crank bros mallet; good as non-clip platform?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

crank bros mallet; good as non-clip platform?

hello mallet users,

i'm looking at a pair of older mallet c's. but i'm wondering if these work well with a street shoes? or do the wings stick up too much? would the "traction pins" help this?

the main use will be on the trail, of course, with their appropriate cleated-shoes, but i'd also like to be able to use them to run to the gettin' place when i'm back in town.

thanks much,

nick

The Beaver
    yes.

Although, they work best with clipless shoes, but you can ride them in normal street shoes.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

AKA shitbird
    I've been using these for a couple of years now. They will work ok for basic riding with regular shoes but you will feel the clip a little bit. They will NOT work well for doing any sort of trail riding with regular shoes. The plates on each end (the only traction if not clipped in) tend to bend easily and quickly become useless. The new mallets with the pins (like in flat pedals) look slick and I'm sure would work much better
    JRA

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    I've been using these for a couple of years now. They will work ok for basic riding with regular shoes but you will feel the clip a little bit. They will NOT work well for doing any sort of trail riding with regular shoes.
    Yep. I only use them without clipless pedals when I'm riding around town. On trails, the platform is only good for extra support when you're clipped in and if you're starting to pedal on a technical section where you're more concerned with pedaling than trying to clip in.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thanks, all. big help.

外国人
    Jun 2007
    sorry to hijack this thread. but does your cb mallets rotate freely (ie. with your bike at rest the pedal spins freely when connected at the crank arm). i am asking this because i don't know if i need to rebuild my mallets because they don't seem to spin freely

The Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by Metanoia
    sorry to hijack this thread. but does your cb mallets rotate freely (ie. with your bike at rest the pedal spins freely when connected at the crank arm). i am asking this because i don't know if i need to rebuild my mallets because they don't seem to spin freely

The spring is most likely bent and rubbing on the pedal body, best bet would be to replace them, but it may just need a rebuild.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Jackalope Hunter
    I have ridden mallets for a couple years and never liked the way they felt without being clipped in. The egg beater sticks up too much and it's sketchy for jumping/drops etc.

I just got a new pair of 2008s with the traction pins and they are much better. I tried them with my 510s and they felt pretty darn grippy. (Yes I know 510s grip like mad) You can still feel the egg beater, but it doesn't prevent the shoe from gripping.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

Capricious youth...
    The new ones have pins which will work okay with standard shoes, but the clip is still VERY uncomfortable.

Go with a clipless skate shoe type (Shimano, 661, etc.) and you'll be happy.
    Meh.

Members who have read this thread: 0