deity cranks?- Mtbr.com

Thread: deity cranks?

not really a noob

deity cranks?

soon i am going to be building my own bike from the frame up and selling my Gem, i was going to has it be a white and pink combo, and i was looking into some diety cranks. are they any good? i saw someone post a pic of a bunch of broken ones. also can you run a bash on them??
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

not really a noob
    http://media.putfile.com/lake-17

video of me jumping a bike into a lake

mtbr member
    You can use them with a bash ring but you'll proabably have to buy an MRP spider or something.

mtbr remember
    I'll put in a vote for the wethepeople Royal sanko cranks. I have a set in grey, but I know they come in white, or red, or black as well, all with euro bb's. proven set up. are you running with a geared set up? which kind of bash, you can get a bmx sprocket with a built in bash, such as the Macniel or S&M. I'm running an Animal lite, and it has the option of a bolt on bash guard. or if you're using gears and a guide, you can get an e.13 guide-ring that is compatible.
    that said, I have no first hand experience with the Deity's, so can't help you there, but like I said, I spent my money elsewhere....
    as for the white and pink... is this for valentine's day? good luck trying to sell that in a year, as your resale will take a dump on itself.
    Schralp it Heavy.

My arm hurts a little
    Pink??????

What's up with everything Pink these past two years??? Ahhh just another FAD in two years everyone will be saying "What was I thinking"!!!
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    I'll put in a vote for the wethepeople Royal sanko cranks. I have a set in grey, but I know they come in white, or red, or black as well, all with euro bb's. proven set up. are you running with a geared set up? which kind of bash, you can get a bmx sprocket with a built in bash, such as the Macniel or S&M. I'm running an Animal lite, and it has the option of a bolt on bash guard. or if you're using gears and a guide, you can get an e.13 guide-ring that is compatible.
    that said, I have no first hand experience with the Deity's, so can't help you there, but like I said, I spent my money elsewhere....
    as for the white and pink... is this for valentine's day? good luck trying to sell that in a year, as your resale will take a dump on itself.
    do you have a link to manufacterer

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcore newbie
    soon i am going to be building my own bike from the frame up and selling my Gem, i was going to has it be a white and pink combo, and i was looking into some diety cranks. are they any good? i saw someone post a pic of a bunch of broken ones. also can you run a bash on them??
    deity 4130 cranks are everything youd expect them to be.

i know alot of people riding deity cranks, including myself and i can happily say that i dont think youll be breaking a set anytime soon. but just for the record, if somehow you do...? deity has a crash replacement policy and limited life time warranty on all of there products. which means if you break any deity product within 2 years of purchase theyll give you 50% off a crash replacement and cover all manufacturer defects etc.

you can run a bashguard but why bother? keep it simple/light and run an e.13 LG-1.

here are a few reviews on them...

http://www.bustedspoke.com/review_deity_crankset.php
    http://www.hcor.net/modules.php?name...op=show&rid=12
    http://www.revolutionfreeride.com/re..._crankset_2005

get yourself a set, you wont be dissapointed. plus they look unreal...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hardcore Newbie,
    Thanks for the post and interest in the Crankset...
    I have listed some information below for you in regards to your questions:

1) Bash- You bet, running a bash or even setting them up around a chain guide is not a problem. What separates the deity crankset from many other BMX 3 piece cranks on the market is that they have been designed with a MTB in mind, not a BMX. That is why they come with longer spindles to accomodate 68 and 73mm BB shells...allow enough spindle to crankarm engagement, so that setting them up to any chain guide on the market is not a problem...weigh lighter than a lot of the aluminum DH cranks on the market...and come in 170mm length for crankarm clearance on low BBs (instead of 175 and 180mm).
    They also utilize standard shimano/park tools to install the BB cups instead of the conventional crescent wrench used by almost every other BMX company. The reason that this is important is because getting a wrench to clear the counter step'd boomerang on many chain guides can be impossible, so using a standard MTB tool is key.
    To outfit them with a bash, you have a couple of options:
    a) We offer our 4B DH Sprocket that is designed around an 8 or 9 speed chain and is machined out of 7075 T6 aluminum in a 4B 104 pattern. This basically replaces your standard spider + chainring which increases stiffness, reduces weight, and allows for an easier set up. They come in 34, 36, and 38T sizes...
    The 4B DH Sprocket is available to fit any 19 mm BB spindle on the market (Standard) and is also available in a 48T splined format (Splined).
    E13 is the other company who offers a similar idea (their Sprocket is in a 5B pattern and available in a 36T).
    b) The second option is picking up any aftermarket spider and running it with a chainring. FSA makes a cost effective and strong option which will not kill the bank account. They come in two different formats, for single ring use and for 2-3 ring use. So, even if you want to run a middle and granny up front...that is not a problem either.

2) Broken Crankset- We have sold over 9,000 cranksets globally and have only had 14 crankarms (not sets) break. Most of these arms were destroyed by riders who self profess how hard they are on their parts and if it was not our Crankarm, it would have been someone elses. The Crankarms in the picture that you are inquiring about were all from one rider. It is not something that we are proud of, but I can be the first to say, that our Cranks (which are not over built heavy 3 piece cranks), may not be the best option for him as we have thousands of people running them problem free and reassured that we are here for them for the long haul. Are we still here to support him?...of course.
    If you want to read unbiased reviews that may shed some light on the BMX Cranksets on the market ...check out:
    http://www.bmx-test.com/cgi-bin/revi...ategory=cranks
    Companies have dedicated warranty departments to field all of their daily calls. Of course we are not that large of a company and also do not have notorious warranty issues, so for a company as young as we are, we are proud to stand behind parts that we feel can withstand abuse while still being competitively light.
    Like BJ mentioned, we offer a limited Lifetime Warranty on Crankarms, spindles, Stems, and Handlebars, We also offer a 2 Year limited Warranty on the remaining product...
    On top of that we also offer a 2 year Crash Replacement Policy, where any broken part, including saddles etc, that is damaged from a crash or repeated bails received 50% off a replacement.
    If we had problems with our product, we would not stand behind it the way we do or we would not be in business.
    Either way, if you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask and feel free to also drop us a line at 503.372.5549 or even e-mail me at eric@deitycomponents.com
    Thanks for the interest, support, and keep riding hard!
    Regards,
    Eric
    deity

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    has it be a white and pink combo
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

banned
    Black and pink is sick so suck a dick.

My arm hurts a little
    Quote Originally Posted by deity
    Hardcore Newbie,
    Thanks for the post and interest in the Crankset...
    I have listed some information below for you in regards to your questions:

1) Bash- You bet, running a bash or even setting them up around a chain guide is not a problem. What separates the deity crankset from many other BMX 3 piece cranks on the market is that they have been designed with a MTB in mind, not a BMX. That is why they come with longer spindles to accomodate 68 and 73mm BB shells...allow enough spindle to crankarm engagement, so that setting them up to any chain guide on the market is not a problem...weigh lighter than a lot of the aluminum DH cranks on the market...and come in 170mm length for crankarm clearance on low BBs (instead of 175 and 180mm).
    They also utilize standard shimano/park tools to install the BB cups instead of the conventional crescent wrench used by almost every other BMX company. The reason that this is important is because getting a wrench to clear the counter step'd boomerang on many chain guides can be impossible, so using a standard MTB tool is key.
    To outfit them with a bash, you have a couple of options:
    a) We offer our 4B DH Sprocket that is designed around an 8 or 9 speed chain and is machined out of 7075 T6 aluminum in a 4B 104 pattern. This basically replaces your standard spider + chainring which increases stiffness, reduces weight, and allows for an easier set up. They come in 34, 36, and 38T sizes...
    The 4B DH Sprocket is available to fit any 19 mm BB spindle on the market (Standard) and is also available in a 48T splined format (Splined).
    E13 is the other company who offers a similar idea (their Sprocket is in a 5B pattern and available in a 36T).
    b) The second option is picking up any aftermarket spider and running it with a chainring. FSA makes a cost effective and strong option which will not kill the bank account. They come in two different formats, for single ring use and for 2-3 ring use. So, even if you want to run a middle and granny up front...that is not a problem either.

2) Broken Crankset- We have sold over 9,000 cranksets globally and have only had 14 crankarms (not sets) break. Most of these arms were destroyed by riders who self profess how hard they are on their parts and if it was not our Crankarm, it would have been someone elses. The Crankarms in the picture that you are inquiring about were all from one rider. It is not something that we are proud of, but I can be the first to say, that our Cranks (which are not over built heavy 3 piece cranks), may not be the best option for him as we have thousands of people running them problem free and reassured that we are here for them for the long haul. Are we still here to support him?...of course.
    If you want to read unbiased reviews that may shed some light on the BMX Cranksets on the market ...check out:
    http://www.bmx-test.com/cgi-bin/revi...ategory=cranks
    Companies have dedicated warranty departments to field all of their daily calls. Of course we are not that large of a company and also do not have notorious warranty issues, so for a company as young as we are, we are proud to stand behind parts that we feel can withstand abuse while still being competitively light.
    Like BJ mentioned, we offer a limited Lifetime Warranty on Crankarms, spindles, Stems, and Handlebars, We also offer a 2 Year limited Warranty on the remaining product...
    On top of that we also offer a 2 year Crash Replacement Policy, where any broken part, including saddles etc, that is damaged from a crash or repeated bails received 50% off a replacement.
    If we had problems with our product, we would not stand behind it the way we do or we would not be in business.
    Either way, if you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask and feel free to also drop us a line at 503.372.5549 or even e-mail me at eric@deitycomponents.com
    Thanks for the interest, support, and keep riding hard!
    Regards,
    Eric
    deity

WOW Talk about Customer Service!!!!

Eric
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-

i know alot of people riding deity cranks, including myself and i can happily say that i dont think youll be breaking a set anytime soon. but just for the record, if somehow you do...? deity has a crash replacement policy and limited life time warranty on all of there products. which means if you break any deity product within 2 years of purchase theyll give you 50% off a crash replacement and cover all manufacturer defects etc.

you can run a bashguard but why bother? keep it simple/light and run an e.13 LG-1.

Not too mention they are a small company and everyone rides. They are great to deal with and an email or phone call to Eric will get you a prompt answer.

-Javier
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

mtbr member

Just another vote of confidence...

Eric is a great guy and runs a great company.

He has a long involvement in the bike industry (he even helped Knolly out back in our super duper early days) and has earned a phenominal reputation. You definitely can NOT go wrong with their components and customer service.

Cheers,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    dam that is awesome CS when someone from the company actually comes right out and fully answers your questions! i may get a pair if i still have problems with my saints...just a bit unsure about weight?

Glad to Be Alive

I hate anything bad, but that is weaksauce
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-

You said why bother running and Bash guard? Well.... when your riding a trail and you you roll over something or land on something that is higher than your BB, or if your doing urban assault and hit some concrete objects...... well, thats why alot of people have bashguards not trying to be a d!ck or anything, you know alot more about bikes than me, just stating some reasons.

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfreerider510
    dam that is awesome CS when someone from the company actually comes right out and fully answers your questions! i may get a pair if i still have problems with my saints...just a bit unsure about weight?

Crank and chainring combo isn't too much more than Saints. What's a few more grams? After all it isn't a super duper ultra light granny gear using XC race bike.
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Looks like a good way to learn some intermediate maneuvers without harsh consequences!

not really a noob
    im gonna have to get a set of cranks just for the response

Sedona, Az USA
    the set ive seen had lots of powdercoating in the splines. I personally run profiles. while the profiles dont have powdercoating in the splies, i give the splines a good cleaning with solvent and a wire brush. then i clean the spindle (axle) as well.

then coat the spindle and crank splines with anti-seize. this will keep your steel spindle and steel arms from rusting together. my profile crank arms come off the axle with just s slight pull with bare hands - no tools required.

the more time you spend preparing the cranks, the easier they will be in the future to come off.

you can see the copper anti-seize here. the anti-seize pictured above is silver, it works the same. i just happened to have copper onhand.
    https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...p/DSC00014.jpg

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    Black and pink is sick so suck a dick.
    until berrecloth stops riding that color. then it wont be cool anymore
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

mtbr member
    true dat...i don't care about a few grams but had to ask...if im spending extra cash for a nice set why not get the lighter pair? with that said i will see how the saints do for a bit more and then make the choice.

QUOTE=J_B]Crank and chainring combo isn't too much more than Saints. What's a few more grams? After all it isn't a super duper ultra light granny gear using XC race bike.[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by #1ORBUST
    Pink??????

What's up with everything Pink these past two years??? Ahhh just another FAD in two years everyone will be saying "What was I thinking"!!!
    I don't understand it either. I don't know why any straight guy would want a bike or anything for that matter with pink on it.
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

mtbr member
    i dont understand how someone always ends up saying stupid shyt like that, i had no idea we were classiftying people as straight by which colors they liked guess i better get with the program......im not a pink fan either but everyone has their own style .

Quote Originally Posted by MTB1986
    I don't understand it either. I don't know why any straight guy would want a bike or anything for that matter with pink on it.

mtbr remember
    yeah, what's with the homosexual thing here... does the pink threaten your comfort with your own sexuality? that has nothing to do with it, nobody said anything about that... did you get shredded by a girlie dude on the trails?
    I just think pink is a horrible color on machinery in my opinion (no matter what it's associated with in pop culture), and will quickly lose it's resale value, just as neon green and flourecsent orange and purple did in the early 90's.
    I like earthtones and hotrod flat black, call me a treehugger, or a greasemonkey, go ahead....
    Last edited by BikeSATORI; 07-05-2006 at 09:11 PM.
    Schralp it Heavy.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    until berrecloth stops riding that color. then it wont be cool anymore
    Huh?? He has a black and pink bike!?

I have always wanted a black and pink bike actually, black frame with black and pink parts and a hot pink pike. I'm weird.

notabouttoseeyourlight
    I thought the claw rocked baby blue... which is cooler than pink anyway.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr remember
    I thought I remembered someone with a hot pink 888 and some other stuff last year... I don't keep up too well on riders, so I'm not sure, but I think it was berrecloth...
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebfreerider510
    i dont understand how someone always ends up saying stupid shyt like that, i had no idea we were classiftying people as straight by which colors they liked guess i better get with the program......im not a pink fan either but everyone has their own style .
    Pink is well known as feminine/girl based color. I'm not calling the kid gay, but he's deff.gonna rasie some eyebrows on a white/pink bike.
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

mtbr member
    for the record im not trying to start an E-Battle or anything of that genre...just putting the point out there. maybe he will raise some eyebrows.....maybe he wants to, nothing wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MTB1986
    Pink is well known as feminine/girl based color. I'm not calling the kid gay, but he's deff.gonna rasie some eyebrows on a white/pink bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0