Deer Valley UT?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Deer Valley UT?

mtbr member

Deer Valley UT?

Can anyone give me any insight into the quality of the DH at Deer Valley. Our summer road trip takes us right by there around the time the NMBS race is going on and we were thinking about including it in the trip. But needless to say, I don't want to take 3 days out of the trip to participate in the races if the trails aren't worth it.

Thanks,
    -Kit
    WickedChickenz - Art for mountainbikers, by mountainbikers.
    -Self is the only prison that can ever bind the soul

notabouttoseeyourlight
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedChicken
    Can anyone give me any insight into the quality of the DH at Deer Valley. Our summer road trip takes us right by there around the time the NMBS race is going on and we were thinking about including it in the trip. But needless to say, I don't want to take 3 days out of the trip to participate in the races if the trails aren't worth it.

Thanks,
    -Kit

I haven't been there but a friend of mine who used to live in the area said it was his favorite national he ever attended and that the course is always super fun.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    ther are two solid "dh" trails @ dv and a handful of really fun flowy others. the nationals course will not be open to the public during race weekend,the other side being that it gets the a$$ torn out of it so its always a bit of a oummer post race. that being said, yes , it probably is worth a stop in park city, sweet singltrack, dirt jumps in town, good restaurants and plenty of bars. hope to see you this summer.
    It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose!

mtbr member
    This is coming from a local and after having been to a few resorts. DV is a decent place. The NCS trail, the one they use for DH racing is pretty good. But like all Norba trails is not maintained. It is a very rugged trail and has little to no flow in most parts. If you're looking for trails with doubles, burms, drops, NS, and well groomed flow lines that require little to no breaking you may be disappointed. Instead you will find large rock gardens, lots of breaking bumps, roots, loose rock, gravel...this is some times my delight.... rugged is fun when you want it.

There is really no trail selection to be honest. Maybe a dozen that are blue rated or higher. Most of all the the double black diamonds are about a single black on a good scale, with some being lower. The only trail that is worthy of the DBD status is the NCS.

This is where I get really critical of the resort. They do have a few on hand who attempt to make something of it. But they really don't know what they are doing. To me they try to make stuff that they have seen on videos with no real knowledge of what they are doing. Example: they made a latter drop out in the heavily wooded area. To make this drop they had to make a suspended 25' latter; dug out (escavated more like it) a ton of dirt. Problems: didn't use the natural terrain, tranny was only 5' long, way too close to the bottom of the latter, and ran out to a wall of trees..the trail just ended. Alternative: they should have used all that time they wasted...the entire summer... on building up burms, racking out braking bumps, removing loose rock in flow sections....blah...blah...blah...

Another example: they dug out three good sized hips in an open pasture..... Problem: no landing.... all to flat landings. Why my critic? because they don't hire outside the circle of friends (read: no real riders in the planning and development). DV can be more caring and supportive by hiring some good riders who are out there. In all reality they are a hazaard ready to happen by not maintaing the trails.... all it takes is some rider to go down and kill himself.

On the bright side for the price it is unbeatable. $20 a day... that is if they don't up the prices.
    Bikeless Rider

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Deer Valley courses are good; I think it would be worth 3 days of your vacation. As much as people complain about NORBA, nationals are still fun. If you’re out riding your bike, hanging out with your friends, riding a chairlift to the top of the mountain, drinking some beer, how can you not have a good time? I would say that you would probably have more fun if you spend more than 3 days in Park City...

Mouse's Mom
    Yes it's definitely worth the trip! If you would like to see for yourself, my shots from Deer Valley last year are still up on my site. Go to this link for direct entry to that gallery. http://www.jodygomez.com/g/deer_valley_2005

PhotoMom
    http://www.JodyGomez.com Someone please teach me to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by rapwithtom
    If you start a race confident you'll podium, you're a sandbagger.

Members who have read this thread: 0