A Cry for Help- Mtbr.com

Thread: A Cry for Help

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well A Cry for Help

What am I gonna do? I have been riding and racing xc for four years, and recently I've been bitten by the freeride bug (badly). But I have multiple dilemmas.
    -I am addicted, but I have never ridden anything but a few big (for xc) drops (2-3ft.) and a dual slalom course on my 4in. travel full suspension xc rig. Nothing else comes close to freeriding.
    -I am 14, so I have no money to invest in a freeride bike. My parents are the xc type also, my dad teeters on all-mountain, but they aren't interested in getting in to freeride.
    -Even if I did have a bike for it, I don't really have a place to ride that isn't a 2.5 hour drive away. There is a downhill course and the dual slalom mentioned above, which would be great until I progress, because neither one is great (the downhill course isn't much more than a downhill trail with big log pyramids and two 4-5ft. drops that are poorly built.)
    -Nobody else I know is even remotely interested in freeriding, so no one to get any experience from.

Is my obsession misplaced? I have freeriding posters in my room, but I have never done anything like that. I have a t-shirt that suggests I go big, but I don't. I bought Downhill Domination the PS2 game hoping that would quench my thirst, but it only made it worse. I don't see myself getting un-addicted soon, so is there any way to relieve me of my pain? HELP ME!!!

high school loser
    well if your detticated and really into it you'll find a way. since theres nothing around you just build it. fix up the downhill course and make it good. for a bike, save up and look into cheap freeride bikes like the haro x1, big hit spec, and some of the iron horse bikes. mtbr is also a good way to find people in your area to ride with too. hope this helps.
    member of the ZombiEKilleRSquadron
    "we kill zombies dead"

98% of all teens do drugs or have tried them, if you are in the 98% range, copy and paste this in to your signature

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    well ask your LBS about places to free-ride and people to ride with. ride as much as posible and as far as not having any mony, just do what ever it takes to get money. i picked up every spare change i found every penny , every dime, ect. and after 1 1/2 years i had $250. and just to let u know, that itch to go riding will never go away except for when u r riding.

mtbr member
    welcome to the dark side...

Your XC base will be the best thing for you. Continue doing what you're doing, work on your technical skills, even trackstanding in the driveway and riding the curbs - this will help prepare you for riding the skinnies. When you ride XC trails, find nice flowy singletrack and practice riding through it as fast as possible, leaning the bike while keeping your body more upright... the possibilities for practice are endless. Just make sure you are controlling your speed enough to either slow down or ditch it for oncoming and unseen grandmother with Yorkshire terrier on a leash...

I did my first XC race, 4X race, and DH race on the same 4-inch travel bike. (I didn't know enough to be afraid) So, it's not always about the bike.

If you have no other options, go hit the BMX park with your mtn bike. It will help you prepare for your next DS race!

One more thing: get a piggy bank and start saving now for your trip to Diablo or Whistler in 2007. Start talking your dad into it now. Then make it happen.

-sunny

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

buy my bike

i have a stock bighit spec for sale right now for 450$ if you want it
    Tupac fo Life

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=sunnyracegirl]welcome to the dark side...

LMAO @ the Yorkie Terrier thing. You have NO idea how bad I hate those little dogs.

I think everyone has covered a good game plan above so I will only second Sunny's statement, "Welcome to the darkside" little brother and never ever let your freeride dreams die.

p.s. You are suprisingly articulate for 14 yrs old by the way.
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

Glad to Be Alive
    Welcome to the darkside...many people have croosed that path. Come Come DH/FR is calling you:

fix up the downhill course and make it good...practice on that...look into the Tennesee forum for other riders.

for a bike, save up and Buy used you will get a better deal and you won't thrash a new bike while you are learning.

For money...mow peoples lawns and wash cars (wash and wax 50 bucks out in cali 70)....look into a paper route

lastly at the XC races you go to some will have DH races
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Thanks for the great ideas. I think I am going to try to find out when the DH and 4x races will be going on in my area and I will try to start out on some of them with my xc bike.

I can't go to my bike shops because they all sponsor or cater to xc riders and road riders and they know nothing about freeriding or downhill racing.

Talking about a trip to Whistler or Diablo, I think I might have convinced my dad to take me to Snowshoe after the 24 Hours of Big Bear for some freeriding while the rest of my family rides the XC trails.

Right now my only way to earn any significant amount of money is to work for a guy around his house, but he hasn't had anything for me to do in over two months. Sorry 888Bighit, I don't have any money for even something that cheap. I'll be saving up, so maybe in a couple of months. My birthday's coming up, so maybe I'll get some money towards your bike. Let me know if it will still be available then, but don't put it on layaway.

Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo13
    p.s. You are suprisingly articulate for 14 yrs old by the way.
    Yeah, go figure . In Tennessee they are really big on vocab, writing, and reading. It's something you can't help but pick up.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I can't go to my bike shops because they all sponsor or cater to xc riders and road riders and they know nothing about freeriding or downhill racing.
    well then do some recherch, get all the info u can about every single DH and DS race, that is in your area (area might mean the next cuple states over, also), create a resemay, bring photo's of the race courses, and of racers. tell them that even though there not that into DH and FR tipe stuff, that they should think of it more of as a advertisement. tell them that if they sponser u that u could spread the word of there shop and tell people how great it is to do buisnes with. and that it will broden the harizen, and they will have a wider range of custimers to sell to.

mtbr member
    where in TN are you? forget freeriding. get a trials bike. trials is much cooler anyway. there is a good little pocket of guys in middle TN riding trials.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulentfox
    where in TN are you? forget freeriding. get a trials bike. trials is much cooler anyway. there is a good little pocket of guys in middle TN riding trials.
    I am in extreme northeast TN. Me and my dad actually kind of have a trials bike project going on, building up and old small hardtail frame of mine with trials stuff.

Anyway, for some Downhill and 4x races I may try, I think I have convinced my dad to let me use his wheels, which are essentially light freeride hoops, in exchange for him getting to use my bling-bling xc wheelset at a race that I won't be at. Can anyone suggest any thing else to help when using my xc bike, like setup of rebound, compression on my suspension. I am going to assume stiffer with slower rebound, but I don't know, that's why I am asking.
    Last edited by jamiswes; 07-14-2005 at 03:59 PM.