demo 8 or demo 9!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

demo 8 or demo 9!!!!

Does anybody know the difference in weight between the 2 frames. The demo 8 is said to be lighter, i just don't know roughly how much. The 135mm rear spacing on the 8 with a 16.7 chainstay sounds weird. Would that make for a pretty poor chainline? Any input would be great, thanks.

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by chicago
    Does anybody know the difference in weight between the 2 frames. The demo 8 is said to be lighter, i just don't know roughly how much. The 135mm rear spacing on the 8 with a 16.7 chainstay sounds weird. Would that make for a pretty poor chainline? Any input would be great, thanks.
    Wait till 2006 bikes and theres going to be a Demo 7, Demo 8, Demo 9 and Demo 10. D 7 and 8 frame will be the same with diff. shock strokes and D9 and 10 will be the same frame with diff. shock strokes. Also, how do chainstays affect chainline>?

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Team
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    Wait till 2006 bikes and theres going to be a Demo 7, Demo 8, Demo 9 and Demo 10. D 7 and 8 frame will be the same with diff. shock strokes and D9 and 10 will be the same frame with diff. shock strokes. Also, how do chainstays affect chainline>?

-TS
    Are you serious?

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by DHbiker
    Are you serious?
    Yes, i would never lie.

-TS

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Are you serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    the thingamajig that's attached to the doohickey is causing some issues with the whatchamacallit. But whatever it is your going to have take'er apart a give'er a looksee.
    Nice quote ya got there! That was definitely one of my better days.

go big or go home

-TS
    Tru dat! haha ya the frames will be shitloads cheaper when new models come out too.

Get off yer arse and on yere bike!

where's the kick stand?
    Mar 2004
    I think it's like 2 ounds or something like that, not much. Ya might want to wait until 05 models come out and get an 03 D9 , they will start going for pretty cheap probably, unless the wieght difference is to much for ya .
    live to ride, ride to live

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by madmax
    I think it's like 2 ounds or something like that, not much. Ya might want to wait until 05 models come out and get an 03 D9 , they will start going for pretty cheap probably, unless the wieght difference is to much for ya .
    2lbs is a bunch of weight even on a DH bike.

-TS

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The demo 9 is overkill unless you want to drop sky scrapers. Given it is a bad ass bike but what do you plan on doing with 9'' of travel?

mtbr member

I rode on both...

The 8 just feel great. the right weight, right angles, and the Fox 40 just completed the perfect package.

Team
    Yes, i would never lie.

-TS

Will they still have the good old Big Hit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wait...you rode BOTH bikes to decide which is better suited for YOU? What an outrageous concept. You should share your secret with the other members of the board.

Sorry, work sucks this week...the sarcasm is flowing so easily....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Nice quote ya got there! That was definitely one of my better days.

hey i started that thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

Uhhhhh...
    Will they still have the good old Big Hit?
    The Bighit will be discontinued after this fiscal year.

-TS

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i currently ride a d9 and the bike is amazing ! pedals great ,corners like mad, eats anything in its way and just gives me alot of confidence.
    however , unless i got the deal i got (a crime to turn it down) , i think i would have opted for the d8 - it has the exact same geometry cept lower bb hight and diff seat tube angle = corners better (if its even possible), it is about 1 pound lighter (max) and it comes with the dh40.
    also, with the d9 , u always feel as if what u do (no matter how big) isnt enough to get near the limits of the bike - though it could be just me (no huge hucker , just like to go fast).

all in all - d9 if you are a racer and a hucker and d8 if u are more race oriented (imho).

p.s - alot of weight diff between the bikes are fork , tires and rims and not the frame.

Innovate or die!

bs

if TheSherpa was serious then why the heck was he fighting me about demo 8 weight, he doesn't know specialized stuff. He is BSing us. Show us proof. (I have to be your archnemisis by now TS! na man i would be stoked if you were talking truth)

mtbr member

what can I tell you...

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    Wait...you rode BOTH bikes to decide which is better suited for YOU? What an outrageous concept. You should share your secret with the other members of the board.

Sorry, work sucks this week...the sarcasm is flowing so easily....
    The Fox 40 Work match better VS to 888, and the whole bike feel lighter.

Master of Custodial Arts
    Why wait until 06 and miss an entire years worth of riding. Get the D8 with a boxxer, or 7in 888. The fox is to much green. Save for trips or something. My friend Ryan let me ride his D8 w/ boxxer on the trail yesterday. It rides super stiff through berms, but still soaks up all the roots and braking bumps. The bike is amazing. Thats my vote.
    When my mom tries to tell me what to do I tell her to SHUT HER HOLE BEFOR I KICK HER IN THE NUTS!

SXtreem now
    get thr d9. the d8 is going to be a sik bike no doubt, but more for dh racing. the d8 frame is 2lbs lighter.

Perpetrator of Lawsuits
    I can't say anything about the D8, as I have no experience with them, however I have a D9 and absolutely love it. You probably couldn't lose with either choice.

Master of Custodial Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by RMXtreem
    get thr d9. the d8 is going to be a sik bike no doubt, but more for dh racing. the d8 frame is 2lbs lighter.
    Wow, I'm glad you know what your talking about!
    When my mom tries to tell me what to do I tell her to SHUT HER HOLE BEFOR I KICK HER IN THE NUTS!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Well, I've heard that the Demo 8 is more of a downhill bike, and the Demo 9 is more a freeride bike. Don't know if that will help at all, but by the look of them, you can't go wrong.
    Have fun on it

mtbr member
    Would that make for a pretty poor chainline? Any input would be great, thanks.

It uses an asymetric rear triangle, like the Big Hits. Basically, the rear end of the bike is offset 6mm to the drive side, and the wheel is dished 6mm to the non-drive. The other benefit of this is that you get a stronger rear wheel, with less overall dish.
    ...he said "young man pay heed, you listen well to what i say, now there comes a time for a man to walk away"