Deity Decoy Pedals- Mtbr.com
    Ancient Chinese Secret

Deity Decoy Pedals

Hey, my 2 month old Decoys self destructed on the trail today. The pedal slid right off the spindle. I did some trailside repair and figured out that the bolt keeping the bearing attached to the spindle undid itself. I wonder if there shoulda been some locktite on it. Also, looks like a metal band or bearing on the crank side was split down the middle, so I pulled it out to get the pedal back on. I think I need another one, what is it, a grease seal or bearing or something? Anyway, rolling without right now.

I'm calling Deity tomorrow and find out what they say. Otherwise, seem like nice, thin, grippy, bomber pedals. Only thing I don't like so far (aside from self-destructing) is that the spindles do not have flat edges on them so I can use a pedal wrench for installation. I hafta use an allen wrench on the inside of the spindle adjacent the crank arms for install.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    they do have locktite on that nut, but you should have felt some play before they broke if the bearing broke. i don't know how you figured out a way to break them. the design is really well done. i don't know why you're complaining about not having to use a pedal wrench though, i love using allen keys

but they'll probably send you a rebuild kit for free. they did when the nut on my pair stripped.

Ancient Chinese Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson
    they do have locktite on that nut, but you should have felt some play before they broke if the bearing broke. i don't know how you figured out a way to break them. the design is really well done. i don't know why you're complaining about not having to use a pedal wrench though, i love using allen keys

but they'll probably send you a rebuild kit for free. they did when the nut on my pair stripped.
    The bolt undid itself. The bearing didn't break, the nut simply threaded off. The bearing looks fine to me. Seems like would be easy to happen if there was no loctite on the spindle threads.

What broke was a metal band on the inside of the pedal. Not sure what function that has.

Ideas Above My Station...
    Only thing I don't like so far (aside from self-destructing) is that the spindles do not have flat edges on them so I can use a pedal wrench for installation. I hafta use an allen wrench on the inside of the spindle adjacent the crank arms for install.
    I saw a review saying the same thing the other day....
    ...i do not understand how this is a negative? Do you really wanna have to carry a wrench on the trail rather than the default allen key set? Wrenchs are a pain in the ass.
    I love my Decoys, i've lost a fair few pins now now, but if you hit a pedal hard enough/enough times, that will happen! They're kinda the right amount of grippy now with my 5.10's, bit too much with a full set of pins!!

Not sure about the spindle issue, its pretty much the exact same Kona Wah Wah innards, and they're legendary. Give em a ring, they're good people.
    Its All Downhill From Here....!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i don't know why you're complaining about not having to use a pedal wrench though, i love using allen keys.
    Wrenches are much faster.

Pivotal figure
    Faster? So much easier to spin them on with an allen, and quicker IMO.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Meh.
    Call or email Deity. They'll take care of you.

With a wrench and a bike in the stand, you start the thread and backpedal while holding the wrench on the flat. And then give the wheel a good backwards tug. The pedal is now nice and tight.

However, an allen is not much (if at all) slower. And it convenient to not have to have a wrench with you. It tightens up just fine.

mtbr member
    definitely give Deity a call. I have dealt with them before on a set of bars and their customer service is top notch!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    With a bike in the stand it's much faster to use a wrench, that's why bike mechanics in shops (myself formerly) use them. You should never have to tighten a pedal on the trail if you applied sufficient torque (another nice trait of a pedal wrench).

Ancient Chinese Secret
    i don't know why you're complaining about not having to use a pedal wrench though, i love using allen keys
    My old DMR's have both allen and flat pedal wrench features so you can pick. I use the pedal wrench in the stand, but it would be nice to use an allen as a backup. I've never had a pedal undo itself from the crank arm though.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    I l
    ike the allens...but it is 6 of one/half a dozen the other
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Pivotal figure
    I just hate having to dig that big ole pedal wrench out The only drag is having some pedals with 6mm and others with 8mm...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gurp
    Wrenches are much faster.
    Allen wrenches typically are not as long as a pedal wrench. I.E. you can't put as much torque on the pedal when you install it or remove it.

That being said...I like the option of using both.

Members who have read this thread: 0