Crappy 2008 66- Mtbr.com

Thread: Crappy 2008 66

mtbr member

Crappy 2008 66

So pretty much this year of the 66 has been proven crappy. Two of my buddies have the RCV's, both have bushing slop, one has a bit of slop, the other has a terrible slop (you can see the dust seals move when you rock the fork).

I've just bought a used bike with the 2008 66 RCV fork on it, I'm worried that it might have the same problem. It's either I'm going to sell the fork immediately when it arrives, or I can replace the bushings if it has slop. So, basically if replacing the bushing pretty much solves the problem? If this is the solution then I think I would probably keep the fork. Will I need a special tool to remove/replace the bushings? Appreciate any infos, thanks.
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    get a new fork
    Last edited by cakemoto; 11-17-2010 at 09:49 AM.

Professional Troll
    Call zoke, see what they'll do for you. They're usually really good about these things.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Some people just buy new lowers. Cause new bushing are hard to get right. Even with the right tools.

Just roll it......
    I wouldn't buy a 66 RCV (regardless of year) because it lacks adjust-ability. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Unless something has changed since last winter, zochi won't warranty a fork you buy used, but they might give you a deal on parts. To make that fork worth riding you will need new lowers (to address bushing slop and axle loosening,) new steerer-crown-stanchion assembly (when the crown starts creaking,) a new axle (because your hub will wiggle around) and an RC3 cart (to make it worth riding.)

Trust me, you don't want to do it. I did it all under warranty and when all was said and done I should have just chucked it and got a new fork. I must say now that it is essentially a '10 RC3 it is a great.

Accept the fact that you won't be able to sell that fork for much, save the money and headaches dealing with marz, and ride it like you stole until you can save up for a new fork.

mtbr member
    I have a spare 2007 RC2X just in case the fork has some problems...I have not ridden the RCV extensively, is the damping basically an HSCV? i.e. feels good on single hits, but feels harsh on multiple?
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Playing with oil weights and pre-load I could either get it to feel OK in the rough, or I could get it to take a big hit well, but never both at the same. Plus the if one was good the other was really poor. It could have been my tuning skills, but I tried a lot of different things.

Much happier with RC3, still took a little work but I was able to get it to be responsive while not trying to dump me OTB on every big hit..

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzeon
    I have a spare 2007 RC2X just in case the fork has some problems...I have not ridden the RCV extensively, is the damping basically an HSCV? i.e. feels good on single hits, but feels harsh on multiple?
    Your 2007 RC2X is still a very well-regarded singlecrown fork and is the last "good" year from 'zocchi, IMO. I do not consider going to an '08 or '09 an upgrade because of reliability issues. Then, the RCV is lacking in the damping and adjustability that your RC2X has.

RCV is more equivalent to the SSVF. Personally, as someone that had the 66 RC2X, I'd use that as my primary fork and keep the 2008 as the backup - if at all.

Why are you "upgrading" to the RCV in the first place?

mtbr member
    I rode an '08 66 rcv for a year and didn't have any of the issues people ***** about. Its a good huckin fork, but thats about it. Performance was just fine, but the lack of features and small bump damping made me upgrade to a 888 rc3.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Your 2007 RC2X is still a very well-regarded singlecrown fork and is the last "good" year from 'zocchi, IMO. I do not consider going to an '08 or '09 an upgrade because of reliability issues. Then, the RCV is lacking in the damping and adjustability that your RC2X has.

RCV is more equivalent to the SSVF. Personally, as someone that had the 66 RC2X, I'd use that as my primary fork and keep the 2008 as the backup - if at all.

Why are you "upgrading" to the RCV in the first place?
    I'm not upgrading, as mentioned earlier I got a used bike and it comes with the RCV fork. I just thought that if the fork would feel as close to the RC2X then I would probably keep it. I've searched some thread about the rcv and it's pretty much poop. Will definitely sell when it arrives.
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Folangag

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzeon
    Great upgrade absolutely amazing....
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    get a new cartridge, 2009 RC3/ATA internals are good or even an 2010, or the avalanche cartridge that i think would be better

Glad to Be Alive
    here is the deal....

ride the fork...if it develops slop then....

tell marz you have had problems since get go and you are original owner

ask about crash replacement....get a new2010 fork for crash replacement vlue...(hint smoking deals on 2010's and 11's)

bike rider
    Ride fork first. If it has slop Marz isn't replacing the bushings, rather they are replacing the lowers with 2010s. Call them to see what it will cost you.
    Keep the Country country.

Members who have read this thread: 0