Deemax Dent- Mtbr.com

Thread: Deemax Dent

mtbr member

Deemax Dent

I just noticed a big dent in my rear wheel. Has anyone else had a dent like this in their deemax? How much more time did you you get out of it before replacing? I really don't want to spend 500 on a wheel right now...Deemax Dent-imageuploadedbytapatalk1337365946.958907.jpgDeemax Dent-imageuploadedbytapatalk1337365978.446148.jpg

RideDirt
    Did u land on a big rock or something ? Looks like a not so smooth transition lol .

mtbr member
    landed sideways on the edge of a rock

Slap happy crappiness
    You don't need to spend $500 on a new wheel, just rebuild it with a new rim. As is, your rim looks pretty much at the end of it's usable life, the eyelet is clearly pulling out. Either ride it till it blows up, or just replace it now; no telling when/if it'll actually fail, but you never know with damage like that.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    I've never built a wheel and wouldn't know where to start. Does Mavic sell rims alone? What else would I need?

Locs on Spokez
    If you've never built a wheel before I'd recommend you let your local shop take over
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    I emailed my bike mechanic about my situation and this was the response....

The Deemax uses proprietary spokes so I wouldn't be able to build it with another rim. I think the best thing is to visit a Mavic dealer and have it rebuilt. Most of the Mavic wheels all use proprietary parts so that nothing else will fit but that part.
    THanks
    Matt

There are no mavic dealers near me. Should I contact another bike shop?

Slap happy crappiness
    Have him or yourself call Mavic and order the rim.

dirt visionary
    That looks okay but thats just me ..I have the same wheelset and that wouldn't bug me. The paint job is very thick and I see no visual issue ..Does the wheel have a bad hop? does it hold air? the bend can even be fixed with the right persons knowledge
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    from what i got told when i had my rear wheel rebuilt last year in whistler, the mavic ex 721 is the aftermarket version of the deemax, (so it's the same rim) not to sure on what your mechanic said as i have hope pro2 hubs, so when my rear was rebuilt it was only the rim that was needed, but i decided to get spokes and nipples to, anyways check out the link below,
    EX 721 Disc - rims - mountain bike - Mavic

Bicycles | Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Road Bikes | MTB Bikes | Bike Parts | Bike Frames | Road Frames | MTB Frames

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Unfortunately the machanic is right. That is the problem with mavics prebuilt wheels. If the wheel still rolls ok I would leave it. This is dh your wheels will look like that. Have you tried to straighten it with a wrench? Spokes and everything are proprietary with that. Any good lbs should be able to order you the stuff to fix it.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Also wouldn't the 823 be the closest to the deemax?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty View Post
    Also wouldn't the 823 be the closest to the deemax?
    isnt the 823 the ust version of the 721.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    You don't need to spend $500 on a new wheel, just rebuild it with a new rim. As is, your rim looks pretty much at the end of it's usable life, the eyelet is clearly pulling out. Either ride it till it blows up, or just replace it now; no telling when/if it'll actually fail, but you never know with damage like that.
    Agreed. I would worry about the eyelet much more than the dent.

Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    isnt the 823 the ust version of the 721.....
    No. They are pretty different. The 823 is wider and quite a bit heavier in addition to the different nipple interface and UST capabilities. The Deemax rim is based on the 823. The Deemax ultimate uses a rim that is closer to the 721 but still has major differences.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Life Is Short
    I would forgo Deemax, sure a great wheelset but when hitting rocks and such its a costly venture to keep on repairing wheels like the proprietary Mavic Deemax. Kind of like buying a Mac computer desktop or Dell--- the motherboards are proprietary to the tower.

I use Sun MTX33. $44 a hoop, uses spokes & nipples you can buy anywhere as long as they are cut
    the right length, like any hoop. Also any shop who has a wheelbuilder can fix one/string one up in nothing flat. May not have the bling factor as a Deemax but IMO its stronger and wider than most.
    Good luck.

Look at the time!
    Dude, just keep riding. It will not blow up, even if the spoke pulls out. The Deemax Rim (which are close to the aftermarket 823, as others have said) are pretty bombproof. If the spoke fails, you'll have a wobble in your wheel, but you won't get a catastrophic failure.

Worst case with this dent (if you are riding tubeless) is that it will start slowly leaking air, and then you can just pop a tube or some tire sealant in and keep riding anyhow.

The eyelet in the first picture on the right side doesn't look 100% right, possible that it is starting to pull out. Also possible that it just isn't threaded in all the way or has unthreaded itself a bit, in which case you can just screw it back in with a drop of loctite.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    Dude, just keep riding.
    Agreed, I just tend to lend advise on the side of caution.
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    The eyelet in the first picture on the right side doesn't look 100% right, possible that it is starting to pull out. Also possible that it just isn't threaded in all the way or has unthreaded itself a bit, in which case you can just screw it back in with a drop of loctite.
    It looks to be pulling out. You can see the actual part the eyelet threads into being pulled out of the rim.

mtbr member
    Are you talking about the threads of the spoke coming out of the rim?? Cause all them look like that, on both wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trap121 View Post
    Are you talking about the threads of the spoke coming out of the rim?? Cause all them look like that, on both wheels.
    Those spokes are fine. They won't all have the exact same amount off exposed thread. As long as the wheel has no major hops and is true then it should be good to ride.

Slap happy crappiness
    Eyelets, not spokes.

mtbr member
    PS, the Dee-Max rims are 28 spoke. Are the 823 and 721's the same or are they 32h? ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    32 or 36 I have them on both my bikes.

mtbr member
    Yes - i've dented, cracked all the way through and kinked my rear deemax in three places, all at once. It is tubeless and still held the air. Deemax win.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deemax Dent-557425_3635108517348_1933700597_n.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0