Creaking sound coming from front end?- Mtbr.com
    Check out Epic Cycles
    Jan 2007

Good job! Creaking sound coming from front end?

I just built up a brand new Santa Cruz Bullit with Chris King headset and Marzocchi 66 fork up front and I took the bike up to mammoth for the first few rides and I noticed a loud creaking sound coming from my headset/steerer tube area and I've ever heard this before on any of my other bikes I've had and I always run the same parts setup? Does anybody have any tips or ideas on what I can do to stop the noise im hearing? I also am running a stem lock preloaded so I don't use a star nut? Please any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers

mtbr member
    You'll first need to figure out where the noise is coming from.
    Is it a brand new CK headset for 1.5" or is it set up for tapered or 1/18th" ?
    Is it a new or used 66? What year? Some 66 from not too long ago were famous for creaking/crackling.
    Basically, are these new parts or did you pull them off a previous build?
    Without additional info I'm going to go with improperly set up/preloaded headset.
    Some CK headsets depending on steer tube diameter are fickle on initial set up and need to be dialed in just right.
    Did you pull the headset apart and regrease and retorque everything and then ride the bike again?
    Did you do the build and headset cup install?
    Also, be sure to check the stem/bar connection-that can be a source of creaking as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Is it a new or used 66? What year? Some 66 from not too long ago were famous for creaking/crackling.
    Yup, what year 66? If it's 2010 or sounds like this:

Marzocchi 66 rc3 cracking noise on MPORA

then its probably due to a bad fit between the crown and stantions. I had the same problem with 3 warranties before it got fixed. Marzocchi figured it out though eventually and it went strong ever since.

Also, cleanup and re-grease your headset. Mine (forget what it is exactly and I'm ~7,000 miles away from my bike so I can't check) gets creaky about every 2 months on the dot and needs new grease. Nothing is cracked, it just seems to hate ANY dirt that gets in there. Its worth a shot if you haven't done so already.

Good luck

-Ian
    Gnar Cal!

EastBaySteez
    Its probably your weenis.

Go get a shot of penicillin in your rompus.

All your problems will be solved.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Chris King for DH headsets = FAIL from my own personal experience (and many others) but they supposedly figured them out now that the patent ran out on Cane Creek's design. So how old is the CC headset? You're better off with a FSA or Works IMHO! Save the CK for the trail bike.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Chris King for DH headsets = FAIL from my own personal experience (and many others) but they supposedly figured them out now that the patent ran out on Cane Creek's design. So how old is the CC headset? You're better off with a FSA or Works IMHO! Save the CK for the trail bike.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    I agree...not a fan of chris queens
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Had a similar issue on my Jedi. I had a mix of carbon and FSA polycarbonate headset spacers. Found that it was the headset spacers rubbing together, so put grease in between all the spacers and the sound went away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Grease!!

I just took apart my 2005 Giant Rincon's headset and lightly greased everything. Silence is golden

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Silence is golden for components that are supposed to be silence. That said... I like to have the loudest hubs as possible. Heck, I wish my front hub had a rachet in it.

Members who have read this thread: 0