Deer Valley Course Description..?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Deer Valley Course Description..?

A bunch of us are going to Deer Valley next weekend. I've checked the BB website and Deer Valley's and there's really NO course description what so ever.

Has anyone here raced it or ridden it? I did hear this weekend (at Angel Fire) that it will be an awesome course, but that doesn't say much.

I'd like to know elevation drop and maybe average times for Pro's and Experts.

Thanks
    P"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Winn
    A bunch of us are going to Deer Valley next weekend. I've checked the BB website and Deer Valley's and there's really NO course description what so ever.

Has anyone here raced it or ridden it? I did hear this weekend (at Angel Fire) that it will be an awesome course, but that doesn't say much.

Thanks
    P"
    The course is rough. Really, really rough. I think Nico raced our last national in 2001, which is the more or less the same course that is projected for next weekend, and he said it was probably the roughest course he has ever written.

If the weather dries out (it was snowing a bit up there today), the dirt gets very deep and powdery, and there are a lot of rocks and tree roots. We typically run 2.5" - 2.8" tires at a bit higher pressures. I think pro times are around four minutes, but I'm not positive regarding that.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by James @ Go-Ride
    The course is rough. Really, really rough. I think Nico raced our last national in 2001, which is the more or less the same course that is projected for next weekend, and he said it was probably the roughest course he has ever written.

If the weather dries out (it was snowing a bit up there today), the dirt gets very deep and powdery, and there are a lot of rocks and tree roots. We typically run 2.5" - 2.8" tires at a bit higher pressures. I think pro times are around four minutes, but I'm not positive regarding that.
    So its a Comp 32 up front kinda course? Any jumps or drops?
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    So its a Comp 32 up front kinda course? Any jumps or drops?
    I think most of our guys will be on Maxxis Minions in a 2.5, but the Comp32 would be a good call for DV. I think it comes in second in terms of brutally rough and choking dust only to Schweitzer. There aren't a lot of jumps, but there is a rough drop-in called The Waterfall, a super-fast louge section, a pretty burly rock garden, etc. There was one big semi road gap jump that fed into a really, really fast and steep right hander but I think that's getting re-routed as it was sort of dangerous. We'll see though, I think the top of the course is getting dug out of the snow at the moment.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

Uhhhhh...
    I think most of our guys will be on Maxxis Minions in a 2.5, but the Comp32 would be a good call for DV. I think it comes in second in terms of brutally rough and choking dust only to Schweitzer. There aren't a lot of jumps, but there is a rough drop-in called The Waterfall, a super-fast louge section, a pretty burly rock garden, etc. There was one big semi road gap jump that fed into a really, really fast and steep right hander but I think that's getting re-routed as it was sort of dangerous. We'll see though, I think the top of the course is getting dug out of the snow at the moment.
    Awesome. And speaking of your guys, jesus there were lots at Angelfire, and your chick is a pinner.

Cynical Bystander
    Awesome. And speaking of your guys, jesus there were lots at Angelfire, and your chick is a pinner.
    Will, are you going to Deer Valley?

I heard from some folks on the lift at AF that DV is still covered in snow.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Will, are you going to Deer Valley?

I heard from some folks on the lift at AF that DV is still covered in snow.
    Yea we are,

Cynical Bystander
    Speaking of which, anybody have results for said race?
    They're up on the usacycling site.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Cynical Bystander
    Yea we are,
    b1tch
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Speaking of which, anybody have results for said race?

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

rollin
    the nationals course is pretty fun.
    the waterfall is the crux, it's steep and rocky, but for like 15 feet, i guess the pro's boost it, but it's a tight line.
    the rock gardens are cool, but not really steep, just random rock lines that are pretty solid.
    there's one part that's in a steep gully with banked turn after banked turn. it's pretty fun because you really start to throw the bike in those turns and get drifting.
    the course has quit a few sections where you start going pretty fast and it becomes a matter of how fast you want to go.
    deer valley get's deep and dusty late in the summer, not sure about the conditions right now.

Flowtronic engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Winn

Thanks
    P"
    I'm probably going up there tomorrow to check things out, and definitely doing shuttles on Thursday. The NCS course is clear of snow, but the upper mountain is still under it. They've been doing a fair bit of work on the course, there is re-route around the old "road gap" thingy: some big log steps and a good size berm to shoot you across the ski run.
    Its a good course, I've never raced it but I've ridden it a fair bit. It doesn't strike me as too rough. I'd say its comparable to the old AF courses, a good mix of everything.
    I really identify with you...SO MUCH.

"Feelin stupid? I know I am."
    "You just have to forget everything you know about gravity."
    H. Simpson

mtbr member
    May 2005

muchos gracius

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like a fun technical course, see some of you there.

P"

Merrrrjig
    Jan 2004
    Sounds great! You think it will be a great course for photos>?