Demo 8 Shock play- Mtbr.com
    Racer

Demo 8 Shock play

I have a demo 8 and i have the notorious play in the shock when you lift up the seat. I just ordered a dhx 5.0 directoly from fox and was wondering if that came with new mounting hardware for my bike. (new hardware will probably fix the play) Thanks if you can help me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalMTB
    I have a demo 8 and i have the notorious play in the shock when you lift up the seat. I just ordered a dhx 5.0 directoly from fox and was wondering if that came with new mounting hardware for my bike. (new hardware will probably fix the play) Thanks if you can help me
    I have a little play in my demo 8 when i put the ti coil on. The dhx 5 isn't the right size for the demo. you will not get 8 inches of travel if you put it on your demo/

mtbr member
    I had a demo 9, and I would get that play too. What i found to fix it is to install the shock but leave the mounting bolts loose. Then, weight the bike with your stomache on the seat to compress the shock some. Then tighten the shock. That would get rid of the play for me. Give it a try.

Tmoney

Racer
    bigbadhucker, i ordered the correct size of the shock so you are wrong. Maybe you are thinking of the dhx air?

Racer
    tmoney, i sat on the bike and i way 220 and its still loose, i'm afraid if i tighten it any harder i'll risk cracking the frame.

mtbr member
    You may have worn out Du bushing on the front shock mount, but if you compress the suspension while tightening the mounting bolts it may help. It worked for me.

-tmoney

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    how do you guys even adjust your shock on the demos?

Racer
    its all in the hands, lol

no really, but with my 4-way i can adjust the bottom out with the spv tool that came with my demo, i can tune air pressure when its in the slack headangle and rebound with carefull work of both hands. The only thing I can't do is when the shock is in the steep head andle i can't adjust air pressure without undoin the s-link. Idk how it will be with a dhx. anyone know?

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by metalMTB
    its all in the hands, lol

no really, but with my 4-way i can adjust the bottom out with the spv tool that came with my demo, i can tune air pressure when its in the slack headangle and rebound with carefull work of both hands. The only thing I can't do is when the shock is in the steep head andle i can't adjust air pressure without undoin the s-link. Idk how it will be with a dhx. anyone know?
    in english please...I have my shock in the lower mounting position and I can't turn the dial that sets spring pre-load. is any of what you said, what I'm trying to do? do I need the SPV tool?

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    your spacer bushings have ovalized holes, this is why your shock moves back and forth. insanely common.....

get some new ones.....
    Bang!

I just swapped the bushing in my 5th - no more sloppy slop.

Pro Crastinator
    your spacer bushings have ovalized holes, this is why your shock moves back and forth. insanely common.....

get some new ones.....

Racer
    the socket adjusts spv volume and to set preload just grab the spring and turn (very easy)

T.Dot Represent
    its definitly the bushings if its a swinger, my friend had the exact same problem changed them out and its good as new!
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

Members who have read this thread: 0