Crank Help on 2007 Bullit- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Crank Help on 2007 Bullit

I have a new 2007 bullit with the RFR kit and 150mm rear spacing. It comes stock with Hussfelt 170mm cranks and Howitzer BB. The BB has a long spindle and sets the chainline around 55mm. I would like to replace this crankset with a 175mm length/ integrated spindle/outboard bearing crankset that can save some weight and still be burly. I have a set of RF atlas cranks on an old All mountain bike that I was going to transfer over, but the integrated spindle is not long enough and the chainline sucks too short.

For 08 Race Face is doing Atlas cranks for the 83mm shell, can I use these cranks on my 73mm shell to get the right chainline?? What options do I have to get close to Atlas crankset weight? I have emailed SC and Race Face and they are pretty much useless.

thanks

Meh.
    There is a kit from RaceFace to run your 83mm spindle cranks with a 73mm shell. It sounds like that's what you need.

mtbr member
    Yes, the RF atlas cranks will still work on a 73mm shell - I believe it will just use more spacers then the 83mm version.

mtbr member

Online...

Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    There is a kit from RaceFace to run your 83mm spindle cranks with a 73mm shell. It sounds like that's what you need.
    Know of any online stores that carry this..
    BTW.. Raceface tech support didn't even mention this, after 10 emails to try to figure this out? This would still mean that I would have to buy a new crankset with a longer spindle for the 83mm shell + an adapter kit for the 73mm shell correct?

Meh.
    Yeah. You need the longer spindle to get the chainline right. Not sure about online shops. Swing by your LBS, they can order it for you.

mtbr member
    you can get the cranks to work, you just need an 83mm bb dust sleeve and an extra 10mm of spacers to get from 73-83. The benefit of this is that you can fine tune your chain line with much more flexibility over a regular 73mm shell which uses only 1 2.5 spacer so u only got 2 options there. Downside being, the spindle is 10mm extended outside the bearings so the additional leverage will add extra stress onyour bearings and cause premature wear. If you go this route i would go with use a shimano bb instead of race face, they are compatable and of much better quality imho. Just beware you must use the correct amout of spacers(obvious yes but i found RF spindles to be extra finicy at the spline. If you are looking to save $$ this is the way to go and for the cost of a bb and some extra bb spacers at your local bb its worth a shot.

But if you are looking for an upgrade and to shave some weight there are plenty of options out there that a ton stiffer than the RF. And you can get the correct spindle for your bike and avoid any headaches. FSA gravity has a few options

Members who have read this thread: 0