Deciding to pull the trigger(Faith 1 vs Gran Mal)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Deciding to pull the trigger(Faith 1 vs Gran Mal)

Ok, so as some of my other posts show, I'm debating over a new ride. Which one's? Well that depends on the deal mainly. I'm looking at these two primarily as they are about the same cost.

1. Giant Faith 1 2006

2. Transition Gran Mal
    setup almost identically.

Either route I'd have setup so that I can use it as a freeride bike, as I have to earn my desert. Parts are almost identical across the board, and price is about the same but I just can't decide. I've heard alot of good things about the Faith's, not to fond of the look of the frame with that butt ass ugly raw gloss bling finish but the reviews are insainly good. On the other side of the coin, the Gran Mal is just bad @ss looking, and I know it would be a solid rig as I had a Dirtbag that was killa'. But it's first year production, and I'm thinking it might be a bit overkill for freeriding.

Does anyone have the new 2006 Faith 1 with pictures yet??? The website pictures are always lame as usual, I'd like to see some real pictures of the bike.

not really a noob
    grand mal is cooler
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    bottle rocket

Florida Rider
    gran mal for sure, the faith is damn ugly

mtbr member
    i think the gran mal would defineltly be overkill, i have to earn my decent to and i would not have as much fun on the gran mal, i would pic the faith
    Pinn'it Ya Fairy!
    -unknown genius

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Gran Mal. Transition won't put something out unless it's all good. Their rep rides on every bike, unlike a mass produced Giant. As far as overkill for freeriding check out the vids on their site of the Gran Mal, it's pretty much all freeriding. It ain't gonna be no XC bike going up, but if your looking at bikes like that you know this, just think which one will be more fun down!

mtbr member
    giant sucks. never liked the way the vpp-esque giants ride.....either go full bore VPP or stay single pivot...

the transition is damned hot. almost as hot as a morewood.

kona-tize me captain
    transistion gran mal no doubt
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Giant STP 06
    Most of what I have heard already in this thread about the Faith is bull****. Haha, sorry, I'm about to complain a lot. Choosing a bike on looks? I think the Faith is damned hot, if you saw one in person you'd probably agree. Mass produced Faith...Giant can only put them out at higher quantities because of the number of factories and all that. No quality is sacrificed at all. Giant sucks? Yeah, okay. There's a smart, backed-up statement. Don't say so simple, farfetched statements that don't help at all.

No, I'm not saying all of this just because I own a Faith. I agree the gloss doesnt look too great, whatever. Either one would be a really good choice, just don't take what people have already said seriously. I doubt anyone has ridden both, let alone one of them. Test-ride both if you can, and see what would better suit what you do.

mtbr member
    Faith. Flip the link and your geometry is wayyyy better than the Transition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Faith. Flip the link and your geometry is wayyyy better than the Transition.
    The grand mal has adjustable geometry bro...not to mention the tons of different sizes of shocks you can run on it!! and another not to mention: the customer service of transition is unrivaled!
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

mtbr member
    i would choose the gran mal because of the different options you can get with it, and for the transition CS. the faith does look solid though, couldn't go wrong with either, giant does not suck, every one of their frames i have ridden is solid

Glad to Be Alive
    wher's mr Giant supporter....Roaming Oregon
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    go for the grand mal, transitions are fukcing sexxy, i'm gonna get a dirtbag myself. we had a faith in the shop the other day, i rode it around and i thought it felt like a pile of crap alot of the reviews seem overhyped and too good after riding it. i thought it sucked

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    wher's mr Giant supporter....Roaming Oregon
    I'm reading and laughing

I don't know much about the Gran Mal.

The Faith is a solid bike.

Any one that really knows Giant and reads the biased hate will just laugh and discount the negative comments...

Any regular on this board is familiar with my riding and style...

I don't bad mouth other brands, and I won't scream from the pulpit that Giant is the only way.

Do a search on me if you want photos of the Faith in action. Ask WCH, or SMT what the Faith will take. Wait a week or two and get Swoop's impression (his should be rolling by then.)

I hope Transition is around for a long time- seems those guys have some passion.

So does Giant, and they have many years of history with no signs of slowing down.

clyde in training
    Gran Mal is sweet.

Hisforever

Faith VS. Gran Mal???????????????????
    Attached Images Attached Images

Moxie HT
    Orbea Rallon (fo sale)
    sb 130/150
    Evil Undead/Calling
    Yz 250x

mtbr member
    I was hoping to get more objective opinions, not just Cosmetic liking’s… Yes the faith frame looks funky, but as someone said above, if you see one in person they look a lot better than the lame Photoshop picture that giant displays. Also, for the guy who posted the giant faith 3 vs the Gran Mal top of the line, your obscuring the perception. The only difference between these two bikes that I’d be ordering, is the frame itself. Everything else is going to be identical per my build. I didn’t want this post to turn into “whose is better” post, I was hoping to get some objective non- bias opinionated posts. I was also hoping someone out there a midst our worldly online community would post up a pic of their 2006 Faith 1 rig. Have you guys seen the black one you can only get overseas, that thing looks dope.

As far as quality, just do your research on Giant, seems they make most of the frame out there that are tagged under a different disguise. I’ve had an AC, and a Giant DH, both bikes were great for their time.

As far as Transition, hands down they have the best CS around. I give those guys MAD Props! Their rigs are solid as well. I had a transition DB, and loved it.

Let’s see some shots, and intelligent breakdowns of why you might like one over the other.

Thanks to those who did post something worth considering.

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Reamer
    I was hoping to get more objective opinions, not just Cosmetic liking’s… Yes the faith frame looks funky, but as someone said above, if you see one in person they look a lot better than the lame Photoshop picture that giant displays. Also, for the guy who posted the giant faith 3 vs the Gran Mal top of the line, your obscuring the perception. The only difference between these two bikes that I’d be ordering, is the frame itself. Everything else is going to be identical per my build. I didn’t want this post to turn into “whose is better” post, I was hoping to get some objective non- bias opinionated posts. I was also hoping someone out there a midst our worldly online community would post up a pic of their 2006 Faith 1 rig. Have you guys seen the black one you can only get overseas, that thing looks dope.

As far as quality, just do your research on Giant, seems they make most of the frame out there that are tagged under a different disguise. I’ve had an AC, and a Giant DH, both bikes were great for their time.

As far as Transition, hands down they have the best CS around. I give those guys MAD Props! Their rigs are solid as well. I had a transition DB, and loved it.

Let’s see some shots, and intelligent breakdowns of why you might like one over the other.

Thanks to those who did post something worth considering.
    It's really quite simple. Maestro vs. Single pivot. Full length seat tube vs. int seat tube. In my eyes neither bike is really a ride up the mountain, bomb down bike. I'd look at a Iron Horse 7Point series bike for that.
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Just roll it......

Not sure exactly what you're looking for here.

Reamer,

I'm not gonna get into a "giant sux" discussion. Personally, I'd be happy to have a Faith. I think either bike is going to handle whatever you can throw at it. I've got 3 buddies with the Faith (two with 888 and lowrider crowns and 1 with a 66rc) and those things handle beautifully, pedal well and certainly can handle the big stuff.

Whether or not these bikes will climb to the top of something is up to how you have it set up and what kind of shape you're in. On the Faith, I'd get a Titec telescoping seatpost to ensure I could raise / lower the saddle enough for riding it properly. Full seat extension is really important to me and the rides we tend to do.

I did a XC ride on my Gran Mal the other week that involved ~2k feet of climbing (all on fireroad) with fast singletrack descents. Not a big bike worthy ride, for sure, but it was fun nonetheless. I just dropped it in granny (22T front / 34T rear), cranked up the propedal, raised the saddle and spun away. I was beat after the ride, but that's how it goes. We're doing a post-work ride tonight that is a solid hour of climbing to get to the goods and when I ride in BC, it often involves big climbs.....if you've got the lungs and legs, then either of these bikes will get you to the top.

Whether the Maestro suspension or the faux bar is going to pedal or descend better probably depends more on the rider than the bikes......at least, in my experience it does. My Gran mal absolutely rips descents. I haven't had it at Whistler yet to feel what it'll be like on the brake bumps on Dirt Merchant or A-line, but the stuff I've done on the Shore and near my house leads me to believe this thing is gonna be an animal up there. Needless to say, the bike shreds and really instills a ton of confidence....I've taken a few lines waaaaaay too hot because the bike just eats shite up. Nuff said.

I like the adjustability options on the Gran Mal and the ability to run different shock lengths. Granted, I haven't really messed with those settings yet, it's good to have the option to change the angles or adjust the travel or run a different shock.

I have to admit I do take solace knowing that Kevin and Kyle rip on the bikes that they design and sell. There's no way I'll push my bike as hard as those guys and they know what will work or won't long before you or I will. As for CS. I've got to say that it's nice to call up Transition and get Kyle or Kevin answering the phone and taking care of ya. My gal has a Dirtbag and I've got the Gran Mal and they've been stellar taking care of us when we need anything or just answering a question. Now, it's worth noting that those guys are my bro's and I ride with them on occasion so you'd expect that level of service for me. The thing is that these guys treat everyone the same and are really some of the nicest, most humble dudes out there and the responses from other owners echoes my sentiments.

Now, don't take that as me bagging on Giant.....it's just a reality that they're a much bigger company and you usually have to deal with them through your local dealer, etc. They have been really good with warranty issues from what I've seen on buddies' bikes, so I don't think I'd be worried about that.

The question is. All things being equal (build, components, shock/form, etc), what's most important to you?

Cheers,
    EBX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Reamer,

I'm not gonna get into a "giant sux" discussion. Personally, I'd be happy to have a Faith. I think either bike is going to handle whatever you can throw at it. I've got 3 buddies with the Faith (two with 888 and lowrider crowns and 1 with a 66rc) and those things handle beautifully, pedal well and certainly can handle the big stuff.

Whether or not these bikes will climb to the top of something is up to how you have it set up and what kind of shape you're in. On the Faith, I'd get a Titec telescoping seatpost to ensure I could raise / lower the saddle enough for riding it properly. Full seat extension is really important to me and the rides we tend to do.

I did a XC ride on my Gran Mal the other week that involved ~2k feet of climbing (all on fireroad) with fast singletrack descents. Not a big bike worthy ride, for sure, but it was fun nonetheless. I just dropped it in granny (22T front / 34T rear), cranked up the propedal, raised the saddle and spun away. I was beat after the ride, but that's how it goes. We're doing a post-work ride tonight that is a solid hour of climbing to get to the goods and when I ride in BC, it often involves big climbs.....if you've got the lungs and legs, then either of these bikes will get you to the top.

Whether the Maestro suspension or the faux bar is going to pedal or descend better probably depends more on the rider than the bikes......at least, in my experience it does. My Gran mal absolutely rips descents. I haven't had it at Whistler yet to feel what it'll be like on the brake bumps on Dirt Merchant or A-line, but the stuff I've done on the Shore and near my house leads me to believe this thing is gonna be an animal up there. Needless to say, the bike shreds and really instills a ton of confidence....I've taken a few lines waaaaaay too hot because the bike just eats shite up. Nuff said.

I like the adjustability options on the Gran Mal and the ability to run different shock lengths. Granted, I haven't really messed with those settings yet, it's good to have the option to change the angles or adjust the travel or run a different shock.

I have to admit I do take solace knowing that Kevin and Kyle rip on the bikes that they design and sell. There's no way I'll push my bike as hard as those guys and they know what will work or won't long before you or I will. As for CS. I've got to say that it's nice to call up Transition and get Kyle or Kevin answering the phone and taking care of ya. My gal has a Dirtbag and I've got the Gran Mal and they've been stellar taking care of us when we need anything or just answering a question. Now, it's worth noting that those guys are my bro's and I ride with them on occasion so you'd expect that level of service for me. The thing is that these guys treat everyone the same and are really some of the nicest, most humble dudes out there and the responses from other owners echoes my sentiments.

Now, don't take that as me bagging on Giant.....it's just a reality that they're a much bigger company and you usually have to deal with them through your local dealer, etc. They have been really good with warranty issues from what I've seen on buddies' bikes, so I don't think I'd be worried about that.

The question is. All things being equal (build, components, shock/form, etc), what's most important to you?

Cheers,
    EBX
    EBX,

Thanks for taking the time to do that write up, it’s hard to find people who will actually take the time to break-it-on-down! I had a hard time making this decision, as I really like to support companies like Transition. But it came down to price this time, and I can just get the faith cheaper through a friend at this point. I’m going to rip the Faith, see how I like her. I had a Dirtbag in 2004, sick bike. I agree with everything you said about Kyle and Kevin, they rip, they are humble, and they build good bikes, werd up! All this being said, I’m saving for a bottle rocket, so I don’t feel to bad about not sending my DH business their way as I will be in about 2 months for a sick trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have a faith 2 and i am impressed with it's handling, feel and durability. The bike tracks confidently and devours what i throw at it. Admittedly, taking it uphill is a chore, but i imagine it would be the same for any bike not really designed to be taken up hills. The bike has a smart and well functioning set of components, I would recommend replacing the pedals. The faith does have a unique look, but that is what attracted me to it in the first place, in my opinion the aesthetics of a bike are secondary to its performance anyway.

IT is true that Giant is a large company, and usually you are forced to handle customer service issues through your LBS, however, i am of the opinion that in most cases it is preferable to deal with your LBS than it is to deal with a faceless corporation who does not know you at all. I know the guys at my LBS by name, andf i know if i have a problem they want to fix it for me. I trust them, and would rather them deal with giant if i have a problem, they might have more leeway getting things done than myself.

The gran mal is no doubt an equally capable bike, but Transition is a smaller compnay, and sometimes smaller companies are less organized and efficient, and do not always have the buying power of larger companies and therefore are unable to bring their product to the market at a price that competes with other manufacturers, in otherwords, sometimes buying from larger companies nets you more product for your dollar.

Either way, these are just some things to conisider, as i stated previously, the faith is an excellent bike, spot on ride capabilities and performance, you will not be disappointed with it. Good luck to you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    All I can comment on is my impression of the Faith. It is much better looking in person - for whatever that is worth. Rode one back to back with a different (albeit extremely well designed) single pivot bike and the Faith just felt wierd. It was very plush for the first part of any hit, then stiffened up momentarily, then got plush again. It was a small but noticeable "hitch" in the travel. It did not feel to me like the rear wheel was stuck down quite right. I do not know if this was due to setup, sticky bearings, or overall design, but it was enough for me to say I did not like it. Niether bike is going to be great to pedal, but a good platform shock should help even them up.

Personally, I 'd tend towards the Transition, expecting it to be a pig on anything like a climb.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

SMT Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Techfreak
    All I can comment on is my impression of the Faith. It is much better looking in person -
    thats true.

I found the faith very similar to the new demo 7 frame. I was unshure between a 2006 dirtbag and the faith. But then i found that transitions are same as a kona with 4 bar rocker. In the case of the gran mal is the same as a devinci wilson without the horst link! And brake jack will always be there...
    I u want pics of the faith i have been researching a lot about this bike and i have tons o them. The glossy paint won't scrach as easy like the ones in transitions.
    Faith is a Dh race proven (junior wold champ) and freeride proven (disorder 6, matt broks, kurt sorge)
    And i don't like the Top tube of the Gran mal i think it should be curved.
    The fact is that u can't go wrong with a giant faith.
    About transition I don't know, they just look like any 4 bar.

Bum Buzzer
    Specialized, Trek, Giant

3 brands I will never own.

All make some awesome bikes.

But..

I'll spend on bikes with passion, and avoid corporate infiltration (Ya its inevitable)

And enough with brake jack comments.. This is such an irrelevant issue...

I would say the transition is the better frame regardless. Why? lets just say the links come flipped from the factory.. see how thats digested.

SMT Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai
    Specialized, Trek, Giant

3 brands I will never own.

All make some awesome bikes.

But..

I'll spend on bikes with passion, and avoid corporate infiltration (Ya its inevitable)

And enough with brake jack comments.. This is such an irrelevant issue...

I would say the transition is the better frame regardless. Why? lets just say the links come flipped from the factory.. see how thats digested.
    In terms of design the Giant is better.

In terms of support the transition can't be beat.

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongiafer
    In terms of design the Giant is better.

In terms of support the transition can't be beat.
    I would not say the design is better, SOME would sat the Maestro is a better/more advanceed suspension design - I would disagree.

If an SP is good enough for Gracia and Minaar....

(They're sponsored... they could ride anything.... yap yap yap waaaaaah)

What is "corporate infiltration?" I can gaurantee that those that work for those three brands you mention have crazy passion for bikes, and the products that are developed.

As for sponsored riders riding anything they want... That is one of the biggest wives tails I've ever heard.

Some sponsored riders just want to be sponsored and ride whatever crap will be given to them so they can say they are sponsored.

Some riders are struggling to make ends meet and will sign contracts to get paid so they can ride, If the product works great- if not they keep replacing it.

Some sponsored riders (the top of the heap) are just looking for the biggest paycheck they can get because they know that a career in DH/DJ/Freeride is not real long.

Others pick and choose what gear they want, and if they get "sponsored" or a paycheck from the company then it's icing on the cake...

Any way many of the designs out there work good in many applications (sp, four bar, dual link etc)

Links "flipped" from the factory? That's some funny stuff. If it was designed to have the links "flipped it would have been put togethor that way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    granny mally

mtbr member

hmmm let me see here

get a stinKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    if not that then get a faith fo sure duder

SMT Supporter
    I would not say the design is better, SOME would sat the Maestro is a better/more advanceed suspension design - I would disagree.

If an SP is good enough for Gracia and Minaar....

yes, if a single pivot is enough... why make of it heavier four bar . 4 bar without horst link or vpp= useles. At least they could have put a floater in the gran mal....

for me the gran mal is like an azonic eliminator.

SMT Supporter
    And finally reamer gets a faith.
    faith won bioatches....

Members who have read this thread: 0