Demo 8 spring rates, lets Hear em!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Demo 8 spring rates, lets Hear em!

Got an 05 Demo 8 that came with a swinger 4-way. It came with a card to upgrade to a ti spring. It currently has a 450# spring which seems fine but the manual suggest a 500# for my weight (195#).

Wanted to know what spring rate people are runnin for their body weight before I go and waste this free upgrade.

Also thinking of getting a DHX cause I've heard alot of bad stuff about the swingers. So all DHX owners, your info would be appreciated as well.

I got a steal of a deal on the bike cause some fool couldn't finish his layaway payments, I also contacted Manitou said they'd honor the deal.
    Last edited by live4dirt; 10-30-2006 at 07:21 PM.

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by live4dirt
    Got an 05 Demo 8 that came with a swinger 4-way. It came with a card to upgrade to a ti spring. It currently has a 450# spring which seems fine but the manual suggest a 500# for my weight (195#).

Wanted to know what spring rate people are runnin for their body weight before I go and waste this free upgrade.

Also thinking of getting a DHX cause I've heard alot of bad stuff about the swingers. So all DHX owners, your info would be appreciated as well.

Did you just buy that bike new from the local bike shop. I think that card might be a bit outdated. don't you? I honestly don't think manitou will do the free upgrade with that bike/shock anymore, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

This link should help you out with the spring rate.

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    I have a Cane Creek Double Barrel on my 06 demo 8and the spec setup for the Demo 8 to go with the Double Barrel is 400lbs, and I weigh the same as you do, 195lbs. But the Doulbe Barrel typically calls for a lighter spring than other shocks. 500lb spring is going to be a little harsh for you unless you do NOTHING but HUCK.
    I am not a "Role Model"

Can't get right...
    Quote Originally Posted by live4dirt

I got a steal of a deal on the bike cause some fool couldn't finish his layaway payments, I also contacted Manitou said they'd honor the deal.

Stock on my 06 Demo w/ DHX was 450lb.I weigh about 220-225 w/ gear. I called fox and they
    said a 500 would be fine. The 450 was kinda soft imo so I got the 600 instead and it worked out great.The DHX is a great shock i highly reccomend it. too bad i just sold my Demo yesterday. I almost cried..... Florida here i come......Marrige and a move to flatlands...

CLICK ON AVATAR TO SEE MY BABY THATS GONE...
    I watch the O.C. cause it makes me happy...

If misery was money i'd be the richest man on the planet.

Third Degree Hater-Fu
    Sorry...the point of me giving you those numbers was to say you should run the 450lb spring on your Demo, not the 500. I had the DHX on my Demo 8 before going to the Double barrel and the 450lb spring on it was perfect.
    I am not a "Role Model"

mtbr member
    I ran a 550 Ti spring on my 05 Demo 8. I weigh about 210 or so and like to send it. That worked pretty decent for me.

mtbr member
    I run a 450(swinger 6 way) on my demo 9 and i way around 189......feels about right...very few bottom outs!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I just switched from a 450lb to a 400lb on a DHX 5.0 and it is way better for me, but I'm about 160 before pads, but I dont drop anything over 10ft and . All the guys at the shop that I bought if from are closer to 190 and they run the 450lb spring.

Have Fun
    T

mtbr member
    i way about 145 and my medium demo 8 came with a 450lb spring. Running on the minimum air pressure, it still feels just a tad stiff and i have been looking around for a 400lb spring. still the 450 still feels pretty good but i would be interested to feel the 400# spring
    Sully

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBSully
    i way about 145 and my medium demo 8 came with a 450lb spring. Running on the minimum air pressure, it still feels just a tad stiff and i have been looking around for a 400lb spring. still the 450 still feels pretty good but i would be interested to feel the 400# spring
    If you only weigh 145 i would change to a 400 if not a 350.......it will make your bike that much plusher............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffy
    If you only weigh 145 i would change to a 400 if not a 350.......it will make your bike that much plusher............
    yeah i thought so. Anybody got one for sale or trade?
    Sully

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    live4dirt; stick with the 450. I speak from experience through trial and error and I weigh exactly the same as you. I've had success with the 4-way. It's a little tempermental at times, but it's taken a massive beating and held up well.

sully; I've got a 400lb spring in my basement. it's yours for a song. shoot me a PM.

anyone else, I've got a 500# spring as well. it's got three rides on it. if interested send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I weigh 155-160lbs, and rode the 550lb ti spring on my Demo8's with the most success. (All on Swinger 4-Ways)

I've ridden the 450, which required turnign up the bottom-out resistence way too much, and I currently have a 500, which is still too soft.

IMO, you should get the stiffest spring possible for you to comfortably ride. With less preload, bottom out resistance, and pedaling platform PSI your shock will feel much better, smoother, and be quieter.

All in all, the Swinger works, but it's not very adjustable. I'd rather ditch the bottom out/pedal platform for a easily adjustable hi/lo speed compression adjusters. Maybe a Cane Creek DB will be in order...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenweed
    I weigh 155-160lbs, and rode the 550lb ti spring on my Demo8's with the most success. (All on Swinger 4-Ways)

I've ridden the 450, which required turnign up the bottom-out resistence way too much, and I currently have a 500, which is still too soft.

IMO, you should get the stiffest spring possible for you to comfortably ride. With less preload, bottom out resistance, and pedaling platform PSI your shock will feel much better, smoother, and be quieter.

All in all, the Swinger works, but it's not very adjustable. I'd rather ditch the bottom out/pedal platform for a easily adjustable hi/lo speed compression adjusters. Maybe a Cane Creek DB will be in order...
    550 spring thats seems way to high........how much air pressure are your running??? I know alot of guys that have swingers that go bigggggggg and dont run 550s unless your jumping to flat...lol

slaving away in paradise
    Apr 2005
    I'm 185 + gear, running 550# and loving it. I have the propedal all the way off (2-3 clicks), 100 psi in the chamber, feels uber plush and no bottoming out. Our trails are harsh, I was using 450 before and even with 150psi it was bottoming out all over the place. I thought 550 would be too much but I got a deal (and they didn't have 500lbs). Once I dropped the preasure it was sweet.

Members who have read this thread: 0