DECISIONS: 5' 3" Chicks Bike...- Mtbr.com
    BJ-
    Rota Imports

DECISIONS: 5' 3" Chicks Bike...

a good little friend on mine is getting into bikes...

and she wants something that she can learn to ride and whilst doing so wont break and that can be kept for a short while...jupming really appeals to her so a more 4by/Dual bike orientated bike would be a good idea...she also wants to do big DH/FR type stuff aswell but i can easily and will buy a new bike for that in the future...

shes 5' 3" and weighs around 100lbs...

i was thinking a good solid dirtjumping/freeriding hardtail...example Santa Cruz Jackal...

or something like a short travel full supension 4by/Dual bike...example Santa Cruz Blur 4x...

money is no object...her parents are millionares and will only buy her the best...so im thinking high end frame and components...Santa Cruz or something similar like Yeti or Intense...just something that practically awesome and we would all kill to have...

it needs to be small and light which im mainly goign to focus on...but im really just seeking approval or ideas and suggestions as to what im thinking...should be a light build with Easton components etc.

so ideas...

cheers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

user-created
    Alot of sus designs don't translate well into smaller sizes.

I wouldn't ordinarly sugest a Titus (or even wanna touch one with a 10' tandem cable) but the Loco-moto is available in XXS, and since it's a single pivot, the rear end is unchanged.

Santa Cruz Juliana is another excellent choice, although the pivot location on a Loco makes it ride like a faux-bar, which is good.

I wouldn't sweat durability too much for a 100# rider.

Yo Paseo El Scream
    money is no object...her parents are millionares and will only buy her the best...
    hahahaha, well if money is no object then here is what i would say...
    If she got into the dh/fr i don't think that the blur 4x would come out to be very good, but since she would jump alot, the jackal seems ok, but i would go with a new big hit grom or spec, depending on how small she actually is, a 2004 p3, or a banshee scirocco with some beefy but light components.
    Thats just my .02 but it all really depends on what she'll like since money is no object
    muahahah... sorry
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    seriously...

money is no object and this thing will probably be specced with the best dam stuff around...im starting to realise that the sizing isnt that crash on...so im looking else but still considering...i dont think shll grow to much over the year as such tough...

Just Ride
    first off i hate these people with extremly nice bikes who cant ride. while im stuck with my POS. next you should build her something cool man. get her like a chamleon frame (lighter then a jackel) and build it up uber light and stuff. air psylo and stuff.

9 Lives Baby!

Same Thing...

My friend is 5'3" and about 117. Her first serious bike is a Heckler, size medium. She really likes it, and with the Progressive it can be just like a hardtail or cushier for when she starts drops.

Good luck, Happy New Year.
    Kat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You want bread? TWO DOLLARS!"

mtbr member
    ::grins:: Geez bj.....2000+ posts and you dont have anything in mind??? :P ... That 4x looks sweet.... Suspension is just way more comfortable in general that's were I'd be pointing her to... Isnt there a LBS she can go to to have them custom fit some ride??? I wish I was in her postion

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I would check out the cannondale prophet 4cross its 24 pounds and has 6inches of travel front and rear

Xtremely Moderate
    Hmmm.

Money is no object.

Maybe she should get an xtra small Knolly V-Tach.

Then we can rip on you that your girlie friend has a more smokin bike than your beloved Demo 9.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by eio
    Hmmm.

Money is no object.

Maybe she should get an xtra small Knolly V-Tach.

Then we can rip on you that your girlie friend has a more smokin bike than your beloved Demo 9.
    (laughing)

im going to look into the prohphet...

but im not really thinking FS bikes anymore....ive spoke to her and i reckon seems as shes only getting inot the sport and jumping really appeals to her...im thinking a mad as HT will be the best bet...just built up really light but at the same time tough enough to hit the trails with me every now and then...

thinking still the Jackal with a Fox 36...so that way for jumping she can lower the travel but then when she hits the trails she can up it to have a slacker head angle...

but im thinking tubeless tyres a must...

kat do you think a little girl like her could fit on a Jackal...

heres the geometry...http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/bic...ckal.php...the very low stand over height appeals to me as well as the short stays...

mtbr member
    money is no object eh? why don't you marry her i mean all the fricken money you can inherrit ect. JK about that. I would recomend a specialized enduro SX not the SX Trail, cause the Trail is more heavy duty. The regualr SX is nice, light, made for 4by and SX and can do dirtjumping. A lot of people know that i want an SX TRail, but that bikes is a bit heavier and ment to be ridden hard. An Enduro SX will do her fine, since she is 100 pounds only she will have no problem going big on that bike.

Former Noob Herder
    seriously...

money is no object and this thing will probably be specced with the best dam stuff around...im starting to realise that the sizing isnt that crash on...so im looking else but still considering...i dont think shll grow to much over the year as such tough...
    in that case i can design and build a custom frame for her. I will require a 10K deposit tho....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr member
    Also to add, manybe you can get a frame and build the bike up yourself and maybe earn some money for yourself. How old is she anyways?

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    money is no object eh? why don't you marry her i mean all the fricken money you can inherrit ect. JK about that. I would recomend a specialized enduro SX not the SX Trail, cause the Trail is more heavy duty. The regualr SX is nice, light, made for 4by and SX and can do dirtjumping. A lot of people know that i want an SX TRail, but that bikes is a bit heavier and ment to be ridden hard. An Enduro SX will do her fine, since she is 100 pounds only she will have no problem going big on that bike
    i think thats a bit to much bike for a beginner...and a little girl...how the hell is she supposed to lift and huck that thing around...im looking at bikes that weigh 30' lbs...34' lbs max...

im also thinking dual 24"s...

Former Noob Herder
    FTW makes a custom miniature version of the ProjectX frame.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    FTW makes a custom miniature version of the ProjectX frame.
    and im going to do that how...

(theres so many people viewing this thread...please post you opinions guys i really want to hear alot before i make decisions...i want to get this right...and im doing this for the simple joy of getting a chick into the sport... teaching her to ride etc and being there when she first starts jumping and gogin huge will be enough for me...im goign to enjoy this so no im not interested in money...oh and plus ill get to ride the bike to... )
    Last edited by BJ-; 12-27-2004 at 09:04 PM.

Former Noob Herder
    and im going to do that how...
    say wha? do you have a response that makes sense?

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    say wha? do you have a response that makes sense?
    i thought u meant make a custom minature version...ill read it properly next time...the pain im experiencing right now is effecting my vision...

user-created
    (theres so many people viewing this thread...please post you opinions guys i really want to hear alot before i make decisions...i want to get this right...and im doing this for the simple joy of getting a chick into the sport... teaching her to ride etc and being there when she first starts jumping and gogin huge will be enough for me...im goign to enjoy this so no im not interested in money...oh and plus ill get to ride the bike to... )
    OK, first stop looking for the bike YOU want and find a bike for a beginner. That means a comfy bike, that means FS.

If you insist on a jumping bike (even though she prolly won't be jumping any time soon) at least get a steel HT so it won't beat the crap out of her on real trails.

A SC Juliana with a Sherman would be perfect.

mtbr member
    http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...miphwwd.j27006
    seems like a cool bike for her purpose, but not for her. she needs to build skill for it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    OK, first stop looking for the bike YOU want and find a bike for a beginner. That means a comfy bike, that means FS.

If you insist on a jumping bike (even though she prolly won't be jumping any time soon) at least get a steel HT so it won't beat the crap out of her on real trails.

steel is heavy

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You mite wanna check out the new planet X split tails there light and stron. i know a guy who has 1 down to aobut 22 pounds

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by the montashu
    You mite wanna check out the new planet X split tails there light and stron. i know a guy who has 1 down to aobut 22 pounds
    cheers...

but singletrack wouldnt you agree any beginner should really start on a HT for building up basis skills and learning to ride...and the fact she really wants to get into jumping just adds to the incentive to get her a HT...i could easily build up an amazing Blur 4x or something similar but thats going to cost alot of money...and as much as id like to build up such an awesome bike i dont want her to spend to much money on a beginners bike and things she doesnt need...i dont mind buildin up a great HT around 4500aus but anything over 5000aus is going a bit to far and a Blur 4x set up nice and light at around 29lbs is 7500aus...and thats alot of money...

shes also very vain and loves the look of the Jackal...

Trials Superstar
    Quote Originally Posted by themontashu
    steel is heavy, im a gene-y-ass
    ... ...
    Please purchase products from JensonUSA your #1 Internet Dealer for MTB parts!

AS SEEN ON THE X-GAMES and GRAVITY GAMES! How would you like to go 80 MPH on a bike 4 inches from the ground? Well you can learn how at GravityBike.com the home for BMX Speed Machines!

2004-2005 Sponsors
    Maxxis Tires
    Targert Sponsor
    Azonic
    Hayes

mtbr member
    Trail SX is an awesome bike. Even the slalom version is climbable. If her weight is on the low end this bike will rock it. If you get a 6" fork with adjustable travel this will be a good run. I don't think you should get the hardtail, maybe the more experienced can follow you on your demo 9 downhill on a hard tail. But a little forgiveness in the suspension can keep em from giving up and walking down. I've never ridden the blur 4x but I think I like the SX better.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    Trail SX is an awesome bike. Even the slalom version is climbable. If her weight is on the low end this bike will rock it. If you get a 6" fork with adjustable travel this will be a good run. I don't think you should get the hardtail, maybe the more experienced can follow you on your demo 9 downhill on a hard tail. But a little forgiveness in the suspension can keep em from giving up and walking down. I've never ridden the blur 4x but I think I like the SX better.
    ill go and take a look then...

ive seen the new SXs in shops etc...and there very nice bikes im just scared to death the bike will be to heavy for her...being a little big but not to heavy is acceptable seems as shes rather small...i just dont want it to be a little to big and a little to heavy...

i probably wouldnt take her DH anytime soon anyways...just keep to DJ on her huge farm...
    Last edited by BJ-; 12-27-2004 at 10:06 PM.

mtbr member
    How much does she weigh?

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    How much does she weigh?
    around 100' - 105' lbs...

she is little...which is why a low stand over height bike like the Jackal seemed like a good idea...plus its a Santa Cruz and her dad only wants the best for his little girl...

mtbr member

Go light

Being she weighs so little, I would look at cross country or at the most all mountain frames and components. These would be more than strong enough for someone of her size to DH/FR with and have no realiabilty issues. Throw a longer fork on XC frame if you want a more upright laid back position. Anything else will be overkill any too heavy for her to control.

mtbr member
    If you are trying to find a light bike you can huck then I say get the Trail SX or the blur 4x I think as far as bikes that can be considered light downhill/FR these are as light as they will come. Frame weight from the blur to the SX is about the same

Just get her to test some bikes out to see what she can take

mtbr member
    TAKE A LOOK AT THE SX NO THE SX TRAIL, THE ONE IN RED AND BLACK. it's smaller, lighter and lower than the SX TRAIL.. the other enduros are not for here. the SX has the frame but 4.2 inches of travel in the rear, 5 in the front, and it should wiegh in at about 18-31 pounds. never picked one up, but they are light. THE SX TRAIL is too much bike for a beginner. How old is this girl btw. Just wondering if you wanted to know, cause younger childeren about 12 shouldn't get a 3000 dollar bike or 5000 ASD
    here is the specs and info on the enduro SX, not the SX TRail.
    Technical Specifications
    FRAME All-new A1 Premium Aluminum low center of gravity SX Trail FSR frame, ORE technology DT and TT, forged HT, pierced seat tube, sealed cartridge bearings, ISCG mount, two forward shock mounts for geometry adjustment, replaceable derailleur hanger, derailleur guard, 4.2"/107mm travel
    REAR SHOCK Custom Progressive 5th Element Air, CV-T position sensitive damping, adjustable CV-T air pressure for pedal platform and progresivity, adjustable rebound, 7.5x1.75
    FORK Fox Float 36 R TALAS, 100-150mm external adjustable travel, linear air spring, rebound adjust, position sensitive, adjustable initial, mid and ending damping, alloy steerer, 20mm thru-axle
    HEADSET Cr-Mo, 1 1/8 threadless, all alloy and steel construction, loose ball bearing with seals
    STEM Syncros BearHug HD, 4-bolt 31.8mm clamp
    HANDLEBARS Specialized Enduro Mid Rise 31.8 OS bar, 2014 alloy, 6 degree upsweep, 8 degree backsweep, 640mm width
    TAPE / GRIPS Specialized MTB grip, black, double density Kraton
    FRONT BRAKE Hayes HFX Mag full hydraulic disc, 6 rotor
    REAR BRAKE Hayes HFX Mag full hydraulic disc, 6 rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS Hayes HFX Mag full hydraulic disc
    FRONT DERAILLEUR None
    REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano M-750 XT, short cage
    SHIFT LEVERS Shimano M-570 LX
    CASSETTE Shimano HG-50 LX, 9-speed, 12x25t
    CHAIN Shimano HG-73
    CRANKSET Truvativ Holzfeller 7050 ISIS spline, 7050 alloy, 170mm
    CHAINRINGS 36t ring. BlackSpire NS-1 guide with C4 Lexan bash guard
    BOTTOM BRACKET Truvativ ISIS GigaPipe DHLT, 73mm shell width, 118mm spindle length
    PEDALS Lo-Pro Magnesium platform, Removable pins, oversize Cr-Mo axle
    RIMS Custom SUN SOS 28mm wide Enduro disc rims, 26, black, welded seam, eyelets
    FRONT HUB Specialized Stout disc, 36-hole, cartridge bearings, 20mm alloy thru-axle
    REAR HUB Specialized Stout 36h, bolt-on axle
    SPOKES DT Swiss, 2.0mm (14g) stainless, black, brass nipples
    FRONT TIRE Specialized Adrenialine Pro 26 x 2.1 dual compound, aramid bead
    REAR TIRE Specialized Adrenialine Pro 26 x 2.1 dual compound, aramid bead
    TUBES Specialized presta valve
    SADDLE Specialized Enduro, hollow Cr-Mo rails
    SEAT POST Syncros Derived 2-bolt, 30.9 x 330mm
    SEAT BINDER Alloy collar with Q/R, 34.9mm clamp I.D., black
    also to let you know that is a good bike to start out with. small travel, light, strong, and easy/good handling.

mtbr member
    The SX is for slalom (4x) it has single chanring chainguide and no front derailuer equiped. If you are racing slalom, sure, but if you want all around you need to get the Trail SX which reminds me I don't think SC sells the blur 4x with climb gears.

mtbr member
    I say Foes FXR 4x
    Zoke All Mountain 1
    24" Rhino Lites with 2.4 Panaracers
    Hayes Mags 6"
    Thompson
    Pro Tapers

She could do everything with this bike.

Xtremely Moderate

I agree. That chics little pooter is gonna get all sore on a HT and that'll be the end of it.
    Go w/ a shorter travel FS bike for starters and if she's still into it later on, then get the V-Tach .
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    we had another chat...

and shes decided on this...

im looking at a very similar build (give or take the stem and rims) so im getting in touch with Intense and shops etc to see when i can get one for her and how much daddy will have to pay...so soon enough something should be final...

if this follows through which im confident it will then all look forward to seeing the porn...im definatly looking forward to building it...

(they come in XS which is super...and it should be black not red...unforunatly)

mtbr member
    Man, I was lazy to read every post, but I think nobody mentioned it: no doubt that she wants a Nicolai 2BMXTB!!!!! Of course in Tankgirl Camou!!! Seriously man, It would be awesome.

Coldfire
    LIVE FREE
    BE BRAVE
    RIDE HARD

mtbr member
    sorry, the pics
    LIVE FREE
    BE BRAVE
    RIDE HARD

mtbr member
    that intense is a pretty sick bike. About the SX Trail, that is too much for a beginner. you can always just get the SX frame and build it up for her. but the Intense one looks sick. Both of the bikes are nice, so is the foes. Hope she has fun with the new bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    we had another chat...

im looking at a very similar build (give or take the stem and rims) so im getting in touch with Intense and shops etc to see when i can get one for her and how much daddy will have to pay...so soon enough something should be final...

if this follows through which im confident it will then all look forward to seeing the porn...im definatly looking forward to building it...

I would go like the truvativ XC cranks and XTR drive train to save weight

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    How about the Yeti 4X? or DJ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You should check out a Turner Rail. The Yeti DJ would be super sick but they were limited production '04 only, and have been gone for a while.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

I wanna talk to Samson!
    we had another chat...

thats the exact bikey i want

thats really cool your getting a chick into riding.

abolisher of A$$holes
    If she doesn't already...tell her to start doing at least some push ups now...cuz most girls are pretty weak up top...and as you all know...upper body strength is pretty important when it comes to riding...especially DH/FR and also pumping when it comes to DJing...Good luck to you both...
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions --but I don't always agree with them.
    George Bush, US President

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    If she doesn't already...tell her to start doing at least some push ups now...cuz most girls are pretty weak up top...and as you all know...upper body strength is pretty important when it comes to riding...especially DH/FR and also pumping when it comes to DJing...Good luck to you both...
    push ups dont really work out the biceps which are the more important muscles in fr/dj, do some chin ups/pull ups or dumbell curls

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikity China
    push ups dont really work out the biceps which are the more important muscles in fr/dj, do some chin ups/pull ups or dumbell curls
    They do get your triceps and pecs though, which are both used quite often, aka every single impact your front wheel has to deal with. I don't know that I'd just curls over push-ups for racing/riding DH if I were going to pick one thing to do every morning.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

Shortcutting Hikabiker

ride hard
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    I would recomend a specialized enduro SX not the SX Trail
    haha, thats just because there only making a few hundred, and you wanna be sure you get one. just kidding. i think that an evil imperial would be a good hartail, its burly as hell, has a 13.5 seatstay, which is like a xs, and if im not mistaken, i weighs 6 pounds. or, if you are looking for a short travel fully like that intense, another option would be, as freerider said, the sx, or a transition bikes preston. i think that transition bikes are great, and while they arent the most expensive, they look like they know what there talking about. also, from what ive heard, the transition bikes are bikes that are fun to ride, and not the hardcore race bred machines, which would suit her needs better.
    Live to Ride, Ride to live

abolisher of A$$holes
    ummm...I think downhilling is simulated more so in a push up rather than a curl (just think of the way you hold the handlebars)...not saying doing curls wouldn't help a ton either...but if she doesn't already lift...it's easier to get someone to do a few push ups rather than go to a gym or buy some dumb bells and do some curls...it's mostly just a suggestion for a quick remedy to build some upper strength the easy and conventional way...also I feel I need the most strength on the landing of a drop rather than the pull up/preload of the take off...hence the push ups rather than the curls...(although I do both)

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat10
    My friend is 5'3" and about 117. Her first serious bike is a Heckler, size medium. She really likes it, and with the Progressive it can be just like a hardtail or cushier for when she starts drops.

Kat
    Heckler is a great choice remember her big bike should not weigh more than 40 lbs....that is 40% of her body weight while my bike is only 20% of my body weight.

She is not as strong keep the weight down.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

the man with 7 egos
    you could setup a banshee morphine for jumping or a hardtail freeride/urban. That's what I'd do in your situation.
    gravity isn't a law... it's more like a guidline

"Pain is just natures way of telling you your in excrusiating agony..."-Johny Bravo's Dentist

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat10

Kat
    5'3" and a medium anything strikes me as a bad idea when it comes to full suspension bike. That's just asking for trouble between fun bits and toptube (and I've ridden with enough girls to know they complain about *****-impacts just as much as guys whine about sacking themselves). FS bikes have higher BB heights and larger standover heights for a given frame size than hardtails, and most of the 5'3" women I know (and its several who mountain bike) are on 13-15" size hardtails. On an FS it'd be something even smaller in frame size.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dairy_dude
    you could setup a banshee morphine for jumping or a hardtail freeride/urban. That's what I'd do in your situation.
    im ganna refrain from flaming but morphined are ass heave and not good for a 100 poind rider

mtbr member
    Hahahhaha an 18lb Spec. SX Enduro.....good luck with that.

The Yeti 4x was sweet, but at James said was in limited production....and the DJ's a hardtail. The Intense looks very good, but I dont see why she would want such a bike when she might just ditch the sport anyway.

Id have to say that Intense Tazer, SRAM parts, Hope Mini's or Maguras, and some CF parts. As for the fork a Manitou Black super? Pretty light weight, not very tall, plush, inexpensive, pretty durable....
    ......I still cant get over that Specialized fanboy, wow......

That Turner Rail is nice too
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    freeriding ain't safe. sooner or later you will hurt or kill yourself.yer spokes aint' gonna make any difference less'n you get yer johnson caught in them

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    go with a talas 125

650 yay area
    That Intense is a good bet... but definitly get her some light ass rims/cranks. You can save a bunch of weight, and there is almost no way you are gonna have durability issues with a 100 pound beginner rider. Maybe the new XT cranks with... who knows for wheels.

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ummm...I think downhilling is simulated more so in a push up rather than a curl (just think of the way you hold the handlebars)...not saying doing curls wouldn't help a ton either...but if she doesn't already lift...it's easier to get someone to do a few push ups rather than go to a gym or buy some dumb bells and do some curls...it's mostly just a suggestion for a quick remedy to build some upper strength the easy and conventional way...also I feel I need the most strength on the landing of a drop rather than the pull up/preload of the take off...hence the push ups rather than the curls...(although I do both)
    push ups are good for triceps which are for pushing, i cant imagine a scenario where someone pushes down on the handle bar on a dh course or when free riding (unless it's prelaoding of course, but that hardly takes up energy), just cuz the shape of the rider looks like he/she is in pushup position, dont mean that their working the push up muscles

when fr or dhing, its more likely to pull up than push down

and how would u need the most strength on the landing of a drop? to push your front down? just let gravity do that

btw sry for hijacking this thread
    Last edited by Chikity China; 12-30-2004 at 02:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    if she is a begginer she will need a nice easy granny ring dont forget that . Get her the marz all mountain sl 130-150mm travel

light and strong enough for her and its air you will need an air fork/shock to tune for her weight easily

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    push ups are good for triceps which are for pushing, i cant imagine a scenario where someone pushes down on the handle bar on a dh course or when free riding (unless it's prelaoding of course, but that hardly takes up energy), just cuz the shape of the rider looks like he/she is in pushup position, dont mean that their working the push up muscles

and how would u need the most strength on the landing of a drop? to push your front down? just let gravity do that

Actually you look push down on the bars alot if you want to analyze it from a biomechanics prespective. Push ups mainly work the extension of the arms use use alot of triceps, but you also use your pecs and some delts.

While activily you pull on the bars alot say a drop or manual, your really not lift alot of weight and it doesn't require alot of force, however if you look at it from a force perspective when you hit things, rocks, waterbars, some drops you get pushed towards the or the ground depending on the angle, this is were that and object in motion wants to stay in motions. The force gets directed at you, you flex your arms to absorb it, to keeps you from fly off or hitting the bars you apply counter force(arm extension) thus using your triceps.

Like i said before if you have a gym and can get everything that is great, if you don't or don't have the time. Push-ups, situp, and back extensions don't take alot of time, and can help out out a bunch. A great thing to get is one of those balls, they have a bunch of different names, but they can give ya a nice workout with little equipement.

Uhhhhh...
    BJ- Post some pics. Oh, and good choice on the bike.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

abolisher of A$$holes

since you like to continually argue with the fact the push ups are good for DH/FR...then I'll continue to try and make you understand the importance of push ups...yeah, you may have to pull up to go over rocks, logs, etc...but if you're riding primarily downhill then the majority of the time you're using your shoulders and triceps and even some pecs to keep your body in the correct position...mostly for the jarring effect of riding over uneven terrain quickly...if you're riding fast enough you don't have to pull up over much of anything...your speed should carry you through it...

as far as the landing of a drop...not really sure what size drops you do..but when I hit a fairly large to large drop...I suppose most of the muscle I use is leg muscle...but as far as making sure I don't hit my face on my handle bars...then I rely on the strength of primarily my triceps and shoulders...and I suppose biceps as well...

so all in all kids...doing curls will build your biceps...but a push up will build your pecs, shoulders, back and triceps...guess I'd rather do pushups that build quite a few muscles as opposed to a curl which basically works on one...

*I may add that I am not a trainer or one with vast knowledge of lifting...but I do know what works for me and what muscles I count on most when I ride...enjoy your curls my friend...

edit: and the whole point of getting her to at least do push ups was to build some upper body strength without entering a gym or buying weights.. so she could at least enjoy it a little more than being totally weak...It's not like I was trying to say that's the only muscle building a person needed for riding...
    and btw china...instead of arguing about not doing pushups...couldn't you have just suggested she do curls as well instead of trying to rip on someone's suggestion...
    Last edited by irieness; 12-30-2004 at 03:54 PM.

north bush biker

i would sugest

i would sugest doing some crunch's or sit ups as well.... a lot of your strengh comes form your core. ie abs, back mucels and such.
    RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST

aka Jesse Palmer
    Alot of sus designs don't translate well into smaller sizes.

I wouldn't ordinarly sugest a Titus (or even wanna touch one with a 10' tandem cable) but the Loco-moto is available in XXS, and since it's a single pivot, the rear end is unchanged.

Santa Cruz Juliana is another excellent choice, although the pivot location on a Loco makes it ride like a faux-bar, which is good.

I wouldn't sweat durability too much for a 100# rider.
    You would be surprised... I am only 110lbs but i managed to bend the rear triangle of my specialized enduro enough to cause it to kill the shock. The biggest drop I ever did on that stupid thing was like 3'

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by jp3d
    You would be surprised... I am only 110lbs but i managed to bend the rear triangle of my specialized enduro enough to cause it to kill the shock. The biggest drop I ever did on that stupid thing was like 3'
    DIE...you and this old thread...

(i appriciate the infomation but next time send a PM or something dude)

Kill that $hit!

New question here. Nobody mentioned Norco

Norco has a VPS SIX (xs) that has a very low stand over height. I got the chance to ride around on one and it felt great. If she wants to do the HT thing, I highly recomend a SM Banshee Morphine. Tuff as hell and w/ the right fork, a great all around bike too. I ride mine w/ a DC Slider 6" and it'll pound over anything I throw at it. FYI, I'm 5'2" so I've tried quite a few smaller bikes.