A day with Airwreck - Gargamel Style- Mtbr.com
    Just roll it......

A day with Airwreck - Gargamel Style

So, I've been hooking up with a ton of old and new friends this past week in Whistler. One of the bennies of being up here around Crankworx, I suppose, and we've been shredding the gnar. All good stuff.

Well, I hooked up with Airwreck for a great day of riding this morning. I swung by his condo to say hi on my way to coffee and he was building up his Highline. Jewels RFX was already built up and she was planning to hit the park later in the day and we'd see her when we got there. AW and I rolled over to my place and grabbed the doggies and rolled out to Cougar Mountain road and parked,

From there, we pushed and rode up with a couple of stops and ended up at the top of Gargamel in about an hour and a half. We padded up under a serious mosquito invasion and got the f*ck out of there. Yes, we "offed" a couple of times, but the bugs were serious and were even driving the dogs crazy as well. We headed down the trail and E got to check out the serious chunder on the trail first hand. FYI, there's still a few blowdowns further up the trail and if you bring a handsaw, you'd be able to cut out a few really fast.

It was a fun ride and Airwreck ripped it up on everything including the steep and gnarly sections. We both skipped the 2 big drops in the trail just to be reasonable. We headed to the park after we got back to town and got a run down Schleyer to Detroit Rock City to Heart of Darkness together and then he hooked up with Jewels for a quick ride. Sounds like Jewels will hook up with a few women (including my better half) tomorrow for some riding. Cool! From there, I did a few runs with Muttonchops and Steve and we got some runs in up top and those guys totally shredded the gnar.

Cheers,
    EB

A few pics:

1. AW on the climb up.
    2. AW on a steep ladder.
    3. Killer trail. Killer views.
    4. AW with a slow speed fall over at the very end of a steep descent. Thank goodness for that sapling!
    5. I came down that??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ebxtreme; 08-05-2007 at 11:52 PM.

Just roll it......
    more pics....

1. Top of a rock face.
    2. Further down the face.
    3. Coming down a sketchy scree face.
    4. Standing on top of the rock face.

Just roll it......
    Last pics

1. AW after the toughest part of this section.....the entrance to first rock.
    2. Heading down the berm.
    3. Ripping by me.
    4. All smiles.......

Fun day with ya, E!!

Cheers,
    EB
    Last edited by ebxtreme; 08-06-2007 at 12:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

ummmm.....

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I was up there with ya'all.

mtbr member
    beutiful,and so unfair.

trail fairy
    Sweet pix and cool riding EB & AW, envious of the riding up there and the stoke you guys are having together, enjoy

Ta
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Yay! Bikes !
    hell yea! Nice pics ebx!

damn if all these Whistler pics don't make you want to start packing. Keep 'em coming!

"Its All Good"
    EBX, Airwreck, sucks couldnt ride with you, was keen too..... Awesome looking terrain to boot... Great riding....

That Travis still holding up EB? (LOL)

Keep the pics coming.................
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Looks like a great ride, wish I had more time up there this year...

I bike long tyme.
    Sweet day of riding. Jealous.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    EBX, awesome pics as usual. You guys are having a blast up there. Those rock faces look awesome fun. Love the pic you took of AW coming down right at the top of the rock face.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    That trail looks like it goes down the whole time. I wonder what that's like?

JMH

Leash Law Enforcer
    Airwreck's already back there? I thought he was there a couple of weeks ago and went home. Although I've never been to Whistler, I can't say that I blame him. Heck, all these Whistler pics make me want to move there permanently!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Bootiful. I'll be up for a week at the end of August and that one's going in the hopper.

Nice Fotoeaux!
    Monkeyshines _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 2014 Trance, 2013 V10, 2000 Schwinn Homegrown

~~~~~~~~
    great photos! you captured some of the best sections.
    what a trail.
    thanks for taking me.

FM
    mtbr member
    You bastards. I wish I was still up there....oh well. drink a beer on GLC for me.

Glad you had a fun ride!

Just roll it......
    Thanks guys. Yeah, it was a total blast and I was glad that Airwreck was game for it on his first day in town after flying and driving all night. As he said after the ride "ummmm, where do I go from here?". E, great riding with you amigo. Hey, where's that pic you took?

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    That Travis still holding up EB? (LOL)
    Believe it or not, it is still running. I rode the Reign on Gargamel though as it's really a XC ride.

Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    That trail looks like it goes down the whole time.
    JMH, there's a fair bit of traversing sections and even a couple of ups on this trail. The descents go down in a hurry though as you can tell. We looped back to the car on Section 102 which is a left at the big pond at the end of Gargamel and that has a bunch of tech climbing on that section and some fun descents as well with a ton of rock on it.

Pinch, I think AW and Jewels have officially become Whistler junkies and made a short-notice trip and will be up here all week.

Last day up here today and we're heading home. I'm working 'til noonish and then riding the park in the afternoon with the gals/guys. Should have a big posse! 11 days flew by SO fast.

Cheers,
    EB
    Last edited by ebxtreme; 08-06-2007 at 10:18 AM.

Hisforever
    Gargamel! Stoked. Wish I was up there, missin out on this one for sure...

September? Trip #3?

mtbr member
    so is gargamel a whistler trail? Any advice on how to get to it? I am heading up there in a few weeks and def want to ride that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Farkin Cool

Glad to Be Alive
    EB when you guys leaving.......I will be up there riding Wednesday morning at Whistler
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    You bastards. I wish I was still up there....oh well. drink a beer on GLC for me.

Glad you had a fun ride!
    Yeah, drink one for me too. I'm going thru massive withdrawls today.

Say, those ladder rungs look a bit thick...what say you?

Taking it easy for all you sinners.

Yebo Numzaan
    Steve and I hooked up with EB and AW for some killer runs today...definitely sent EB off in style. I think he had a tear in his eye when he rode off into the distance. We mixed up some of the tech stuff at the top of the mtn (which is super dry now) with the jump lines. I think we ended every run to the bottom in the bone yard / biker cross....that sh1t is so fun. We all hit the small side of the step up gap thing (is there a name for it?) below the road gap (before teh 1/4 pipe.) That is so fun. It is a tough choice at the top of the bone yard to decide whether to hit that....or do the course.

We ended the day by hiking up and hitting the gap again and then going up and hitting the Kokanee box and watching EB pin it into the SRAM wall. I had crashed earlier in the day, by sliding down the wall and landing in the dust on my right shoulder....EB slid down twice and smashed his left shoulder into the wall...and then decided to give it horns...and went flying off the end into the grass on his third attempt. Attempt #2 got the most cheers from the lift...#3 was most spectacular. 100% for effort.

anyone have any tips on how to nail that sucker?

Rumors of rain tomorrow.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops
    Steve and I hooked up with EB and AW for some killer runs today...definitely sent EB off in style. I think he had a tear in his eye when he rode off into the distance. We mixed up some of the tech stuff at the top of the mtn (which is super dry now) with the jump lines. I think we ended every run to the bottom in the bone yard / biker cross....that sh1t is so fun. We all hit the small side of the step up gap thing (is there a name for it?) below the road gap (before teh 1/4 pipe.) That is so fun. It is a tough choice at the top of the bone yard to decide whether to hit that....or do the course.

We ended the day by hiking up and hitting the gap again and then going up and hitting the Kokanee box and watching EB pin it into the SRAM wall. I had crashed earlier in the day, by sliding down the wall and landing in the dust on my right shoulder....EB slid down twice and smashed his left shoulder into the wall...and then decided to give it horns...and went flying off the end into the grass on his third attempt. Attempt #2 got the most cheers from the lift...#3 was most spectacular. 100% for effort.

anyone have any tips on how to nail that sucker?

Rumors of rain tomorrow.
    Sweet sweet sweet.................... Indeed have the withdrawls, like coming off of a bad trip... ............ That SRAM wall is mean as, totally vert, big nads required straight up.... Some pics M Chops would do the team proud............
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

~~~~~~~~
    I've got a few pics and some ape video that I'll post later, couple bikes need wrenching first. Really appreciated the hookup with the crew, great people to share the stoke with.
    For now, EBX and the wall, and something I noticed while jewels was sessioning the drops.

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    I've got a few pics and some ape video that I'll post later, couple bikes need wrenching first. Really appreciated the hookup with the crew, great people to share the stoke with.
    For now, EBX and the wall, and something I noticed while jewels was sessioning the drops.
    That thing eventually leads to a steep ladder roll, OVER the new CIU section, and a pretty decent sized drop.

EBx spankin' the SRAM wall!!

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    Thanks for the pic, E. You can tell that I've got my weight way too far back. Man, I was pedaling as fast as I could into that and got shot out of that sucker like a rocket!! I've got to master that wall before the end of the season......3 crashes and I was done trying yesterday.

That ladder is the new joyride bridge that crosses lower Crank it up. There's another new ladder just down from there that also crosses CIU that I think they'll keep as a big drop, but the builder said they might make it into a roller though. I'm hoping for a nice drop!

EB

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Sweet line EB! I gave it just one go when I was up there, def has a weird feel to it, really gotta attack it. I'm afraid I didn't to it much justice on my one attempt but if felt like you needed to ride it like a big berm. Or even just like riding a pool.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Sweet line EB! I gave it just one go when I was up there, def has a weird feel to it, really gotta attack it. I'm afraid I didn't to it much justice on my one attempt but if felt like you needed to ride it like a big berm. Or even just like riding a pool.
    Yeah, I hit it the first couple of times and didn't really commit to it and did what muttonchops did and slammed my left shoulder into the wall. The 1st attempt was pretty weak and I didn't have near the amount of speed that was needed. The 2nd attempt got a big "ooooooohhhhhh" with laughs from the folks on the chair, but I didn't lower my right shoulder enough. As the saying goes.... "commit or eash sh*t". Well, I didn't eat sh*t, but it wasn't pretty either and it made a nice echo off of the wall.

The 3rd time I really felt like I gave'r and pedaled like a mofo and was flying into it. The G's of the curve kind of threw my weight back, so I should have pumped into it a bit more and brought my weight closer to my bars a bit. Because I was too far back, I couldn't make the turn back down the wall worth a shyte and shot off the far end of the wall and into the dirt/grass and did a nice tumble.

I'd say it's exactly like riding a pool.....other than the folks on the chair overhead mocking me. I wish it went the other way because it's on my weak side, but I guess it'll force me to get better going left to right. Next time dammit!

EB

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Yeah, I hit it the first couple of times and didn't really commit to it and did what muttonchops did and slammed my left shoulder into the wall. The 1st attempt was pretty weak and I didn't have near the amount of speed that was needed. The 2nd attempt got a big "ooooooohhhhhh" with laughs from the folks on the chair, but I didn't lower my right shoulder enough.

The 3rd time I really felt like I gave'r and pedaled like a mofo and was flying into it. The G's on it kind of threw my weight back, so I should have pumped into it a bit more and brought my weight closer to my bars a bit. Because I was too far back, I couldn't make the turn back down the wall worth a shyte and shot off the far end of the wall and into the dirt/grass and did a nice tumble.

I'd say it's exactly like riding a pool.....other than the folks on the chair overhead mocking me. I wish it went the other way because it's on my weak side, but I guess it'll force me to get better going left to right. Next time dammit!

EB

lol, that's the worst about the bone yard, all eyes are on ya when you're just tryin' to figure stuff out. Anyway, mad props for throwin' down on it, it's a big wall.

~~~~~~~~
    I did some recon/sampling on the new stuff while jewels was sessioning (#4 ). Hope they open it before we leave. got some info on some other new stuff too.

better go ride now, nice cool cloudy day.

Yebo Numzaan
    Airwreck...see you on the mtn. GO!

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops
    Airwreck...see you on the mtn. GO!

~~~~~~~~
    here's the only two shots I took the entire ride, ebx definatly knows how to set up a shot to show the intensity of the trail. My photos don't do the sections justice at all.

Here is ebx getting chased by a couple bears.

this section had me concerned about how close that tree is to the runout, glad I had him to show me the line. Looks easy from here, it's not.

thanks again bro.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    gargamel is a whistler trail. The maps sold by shops in town have it listed.

So any of you guys want to xc it up to Brohm Ridge and check out the views of the Warren Glacier?

I have to show some folks Cypress trails on Monday Tuesday also if you're around.

Sorry AW and EB but i suffered through my one bike park day of the season this year already/
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    Sorry AW and EB but i suffered through my one bike park day of the season this year already/
    Lee, thanks for the invite, but I'm back to Seattle working for the Man again. Next time riding in BC for me, I'll be in Kamloops and Blue River for 5 days. If memory serves me correct, AW and a few buddies are getting shown "mike's trail" tonight by my buddy Zane.

Hey, on a separate note, I saw Sharon the other day as I was getting on the lift and I was gonna go over and say hi, but was literally getting on the chair at that point. Sounds like she's working in the park this year, so I'm bound to run into her (figuratively speaking) sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Airwreck
    this section had me concerned about how close that tree is to the runout, glad I had him to show me the line. Looks easy from here, it's not.
    Thanks for the pics E. I've already got several pics from that trail, so no biggie. Here's a shot of you on that same stretch.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    Lee, this bike park stuff is all about the girls, jewels is going off and making great new friends everyday. I'm just here in a support position . I'm hoping to get her away from the park long enough to at least do RRTI...

Wish we could make the cypress ride, flying out monday morning. Would like to ride the shore sunday.

ebx, the new trail ride didn't happen yesterday, rained in the morning, then the plan was foam pitting, sun came out though and we ended up back in the park.

You sure no how to set up those shots, seeing that one makes me relive the pucker .

I think I'm hungover today....

not really a noob
    im jelouse
    I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcore newbie
    im jelouse
    Victoria?

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    Victoria?
    She's so HOT!

trail fairy
    She's so HOT!
    Worthless without pix eb

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Worthless without pix eb

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by jubilee
    I love snowboarding 2 really, does she MTB, I think Im in love, ahh ya lucky bastids! VJ rulz

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Just roll it......
    I love snowboarding 2 really, does she MTB, I think Im in love, ahh ya lucky bastids! VJ rulz
    According to her profile, yes, she does bike. I mean.....any chick that rips this hard on the board and lives in Whistler is gonna bike, eh?

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/tea...a_jealouse.htm

trail fairy
    According to her profile, yes, she does bike. I mean.....any chick that rips this hard on the board and lives in Whistler is gonna bike, eh?

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/tea...a_jealouse.htm
    Wow very hawt shes a Scorpio too! that does it Im moving to whistler, I have a Burton too dang and she water ski's, girl after my own heart.

no doubt theres a big line

Cheer EBX as if I don't dream of going to Whistler enough now

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

"Its All Good"
    Wow very hawt shes a Scorpio too! that does it Im moving to whistler, I have a Burton too dang and she water ski's, girl after my own heart.

no doubt theres a big line

Cheer EBX as if I don't dream of going to Whistler enough now
    Sheesh TA, your billies chocker again........................

i can't type the letter s
    Great Pics EB. Thanks for sharing.

mj

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That looks like some sweet riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0