Critisize my photos part 2- Mtbr.com
    Authority is dead!

Idea! Critisize my photos part 2

Ok, so I got my camera again and went shooting, but with a totally new aspect. Check it out and throw any photo related comments you might have. Is there an improvement? Location - Lynn Woods, Lynn, MA.

1. Bill hitting a wall/rock ride.
    2. Gman rolling it
    3. Tanya going for a steep one
    4. Myself, like the pic, dunno why...?!
    5. Myself on the smaller Accopoco
    6. Gotta love New England (Gman on the background).

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (192.6 KB, 494 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (182.4 KB, 496 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (192.9 KB, 493 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (192.0 KB, 493 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (193.0 KB, 490 views)
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

Authority is dead!
    New England and Mr Diesel rolling it down...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (188.7 KB, 486 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (193.1 KB, 471 views)
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

dirtbag
    Aug 2004
    i dont know if u were going for the blur effect or what, but i find sharp images to be more aestheticly pleasing. u probably already know, but use a faster shutter speed or film. some of the pics are blurred to the point where u can't tell what they are. just my 2 cents.
    I have a dk legacy bmx bike for sale if anyone is interested. email me at [email protected]

style, flow...RIDE!!
    Jan 2004
    Those are definitely some great pics man. I really like the one with the fall leaves in focus with the rider in the distance. I dont really know your knowledge of photography and stuff but mine is definitely kinda low. That being said: the first couple pics, you could probably make the rider a little clearer if you use a higher shutter speed and screw with the aperature a little bit. Its been awhile for me and I have still not perfected that kind of picture, they are hard as hell.
    Scratchy Rat Racing

"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."--Office Space

When in doubt, whip it out. -Gee Atherton.

mtbr member
    you did a good job taking the pics with the blur in the background but I dont really like those pics because it draws your attention away from the bikers it looks like there is too much going on in the pic I think regular pics do the job just fine or maybe use a little bit faster shutter speed so it isnt so blurry in the backgroup so you can actually tell some detail back there

Authority is dead!
    Just so you all know, previous pictures that I posted were VERY sharp and people said that they were lacking that moment capture.
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

style, flow...RIDE!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    Just so you all know, previous pictures that I posted were VERY sharp and people said that they were lacking that moment capture.
    Yeah the post that I put below might be a little decieveing, I liked the motion capture in the background, I was just suggesting ways that you can keep that and make the rider clearer.
    Scratchy Rat Racing

100% Cheesy Goodness
    nice use of the "law of thirds", good framing of the subject. Aside from some of the blurry pics, not bad. good color in all of them. Lots of good contrast. nice to see some more creative angles and such. try panning with the rider more to get rid of that blur, but you have to choose your angles other wise it can make it look like they are dropping a curb. not too shabby tho
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

Authority is dead!
    these shot were taken with shutter speed set at 1/40. So should I step up to say 1/60 or 1/80? I was planning on having blur. I will post more Sunday night after another ride.
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

style, flow...RIDE!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    these shot were taken with shutter speed set at 1/40. So should I step up to say 1/60 or 1/80? I was planning on having blur. I will post more Sunday night after another ride.
    wow, It really depends on how fast they are going, for DH racing or fast moving in general, I use about 1/180 or faster. Your guys might be riding really slow off those drops so I cant tell you for sure.
    Scratchy Rat Racing

dirtbag
    Aug 2004
    u can blur the background and not the rider by standing closer to the subject than normal and panning with the rider. this will hopefully have the rider in sharp focus and blur the back ground. it would be a better pic, but i still like seeing everything around the rider so i know whats going on.
    I have a dk legacy bmx bike for sale if anyone is interested. email me at [email protected]

Ride Hard, Ride Free
    May 2004
    You can't please everyone...good job.

dirtbag
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fr-rider
    You can't please everyone...good job.
    he asked for criticism

mtbr remember
    I don't know much about photog. but I would say the subject shouldnt' be so blurry, but if you want to show movement or speed, you will want the background somewhat blurry, don't know how you achieve this, but just suggesting. I dig the fall leaves one too.
    btw- your terrain looks very similar to that around Lake Superior here (rocky, Canadian Shield lookin stuff), but you lucky guys have a little more elevation, unless you go to the CA. side.
    Schralp it Heavy.

abolisher of A$$holes
    Nice pics...they're all good for different reasons and I'm sure someone could say they're bad for the same ones...Might I suggest that you mix it up and remember which speeds you use for different photos especially until you can judge riding speed with shutter speed (small notebooke might come in handy)...Our leaves here are just barely started changing...yours are so beautiful and they make for a nice frame on one of those pics...good artful eye...
    It just takes a lot of practice...I used to take skate pics with an old all manual Canon AE-1...just as hard to get someone at the exact moment they're all styled out and peaked out on a skate as it is on a bike...someday the settings will become second nature to ya though if you stick with it...nice improvement though...
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions --but I don't always agree with them.
    George Bush, US President

Frequent Flyer
    Jan 2004
    Pretty nice photos overall. It seems like you were trying to the panning effect on those first shots. #3 was the sharpest, but the rider was still a little blurred. Usually for panning shots, I use a shutter speed of 1/30, and I really try to pan the camera at the same speed of the rider. It's really hit or miss, and its lucky when you get one that works. Here's an example of a pan shot I printed, its not tack sharp, but pretty good:

Ignore the lame quality, the scanner didnt do very well transferring the contrast from theoriginal print. For the shots that you are not panning on, just use as fast of a shutter speed as the lighting will allow to get a correctly exposed shot. You had very nice depth of field on #1 of second post, the leaves in the foreground always give a nice effect. Those shots are tricky too though, to keep the rider in focus. I assume you used a smaller aperture, F11 or F16 with a slow shutter speed to let enough light in. That is why the rider is slightly blurred. I dont know how much your camera allows you to configure the settings, but if you can, do it manually.

Shots are looking good overall though. I would suggest trying to get some different angles. Try climbing a tree to get some high angle shots, or if they or hitting a jump, get right underneath them. Good luck!

If you want to see more of my black and white riding photography, check out my gallery on my site here

T.Dot Represent
    yo thsoe are some sick fork guards on the kid with that boxxer! never thought of usin a TIRE!!!
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

banned
    this one has great comp, but the rider action is a bit under"nourished". it's my favorite of the group, with the others being just too blurry to convey much impact for my tastes.

best one

Youngbuck
    Pretty good pics,some i thought were too blury but others i liked alot.Keep it up.

And BTW i thought #5 was the best.
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

Whig party member

I like them but...

I think you didn't really get the riders in focus. The back ground blur is makes it look like the riders are going top speed and if you have them focused in the photograph all the reader(or person thats looking at it)is gona see. I like the last one on the first set, it really cool. It look like a bigger drop and it is focused pritty good.

Authority is dead!
    That's my problem! Do you guys suggest using manual focus or auto?

Thanks!
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

mtbr member
    cool shots. I just realized I've used the guy in your avatar for a few concert flyers I've put together for my band
    AJ

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    i liked the ones who were in proper focus...and the riders wernt blured but the backing was...its a nice effect...the colours are nice to...

my favourite was the last one of the second lot...the colurs in the back blur very nicly and the rider is clear...

althought they seem very plain...some if not most are boring...maby some air time would fix that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles