dawg primo for DJ & all mountain???- Mtbr.com
    rollin

dawg primo for DJ & all mountain???

thinking about swapping out my 2004 specialized enduro expert (5") frame for a 2005 kona dawg primo (5") frame. intended uses would be dirt jumping, all mountain and maybe some urban.
    anybody use this frame for something like that? can it take some abuse? how's the handling of the frame? how's the suspension?
    thanks.

Glad to Be Alive
    yo scuba blue..................look into the STP too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    thinking about swapping out my 2004 specialized enduro expert (5") frame for a 2005 kona dawg primo (5") frame. intended uses would be dirt jumping, all mountain and maybe some urban.
    anybody use this frame for something like that? can it take some abuse? how's the handling of the frame? how's the suspension?
    thanks.
    I've got a 2003 Dawg that I use for trail and dirt jumping. The 2005's have an extra inch of travel over mine, but I rode with a guy on a new dawg primo or dee-lux who was doing dirt jumps on it. If I wasn't at work I'd post a pic.

After finally getting some time on decent dirt jumps and just getting comfortable on the bike in the air, it really feels very stable and it's not hard to flick the back end around. I used to get squirrely on jumps and drops, but practice makes perfect and it's not a problem anymore.

The bike can take some serious abuse! I had to upgrade my rims, fork, stem, and cranks before i got the bike where I want it, but the primo should be nice. I broke my chainstay a while back but Kona has since fixed the problem and they sent me a replacement for free. Other than that nothing else has been seriously damaged (knock on wood) other than a big dent I added to the seatstay after a nice tumble.

i highly recommend!

Glad to Be Alive
    no, silly, doodoo-brown
    one SPEED run of tunnel and that thing is gone
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    yo scuba blue..................look into the STP too
    no, silly, doodoo-brown
    Attached Images Attached Images

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    i highly recommend!
    cool. thanks for the reply.

rollin
    so, you think i should stick with the '04 enduro?

Glad to Be Alive
    so, you think i should stick with the '04 enduro?
    I'd rather have the FSR suspension then the kona....especially where you live

rollin
    I'd rather have the FSR suspension then the kona....especially where you live
    hmmm...maybe i should've title this thread:

"04 enduro VS. 05 dawg primo for DJ and rippin"

wishiwereridingmybike
    What about the cowan fs frame? If your set on either a dawg or enduro, Id go for the enduro. The frame is beefier, and its got fsr suspension.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't get a dawg for a mix of riding styles even if it was only a little dj and urban. not meant for that. I would get the Kona Howler which has the same amount of travel as the Cowan DS, pedals better than the Cowan DS and looks like it would perform close to as good as the Cowan DS on dirt jumps and way better than the dawg. A Howler would be what I would get for a good do-it-all bike thats not super expensive. plus(I may be wrong) i think the Howler frame doesnt come with a shock (explains the price difference between it and the Cowan DS) so you could choose coil or air- whatever best suits your riding.

Peace

high school loser
    id stick with the enduro if it was me, maybe look into the new enduro frames...
    member of the ZombiEKilleRSquadron
    "we kill zombies dead"

98% of all teens do drugs or have tried them, if you are in the 98% range, copy and paste this in to your signature

Jersey Hucker
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    I wouldn't get a dawg for a mix of riding styles even if it was only a little dj and urban. not meant for that. I would get the Kona Howler which has the same amount of travel as the Cowan DS, pedals better than the Cowan DS and looks like it would perform close to as good as the Cowan DS on dirt jumps and way better than the dawg. A Howler would be what I would get for a good do-it-all bike thats not super expensive. plus(I may be wrong) i think the Howler frame doesnt come with a shock (explains the price difference between it and the Cowan DS) so you could choose coil or air- whatever best suits your riding.

Peace
    isn't the howler kinda heavy? its marketed as a dh race bike but its probaly overkill for urban and djs

Stand back

Explain

Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    I would get the Kona Howler which has the same amount of travel as the Cowan DS, pedals better than the Cowan DS and looks like it would perform close to as good as the Cowan DS on dirt jumps and way better than the dawg.
    What exactly is the difference b/t the Howler and Cowan DS that would give the Howler better climbing ability, but not hinder it for jumping?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxRider77
    isn't the howler kinda heavy? its marketed as a dh race bike but its probaly overkill for urban and djs
    It's really more targeted at 4x. Which means that it's pretty light.

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    What exactly is the difference b/t the Howler and Cowan DS that would give the Howler better climbing ability, but not hinder it for jumping?
    the cowan ds has a concentric pivot (pivots about the bottom bracket) where as the howler has a pivot located above and behind the bottom bracket. theoretically, the howler would have less pedal induced bob.

mtbr member
    i cant really give you an actual opinion because i have never ridden it on djs but it doesn't seem like a great idea. if you got a small frame maybe but the large wouldn't be good at least not to me for dj. its somewhat hard to build a FS bike up for both dj and all mtn. kind of a strange pair. if you build up an HT it would be much easier. but anyways i would stick with the enduro for now, or get an 06 enduro frame.

surf-ride-repeat
    I stay pretty much on trails adn the mountain on mine... use the HT for DJ's and urban...
    Attached Images Attached Images

pol
    Pablo "down" Hill
    thanks.

I've never used mine for DJ, but i can tell you for sure the dawg is the most stable bike I’ve ridden. And I’ve been ridding for some time now.
    life is an adventure, make it epic.

mtbr member
    I gotta agree with SMT on this one. I see a blown Float in your future.
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is it an option to just buy/build up a HT for DJ/urban (maybe swap the same wheels between bikes if you want to keep costs down), and keep the Enduro, since it's an ideal all-mountain bike?

pwn3rator
    so what's wrong with your steelhead...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Members who have read this thread: 0