the demo 9 freeride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

the demo 9 freeride

i recently rode a demo 9 and did a sizeable drop on it and really liked how it felt, i cant really afford a demo 9 and i was wondering how similar a big hit is to the demo 9, if it would be a really good freeride beast as well?

I like air!
    The big hit is an excellent, affordable free-ride bike.
    Last edited by milhouse; 10-12-2006 at 04:00 PM.

mtbr member
    If you are referring to the current Bighits, they can handle about 99% of what a Demo 9 can do similarly equiped. The older Bighits are more pure FR bikes that can be raced and it seems the current Bighits are very popular with privateer DH racers.

Either way I've almost never heard of either bike new or old break.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

Old No. 7
    I first owned a Bighit (pre new design), great bike to start on and even progress further than I did on it, looking back I could have kept that bike a lot longer but sold it blaming my own lack of certan skills on the bike. Picked up the Demo 9 after an injury, took a while to settle back into riding again, but right off the bat, noticed the bike being more stable at the max speeds I was going on the bighit, even after a 4-5 month break from riding. More stable means more comfert, and I think people tend to ride right at the top of their comfert lever, slightly pushing themselfs above what they are comfertable with, which traslates into riding faster on a stable bike. The demo also seems a lot more DH worthy than the BH, not to say the BH isn't DH worthy. As for freeride, I dropped my demo yesterday higher than I ever did the bighit and it took the hit MUCH better, I think being more experianced was the main factor, but I have to give the frame a lot of credit too, that's exactly what it's built for.
    So pretty much both bikes are awesome, BH are a great bike to have, not too expencive, and fun to ride. But owning a BIghit will make you want to own the Demo even more.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The demo 9's are on clearence now - just got one myself it is the pink however(they say red). I have not got it one big drop single track but it take the 6+ foot retaining wall drops well. You should talk to your locall shop to see the deal you can get maybe about 3g's.
    mean while a new bh could cost 2g then all the upgrades you wil need.
    So look now cause this is the best deal youcould get.

Road/XC/Freeride
    I like the big hit more actually.

I've ridden my buddy's (new design) big hit a fair bit and I got the chance to do a little riding on a fully pimped demo 9 this summer. Sus was sort of nice but it's so fat and 'un-nimble' as opposed to the big hit.
    I'm on the Twitter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    thanks guys, and i was also wondering if i was to get the big hit fsr II how much the forks suck? cause i could swap them for 888's if needed. thanks

Road/XC/Freeride
    Quote Originally Posted by gline
    thanks guys, and i was also wondering if i was to get the big hit fsr II how much the forks suck? cause i could swap them for 888's if needed. thanks
    If you're getting a big hit PLEASE get the III.

The Drop-Offs are really lame as is the box-guide chain device that the II & I come with!

Seriously they're the only faults with the bike and the III doesn't have them.
    I'm on the Twitter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace1
    I like the big hit more actually.

I've ridden my buddy's (new design) big hit a fair bit and I got the chance to do a little riding on a fully pimped demo 9 this summer. Sus was sort of nice but it's so fat and 'un-nimble' as opposed to the big hit.
    Ive had several big hits and now own a demo 9.....bighits are great bikes but the demo 9 is an unreal freeride bike.......it seems to be most people that comment on the demo 9s not being good freeride bike are always people that dont own one

Road/XC/Freeride
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffy
    it seems to be most people that comment on the demo 9s not being good freeride bike are always people that dont own one
    lol that's because most people who try them and don't like them don't buy them

I think you can take a concept too far. IMO the Demo 8 is far better than the 9 (and who knows about the 7 but people are saying good things).

As has been said the Big hit is capable of 99% of what the 9 is but I'd also argue that it's better at a fair chunk of that 99% where the 9's bulk is excessive.
    I'm on the Twitter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace1
    lol that's because most people who try them and don't like them don't buy them

I think you can take a concept too far. IMO the Demo 8 is far better than the 9 (and who knows about the 7 but people are saying good things).

As has been said the Big hit is capable of 99% of what the 9 is but I'd also argue that it's better at a fair chunk of that 99% where the 9's bulk is excessive.
    oh thats rich .....If your a jumper or a hucker at all the big hit and demo 9 arent even in the same class.....demo 9 out performs!!!!!!!
    My good buddy has an 2007 demo 7 and he said it the best of all worlds dem8,9 and sx trail!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by sheffy; 10-13-2006 at 11:33 PM.

Road/XC/Freeride
    Have you ridden a new big hit at all?

So what's that 9" of rear trave doing for you when jumping? It just weighs you down and gives you less pop. The 9 is a huck / "look at my bike it's bigger than yours" bike IMHO.

Even 'the Claw' doesn't use a 9 and I doubt you go bigger than him!

Trust me, just because there's a price gap doesn't mean they're not in the same league.

Does specialized even make the Demo 9 anymore? I think they've realised that for most people it's too much. I'm not saying it's the wrong bike for you but I would rather go with a Big hit / Demo 8.
    I'm on the Twitter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i love my bighit, but sometimes at night when i think about the demo9 i rode a few times, i cream my pants. but i love my bighit.

Have helmet cam will ride
    Dec 2008
    very informative

Urban Ninja
    Buy a Big Hit II, slap on a 888, a van rc, sell the drop off and van r and this is what I got for a total (after selling replaced items) of about $1,200:
    Attached Images Attached Images

For The Win
    you guys did notice this is a two year old thread right?
    Slow is cool too, right?

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by StinkyFTW
    you guys did notice this is a two year old thread right?
    Oh, WTF!

Have helmet cam will ride
    Dec 2008
    Yes.

Members who have read this thread: 0