Damn hard to sell a used frame right now...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Damn hard to sell a used frame right now...

I've been trying to sell what I thought was a pretty sought after frame for about two months now and I'm hardly getting any bites, not even the usual super lowball offers that normally roll in. I'm not out of line at all with what I'm looking to get for it at all.

I'm not trying to advertise here, just ranting is all.

mtbr member
    just curious, what frame and how much? where do you have it posted at for sale?

mtbr member
    MTBR.com has specific rules about spam. I don't feel like spending $2 to list a freeride bike on a place where it will get lost in a sea of 29er and XC frames and I don't want to break mtbr.com's rules of posting.

I was just ranting and wanted to see if others were feeling my pain.

Delirious Tuck
    Its gotta be the economy. However, what I don't get is that certain bike makers are up to their eyeballs with back orders to fill. Maybe its like the car market during 06/07 where new was so cheap no one wanted to buy used so the bottom completely fell out on the domestic used car market.

mtbr member
    $2? I tried to sell a freeride frame for months and sold it the day I listed it here. Worth a shot...
    Binary Transition Bikes Demon Dirt

mtbr member
    Fer Cereal? I've not had much luck listing here but I guess I'll have to give it a go.

Funny, not 10 minutes after posting this here I had a realistic offer roll in on the other site LOL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    No problem, this was all the advertising you needed, haha. I saw this bike a while ago, but nowadays only look in the Canadian market. This thread let me know this bike was still for sale and that you would at least consider my university orientated budget.

Cheers

mtbr member
    +1

I've got what I think is a pretty sweet ride I need to move to get a 29er FS. Only offers I've had are low ball offers.

sixsixtysix
    Yup, its the economy, I have had a hard time unloading some brand new unused gear like shocks and such even at dealer cost the last couple months.

mtbr member
    Economy is gay, let's start a utopian society of MTBers on the side of a nice mountain in BC!

LOL, my frame sold though at least. Thanks Greatwhite! It wasn't my goal to sell the frame through this post at all. My intention was to create a conversation on how selling things is tough right now and maybe get some strategic selling ideas from others.

maker of trail
    Sooooo what was the frame since its not spam anymore?

Roll on Spring Time!
    Maelstrom - right?

Roll on Spring Time!
    Whats next on yur list of testing? A crown?

biking is fun
    man, i hear you.

It also sucks because since no one is getting money for things it seems no one is selling anything.

I saw the craziest deal ever last week on ebay and no one bid on it. (this is not mine, im not trying to promote it)

2009 corsair maelstrom size large (only ridden 5 times)
    roco wc coil shock with 3 springs
    2009 atlas FR cranks
    thomson seatpost
    xt front der

all in mint condition. starting bid was 900 and NO ONE BOUGHT IT!!!!!!!

if i wasn't so in love with my jedi i would have bought it so quick!!!

I hope the used bike market goes back up soon! i have a DC fork ill be needing to unload soon

mtbr member
    I had to wait about 8 months to sell it, but I sold my Yeti ASX 2007 with one year of riding on it (scratches, small dent in swingarm) for $500. Sometimes you just have to wait if you don't need the money right away.

mtbr member
    Tried selling my pimped Yakuza since the last week of May... for $1600. Didn't sell till last week of August for $1200. I also had to sell my Bro's Canfield F1... took a month and sold for 1/3 of its original value.... some hommie in Austria picked it up. I feel the pains. I resorted to not selling at this moment.

About the economy--- Having some industry insides, all the companies are scaling back from year previous... they are not sure if they will sell at the same levels. One distributor told us that even the booming Fixie crowd hit their peak last year, and they are overstocked because their projections were off.
    Bikeless Rider

Its got what plants crave
    I suppose it's a good thing if you're looking to buy.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It is definitely a buyers market right now, but since no one is buying anything no one is making money. I too was trying to sell my pimped Yakuza and got nothing but lowballs, so I resorted to keeping it for now and upgraded some more bits. Probably just unload the frame for cheap down the road and get something else but we will see. With this economy everyone is hurting, my dad is a salesman for a pretty large woodworking company based out of Italy and with the housing market being in the state it is in, his sales are down 93% from last year!

mtbr member
    I'll possibly be looking to sell my Demo 7 in a month or two... It's an 07 and it'll be outfitted with ALL brand new parts, a set of brand new never pulled out of the box Codes, a fresh fork rebuild and extra mission control cartridge and a 6-8 month old shock rebuild that was done so well that it still feels like butter. But even with all that I fear that I wont get what I want and that I'll have to significantly drop the price just to get rid of it.

But that's life. if you want new stuff and have an economic need to get rid of the old in order to buy the new then well you just gotta roll with the punches.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    if i wasn't so in love with my jedi i would have bought it so quick!!!

You made the right decision!!!

mtbr member
    Yeah it was the Maelstrom. Hated to have to sell it, one of the best frames I've ever ridden.

I'm currently testing a Cove STD which is pretty sweet too. Got an Elka Stage5 coming in 10 days or so for it. I should have some info up on my site soon.

Over this winter I will start doing video webisodes rather than written reviews. That'll be a neat twist to the site IMO. I hope to have many reports shot at Ray's during the off season.

Members who have read this thread: 0