gutted on the internals to take away the complete crap swinger feel. All the progressive riders for 5th have gutted 5ths because the stock ones flat out feel like ass. Ask any rider who rides fast and actually requires damping. Hucking is different, a drop off tripple will take a 23.6 foot huck to tranny fine, but the studder bumps will murder it. Fox is all made in the USA, they know what QUALITY control is unlike manipoo. Go for the Fox setup you will dig it.

    J6015 or whatever is gunna come whining in like the douche that he is.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: biker3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    i smell J-belt comin
    Zach you know my body too well.

  13. #13
    650 yay area
    Reputation: The Kadvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,113
    jbelt rules this thread... all e-posers should quit fronting

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RobsterCraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,417
    If you don't know how the Fox 40 feels be very sure before you jump on it. I realized that the Fox forks can be really good but they got to be dailed in perfect for you. I got to demo a 36 and it took forever before I even started to like the way it felt. I love my zocchi forks but if the 40 feels right then go with it. Most of the advantages of the 40 are really race oriented. 888 is a good design. But I do like my DHX. 5th is Ok, but I preffer my DHX. I don't know why. Tubless is a good setup but still pack an innertube I Had to hike a few more miles than I would have liked because I blew out worse than stans can handle on saturday.

  15. #15
    BJ-
    BJ- is offline
    Rota Imports
    Reputation: BJ-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,669
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    Tubless is a good setup but still pack an innertube I Had to hike a few more miles than I would have liked because I blew out worse than stans can handle on saturday.
    please explain...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

  16. #16
    Innovate or die!
    Reputation: j6105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    702
    "j6015 or whatever is gonna start whining.."

    Don't even get me started. 888's suck. Swingers are cool but I would get a DHX if it came cheap. My only point on the DHX is that it is not worth the 400 bucks to buy a brand new one to switch for the swinger.

    Those pictures last week pleased me immensely, i did not realize that biker3 was so small and skinny for the trash he speaks on mtbr.

    P.S.biker3, all the guys i know in san francisco that are ummmm sexually selective enjoyed that picture of your naked underage butt immensely!!








    hahaha joking man, that would be dirty.
    170mm profile crankset, silver king headset barely used, new blackspire chainguide, old version hope mini brakes---- all for sale at i-wanna-get-rid-of-it prices. I'm gone all of july after the 10th, other than that PM me if interested.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    i suppose because your bike used to belong to kyle strait that suddenly makes it better also...

    seriously, your 750 dollars will be much better spent upgrading your rims and tyres to make them UST, because if you concerned about saving weight (like redbull), youll save alot more in upgrading your wheels and tyres, than your suspension, theres nothign wrong with a 4-Way Swinger or 888RR and anyone who tells you otherwise (in the context redbull did) is more concerned about the aesthetic qualites of a bike and its colour scheme than the way the bike peforms...
    BJ-, you have been set on saying that your setup is better than all others. Have you ever even tried a DHX and a DH40? How about together? Tuned to your weight, riding style, and bike? I dont think so. I still remember you saying "my Swinger sh!t's all over a DHX." Yah, sure, if you hate small bump obsorbtion and high speed compression? As well as tunability...

    I also disagree about your second statement. A DHX w/ Ti spring weighs a # less than a Swinger with steel spring. The fork will also save you nearly a #, while greatly increasing your bikes performance. What would Tubless do? Maybe lose a # or two, the ability to run a lower pressure tire for more grip, and, only if done right, less time hiking due to a flat. Now if you were saying going for a lighter wheelset, it might be a different story. But, IMO, better suspension is a much more important upgrade than UST wheels ...


    -The only upgrade that i am aware of is a lightend link with cutouts on the bottom to save weight.


    BeeJ- And your coment on it "being better because its Kyles" is retarded. Did i state that it was? No, I didnt, i guess you are just jeaolus...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

  18. #18
    BJ-
    BJ- is offline
    Rota Imports
    Reputation: BJ-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,669
    Quote Originally Posted by redbull
    BJ-, you have been set on saying that your setup is better than all others. Have you ever even tried a DHX and a DH40? How about together? Tuned to your weight, riding style, and bike? I dont think so. I still remember you saying "my Swinger sh!t's all over a DHX." Yah, sure, if you hate small bump obsorbtion and high speed compression? As well as tunability...

    I also disagree about your second statement. A DHX w/ Ti spring weighs a # less than a Swinger with steel spring. The fork will also save you nearly a #, while greatly increasing your bikes performance. What would Tubless do? Maybe lose a # or two, the ability to run a lower pressure tire for more grip, and, only if done right, less time hiking due to a flat. Now if you were saying going for a lighter wheelset, it might be a different story. But, IMO, better suspension is a much more important upgrade than UST wheels ...


    -The only upgrade that i am aware of is a lightend link with cutouts on the bottom to save weight.


    BeeJ- And your coment on it "being better because its Kyles" is retarded. Did i state that it was? No, I didnt, i guess you are just jeaolus...
    you didnt really catch on to what i meant then did you...

    for a start i was hatin on all you punks that are going around saying a 888 and a Swinger are both trash, when in fact the truth is, a 888 is a dam good fork as a Swinger is a dam good rear shock, there may be better products out there, but just because there is, suddenly doesnt mean that the better product is flawless and the "lesser" product is dirt...

    its becase of you little punks, that kids and noobs getting into the sport have unbelieveably low expectation of products and think for some FCUKED up reson that they all need a DEMO9 for 3' ft curb drops, because people like you guys have an influence over them and they listen and hang off every word you say...

    a 888 is a good fork, a Swinger is a good shock, im not saying there the best because there not, but there high up enough the chain of things that, products that actually "are better" arnt "that much" better, so when this guy asked the question the responce should have been "NO, it will make some difference but not to such an extent that its essential you do it"...

    sorry if im crackin it but its about time somone said this, because im sick of seeing stupid posts and noobs going round thinking a Super-T cant handel a 10'ft drop when in fact the entire Kona Clump had been hittin up 30'fters long before the 888 or bloody DH40 came out...

    pull your head out, because your bike aint all that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    you didnt really catch on to what i meant then did you...

    for a start i was hatin on all you punks that are going around saying a 888 and a Swinger are both trash, when in fact the truth is, a 888 is a dam good fork as a Swinger is a dam good rear shock, there may be better products out there, but just because there is, suddenly doesnt mean that the better product is flawless and the "lesser" product is dirt...

    its becase of you little punks, that kids and noobs getting into the sport have unbelieveably low expectation of products and think for some FCUKED up reson that they all need a DEMO9 for 3' ft curb drops, because people like you guys have an influence over them and they listen and hang off every word you say...

    a 888 is a good fork, a Swinger is a good shock, im not saying there the best because there not, but there high up enough the chain of things that, products that actually "are better" arnt "that much" better, so when this guy asked the question the responce should have been "NO, it will make some difference but not to such an extent that its essential you do it"...

    sorry if im crackin it but its about time somone said this, because im sick of seeing stupid posts and noobs going round thinking a Super-T cant handel a 10'ft drop when in fact the entire Kona Clump had been hittin up 30'fters long before the 888 or bloody DH40 came out...

    pull your head out, because your bike aint all that...
    Wow, again, you just changed the whole idea of the thread. It was weather it was worth it to spend the $700 to get a DHX and DH40. Not if Swingers and 888's are trash. Take it easy...

    And why do you always have to tell me my bike isnt amazing. You just keep bringing that back up to when i didnt start bragging...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freerider167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    if you are getting the DH40rc2 and DHX5 for about 750 it's worth buying. cause even if you don't want it you can always sell it for more, unless the guy is taking the shock and fork in place of the fox stuff.

  21. #21
    BJ-
    BJ- is offline
    Rota Imports
    Reputation: BJ-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,669
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    if you are getting the DH40rc2 and DHX5 for about 750 it's worth buying. cause even if you don't want it you can always sell it for more, unless the guy is taking the shock and fork in place of the fox stuff.
    this is my point exactly, i bet youve never even ridden a dam DH40...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    this is my point exactly, i bet youve never even ridden a dam DH40...
    dood im soooo getin a 8 inch travis. i rided one and its da bestest fork ever. even gooder than the dh40
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.