Damn Drunkards- Mtbr.com

Thread: Damn Drunkards

mtbr member

Damn Drunkards

You guessed it, another tire thread...

Since I live in a very hick part NH, we have a lot of drunkards who think that driving their F350's around drunk and and throwing beer bottles out their windows is a cool thing to do. Heres my problem: I was riding to local woods today and rode over a broken beer bottle and sliced my tire a bit, not too badly probably about a 3mm long cut through the sidewall. So, is this repairable or will the cut expand? Should i just replace? I'd hate to have to trash it as theres still probably 75% tread left, and if i replaced one, id be pretty tempted to replace the other at the same time, and the money would be coming out of my fork fund.

Maybe i could use those park tool tube patches on the inside and outside of the cut? Soldering Iron at a lower temp and melt it together?

Let me know what you think i should do

thanks--

BMX'er getting big wheels
    I have a couple tires (BMX) that I duct taped the inside of to hold them together, held up just fine.

mtbr member
    Yeah, sounds good. Maybe patches with duct tape over it?

mtbr member
    duct tape or one of thoes tubeless tire patches should do the job.

The Bad
    it really depends on what part of the side wall... if you run high pressure and run fast its prob not going to last to long and if you run low pressure going through rock gardens n such will take your duct tape rite apart.. it works on a bmx bike because your not putting it through the extremes of downhill, smooth parks, semi smooth dirt jumps, and street dont have the same efect as going down a rocky mountain... just go get a new tire youll save yourself a headache in the end

Meh.
    I sliced up the tread on my Holy Rollers in a few places. I was running Stan's before, but not anymore. I just super glued the cuts shut and ran a piece of tape or tube on the inside where it was cut.

mtbr member
    it'll probably be fine with a quick patch/tape job... no need to throw it out without first checking if it can be fixed.

mtbr member
    yeah, thanks guys i patched it inside and outside and then put a few strips of duct tape over the patch on the inside, fast and easy and got me out riding within 10 minites!

Members who have read this thread: 0