CRANK Brothers 50/50 Pedals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

CRANK Brothers 50/50 Pedals

Does anyone use these pedals and if so what pins do you use with them, the long pins, short pins or screws?

Which is better and why?

Your retarded
    For such a cosmetically attractive pedal, they sure do suck. I suppose that's true for most of Crank Brothers stuff.

Long pins have provided the best results for me riding a friend's set. I still have the short pins in the almost brandnew pair that live in my spare parts bin. I've never tried screws, but if they make the 50/50's even a 1/10th as good as most pedals out there, go to screws... and then put them in the spare parts bin for a day when you blow up your other pedals.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    They suck mad wang.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

New question here.

I havent bought them yet, still actually deciding which flat pedals to buy.

What do you guys recommend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit888
    I havent bought them yet, still actually deciding which flat pedals to buy.

What do you guys recommend?
    Cheap, Stong, Reliable- Azonic A Frame

Expensive-ish, Strong, Reliable- Speedplay Drilliums

Very Expensive, Strong, Reliable, Pimp- Straightlines

Expensive, Sh*tty, Fall Apart, Slippery- Crankbrothers 5050

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have some syncros mental mags. They're pretty expensive, light, and awesome.

Glad to Be Alive
    wow....they look so nice....didn't even know they were that bad....why are they so bad??
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Cheap, Stong, Reliable- Azonic A Frame

Expensive-ish, Strong, Reliable- Speedplay Drilliums

Very Expensive, Strong, Reliable, Pimp- Straightlines

Expensive, Sh*tty, Fall Apart, Slippery- Crankbrothers 5050

I was looking at the Straitlines too, they look really good but yes quite expensive!

Big Test Icycles
    I have the 50/50XX and they are, ok. I had to add screws to them to keep from slipping off. Best thing to do is hit a Home Depot and buy up some screws, they will set you back less than $5 for about 36. One of mine has a tight spot in the bearing, it almost feels like it is bent a little bit but has been thsi way since new. I also have a pair of Transition Step Down and have never had an issue with them.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    wow....they look so nice....didn't even know they were that bad....why are they so bad??
    seems they suffer the same fate as the rest of the CB pedal line-up...broken/seperated spindles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i bought them on sale on Jenson. picked them just cause they look nice, and ive had good luck with the Mallet's, so i figure'd i give em a try.

they're heavy. doesnt really bother me though.

as far as traction goes...i cant really tell since im using 5.10s...and they pretty much stick to whatever.

but im sure there are lighter, better traction, and cheaper pedals out there.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    seems they suffer the same fate as the rest of the CB pedal line-up...broken/seperated spindles.
    man oh man....that is too bad
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have the 50/50x and I was slipping all over the place last weekend. I figured it was just the crappy tread on my shoes. What type of screws did you buy? Are you getting screws or allen pins to add on to what they come with?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I don't know what your budget is, but I think they are around the same price of the 5050s.

Check out the Kona Wah Wah's They are super grippy and have held up to my weight (235 pounds)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Haven't had a problem with mine. I picked them because the shop I stopped at didn't have much of a selection. I did loctite the allen screws that hold them together since I heard some folks have had a problem with that.

N* Bomber Crew
    Personally, I like the 50/50's. I came off A-Frames and I liked those as well. I bought 50/50's on sale at Pricepoint for $40 bucks.

I used them all season at Northstar with my Etnies skate shoes. I thought they gripped pretty well. I'm using the short "cone" pins. I hate overly grippy pedals because I like to have the ability to adjust my footing when there is pressure on the pedal.

One thing I will say about them, at least in my experience, is that they are burly as hell. I have done so much crap to my 50/50's its ridiculous. I've mashed them on rocks, grinded rocks, bashed em, etc.

If you're looking for super grippy pedals I'd look into something else. The 50/50's have a decent mix of everything (Grip, Durability, Weight), but they don't perform exceptionally well in either of those categories. At the price they are, I think they're worth a shot.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Elitest thrill junkie
    They are so bad because they are made by CB. I haven't owned any CB products that didn't have serious issues. They always have a "gimmick" feature to hook you, but in all other areas they are usually woefully under-engineered. That "gimmick" aspect may be a little harsh, as an eggbeater pedal is very light and it's not really a gimmick if you are willing to deal with the sacrifice, but I've bent bodies, broken spindles, had the bearings fail, had the pedals fall off the spindles, and notice I'm using plural words here. The metal of my CB tool seems like it was milled off a russian submarine, get it close to moisture and instantly it's covered in rust. The chain breaker doesn't push the pin all the way out, which is absolutely fabulous for trying to install a chain or quick-link for repair. I can go use shimano-equivalent of CB pedals and get about 3-5x the life out of them, or in other words the CBs only last a few months. Sure, they got great customer service and they usually replace em, but I get tired of sending in pedals every two months. Check out threads on their Cobalt cranks...FAIL. Quite a few problems with the new headsets (people cracked and went through multiple cups), etc. I'll say this though, they have the disposable-pedal market cornered.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Personally, I like the 50/50's. I came off A-Frames and I liked those as well. I bought 50/50's on sale at Pricepoint for $40 bucks.

I used them all season at Northstar with my Etnies skate shoes. I thought they gripped pretty well. I'm using the short "cone" pins. I hate overly grippy pedals because I like to have the ability to adjust my footing when there is pressure on the pedal.

One thing I will say about them, at least in my experience, is that they are burly as hell. I have done so much crap to my 50/50's its ridiculous. I've mashed them on rocks, grinded rocks, bashed em, etc.

If you're looking for super grippy pedals I'd look into something else. The 50/50's have a decent mix of everything (Grip, Durability, Weight), but they don't perform exceptionally well in either of those categories. At the price they are, I think they're worth a shot.

I agree.....I used the standard and my son has the xx on his ride. We bashed the **** out of these pedals at Northstar this year with no problems at all. I put at least 12 pins per side and used loctite for sure. I just bought a set of the (264 dollar) 339 gram Twenty six products pedals to try on my new demo 8...but I'm gonna keep my set of 5050s for rock gardens

Bike Hustler
    worst pedals ever
    thick
    slick
    heavy
    ....lick
    SHAM-WOW

Peace Coast Style
    Suck ass. I've gone through 3 pairs, only kept getting them as they were free out of warranty. Had one pair with bearing failure, and all 3 pairs have had almost every single allen strip out, the allens are always coming loose, even after locte. My 3rd pair which is being used right now has been creaking for the past couple months and the allens are constantly coming out. They work great for the first month or so but after then have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Ever slip a pedal and slam into the seat? That little thing would disappear until I later got to the ER.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yeah 5050's sure do suck. The little interchangable plate that falls off is retarded and if you can manage to not lose that I also dont like that unlike most flats that are concave in the middle the 5050's have a big bump in the middle.

I have wellgo b54's retail for like $75 nice bearings, still like new after a year, pretty light.
    I have some speedplays too, I like the wellgo's better, I also have the expensive funn pedals (which are ugly as sin) but really rugged

mtbr member
    Might I suggest Funn Vipers - I have been on three dif sets of pedals lately and the Funns kick ass. I <3 my pedals.
    Concaved slightly - no missing pins yet - super gripper - where shin guards or pay the burger man.
    "You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
    C. S. Lewis

May The Force Be With You
    i've got them on my Homegrown and they don't grab my shoes to good.
    these are what i have on the straigh8 and i love them:

http://www.kore-usa.com/products/elite_pedal.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '08 Toyota FJ Cruiser / Facebook: NyNomadFJC

Still a child inside...
    Yes they are heavy.
    Yes, the default pins are VERY slippery.
    BUT
    It works nice with long screws.
    IMO looks nice and definitely strong as hell.
    After bashing it loudly i looked at it, and
    didn't find a scratch.

Capricious youth...
    Whoever said that all Crank Brothers stuff sucks is full of it.

The 50/50 pedals are the ones that suck.

I run Quattros on my road bike, Candies on my AM/Trail bike, and Mallets on my big bike. All are perfect. All function well. All do their job just like they should and offer a great amount of float.
    Meh.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    Whoever said that all Crank Brothers stuff sucks is full of it.
    Which is why I included the picture of the snapped spindle above, to show that I'm not just making it up. I've been riding for over 10 years on shimano pedals with no crazy snapped axles, in fact I've had very little trouble except for 545 cages loosening, but that is easily fixed, and the mechanism/bearings/spindles have always been solid. I actually crush rocks (people behind me say they see sparks) with my 545s. My mallets were easily crushed by rocks. I'll take a picture of my CB tool for you later tonight, so you can see how bad rust builds up on it and how it doesn't have enough threads to push a chain-pin through. I'm actually off to work right now, but I have a CB spindle on my desk as a paperweight, I'll take a picture of that too (where the F is the pedal body?). Maybe you should go look for yourself in the reviews, be sure to check out the cobalt cranks, not to mention all the reviews of pedals (ignore the rating, go look at how much stuff has had to be replaced/warrentied, it's simply staggering). An underdesigned/bad product is just that, no matter how good the customer service is.

And by "working perfectly", do you mean that it occasionally launches your knee when you hit the underside of the pedal on a rock, or is it "perfect" when the brass cleats start to wear (which happens real fast, cause they're made of brass) and you are pedaling hard and all of a sudden it releases your knee into your handlebar? That was some of the "perfection" that I was dealing with. Another aspect of that "perfection" is how you have to roll/push your foot-forward on the mallet to engage it, you can't just step on it and "click" in like other pedals. And of course sometimes your foot slips, which is also perfect.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    So Jayem, you are not a fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Which is why I included the picture of the snapped spindle above, to show that I'm not just making it up. I've been riding for over 10 years on shimano pedals with no crazy snapped axles, in fact I've had very little trouble except for 545 cages loosening, but that is easily fixed, and the mechanism/bearings/spindles have always been solid. I actually crush rocks (people behind me say they see sparks) with my 545s. My mallets were easily crushed by rocks. I'll take a picture of my CB tool for you later tonight, so you can see how bad rust builds up on it and how it doesn't have enough threads to push a chain-pin through. I'm actually off to work right now, but I have a CB spindle on my desk as a paperweight, I'll take a picture of that too (where the F is the pedal body?). Maybe you should go look for yourself in the reviews, be sure to check out the cobalt cranks, not to mention all the reviews of pedals (ignore the rating, go look at how much stuff has had to be replaced/warrentied, it's simply staggering). An underdesigned/bad product is just that, no matter how good the customer service is.

And by "working perfectly", do you mean that it occasionally launches your knee when you hit the underside of the pedal on a rock, or is it "perfect" when the brass cleats start to wear (which happens real fast, cause they're made of brass) and you are pedaling hard and all of a sudden it releases your knee into your handlebar? That was some of the "perfection" that I was dealing with. Another aspect of that "perfection" is how you have to roll/push your foot-forward on the mallet to engage it, you can't just step on it and "click" in like other pedals. And of course sometimes your foot slips, which is also perfect.

Some dude who digs bikes

plates slip off

man oh man....that is too bad
    I hate these pedals, but they came on one of my bikes, and I haven't changed them out yet. The whole idea of removable color plates is stupid. It looks cool, but who wants your pedals coming apart while you ride? Hasn't happened to me yet, but I've seen it happen to 2 friends. I'll take function over form, thank you.

Ride.Recover.Beer.
    I'm glad I never bought a pair of the 50/50's now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by briank10
    I'm glad I never bought a pair of the 50/50's now
    remember about the advice on these forums....one mans Porsche is another mans MG.
    "life is a little slower when your over 100 MPH" JAD

banned
    Oct 2008
    this

is the crappy advice

im talking about these pedals are the bomb

for ta price if people were not
    such hacks quit slaming into rocks flow through

rock garden no plow them sam hill uses em
    boyko etc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smart52
    this

is the crappy advice

im talking about these pedals are the bomb

for ta price if people were not
    such hacks quit slaming into rocks flow through

rock garden no plow them sam hill uses em
    boyko etc
    They've got nothing on Syncros.

I bought a pair of white ones a little bit ago, jesus christ....the grip on them is insane. Sometimes I wonder if my feet are glued to the pedals. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Every effin dime.
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

The Beaver
    I love mine, I run them with the short pins and 5.10's and they are perfect.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Pacifist Guerilla
    May 2008
    I honestly dont know what anyones talking about. Ive had five or six pedal sets and the 50/50 are the best ive had! No problems with grip at all.

But then again, what you get on here is opinions, sometimes educated ones. Depends on you, but im very happy with my 5050's. I suppose some people will dislike them because they are so common, but really theyre a good pedal.

BH1
    mtbr member
    Ive had pretty good luck w/ my 50/50s. I use the screws and they are really grippy.

All in all, they look cool, but I think for the same money you can find a better option.

"The Freak Show"
    I've been running mine with short pins and 5.10s all season long and they have been great. I liked my Easton Fatboys better but all in all Im happy with the 50/50s.
    Go big or go home in a wheel chair!
    Info on 2011 racing season

pwn3rator
    i love my drilliums, best pedal i've ever owned...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Members who have read this thread: 0