Demo 9 Owners.. I need some assistance on this one..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Demo 9 Owners.. I need some assistance on this one..

Hey guys. Anyone out there with a 2004 Demo 9 DH or Demo 9 Pro that is running the Sun Ringle Abbah DH rear hub.

I own a 2004 D9 Pro, and the rear hub keeps coming loose & squeaking like a mofo. I've taken it in, to have it rebuilt twice, and the same thing keeps happening. If I put it into a mid-ring gear, and stomp on the pedals the rear hub sounds like a big old rusty door hinge.

I wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem? The hub body has loosened on me THREE times now, since June. It keeps screwing up my shifting, and making me angry. I talked to the shop, and they said there were going to try to get it Warrantied...

but anyway... has anyone else had these issues? Both mine and my bro's Demo 9's are doing this... and it's not only annoying, but frustrating.

Anyway, any thoughts?

-Matt
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Nobody knows?

Please help....

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac
    Nobody knows?

Please help....
    Dude, get a better hub. Rebuilding a shitty hub isn't the answer. Go Chris King or Hope.

mtbr member
    Hmmm... I would go Chris King if they fricken made a 150mm wide, 12mm through axle hub! Remember.. I'm on a Demo 9. It's not a standard QR rear end.... It's a monster rear end..

I was thinkin about a DT Hugi... but we'll see. My LBS is trying to warranty it, so we'll see.

-Matt

mtbr member
    No problems with mine so far. I bought the Dh frameset and it included the hub. I have had mixed results with SunRingle hubs in the past, but this one seems ok. If you are going to replace/upgrade, the Hugi or a Hadley would be the way to go (the availability seems better on the Hugi). Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy
    No problems with mine so far. I bought the Dh frameset and it included the hub. I have had mixed results with SunRingle hubs in the past, but this one seems ok. If you are going to replace/upgrade, the Hugi or a Hadley would be the way to go (the availability seems better on the Hugi). Good luck.

Yeah, the Hugi looked like the way to go.. so we'll see what the warranty outcome is.

Thanks for the info!

-Matt

Jan 2004
    well, if its the same person thats been rebuilding it, that could be the problem.

Perpetrator of Lawsuits
    I have a D9 pro and have had no problems with the hub. Thas said, I have heard that the Ringles on the early production D9's have had some problems. I also heard that Specialized was recalling / replacing them.

Of course, this may be total BS, I don't know for sure. Try giving Specialized a call--one would think they would know.

Good luck getting that solved.

mtbr member
    Zedro: The man rebuilding it, knows what he's doing. He's a machinest by trade, and has been working at bike shops all his life as a 2nd job / just for fun type thing. He's very well respected, and really DOES know his stuff. Any high-dollar rebuilds, everyone always wants him to do.. because he's so careful, and pays attention to details.

BigDigger: Thanks man. The LBS has called Specialized, and they said to send in the wheels. We'll see where it goes from here. I just hope it doesn't mean 2 months without a bike...

-Matt

Feb 2004

Had mine 9 months - no problem

The only issue i've had with the entire bike has been the rear brake unwinding some spokes (which was expected). The hub has stayed tight and service free for 9 months.

I'd ask for a replacement freebie. Sounds like either a bad example or bad servicing at your LBS

mtbr member
    Welp, I took it to a different LBS... they've got me hooked up. They have replacement bearings, and hub-guts on the way. All warranty items directly from Sun-Ringle.

-Matt

Aug 2004

they're crap

I'm on my third Sun Ringle hub this summer. The guys at Sun Ringle are pretty cool and have no problem taking care of their customers. Specialized was not as helpful. Get a Hadley if you've got the flow, but Woodman makes a affordable 150mm hub that I would keep around as a backup. If your freinds are like mine they don't have any extra 150mm wheels to borrow. So get a backup because all hubs blow up......sometime.

mtbr member
    Seems to be real hit-or-miss with these hubs. Mine hasn't given me a single problem, but a buddy's hub developed a crack in one of the pawls.

On a related note, anybody have a method for building 150x12/15mm wheels, as far as trueing/tensioning goes? Won't fit in any of the trueing stands I have.
    ...he said "young man pay heed, you listen well to what i say, now there comes a time for a man to walk away"