Crank Bros Acid Pedals for DH?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Crank Bros Acid Pedals for DH?

Was going for Mallet C's but would like to save some weight. What do you think?
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    I hope you live close to CB for the warrenty.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I had the Mallet C for a good 3 years with no problems.
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

mtbr member
    Acids have been money for me. I'm debating making the switch back to flats, but when I'm running clipless I go with the Acids or Time ATACs. Depends on how much time you spend unclipped during a run. If you're really counting ounces you could always go with egg beaters....
    im wearing clothes right now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If I ran Crank Brothers, I would run Acids. But I've been happy with shimano(not trying to start debate)

mtbr member
    Mine have been solid for a year+. No problems. I've beaten the crap out of them, and they're fine.

N* Bomber Crew
    What kind of DH are we talking? And how tall is your Bottom Bracket?

I ride a drilled DHR with a super low bottom bracket (13") and I was SMASHING my pedals left and right on Boondocks at Northstar, a few other trails as well.

If your BB is high enough and the DH you ride isn't complete gnar gnar then you should be fine with Acids.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Breaking parts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude

I ride a drilled DHR with a super low bottom bracket (13") and I was SMASHING my pedals left and right on Boondocks at Northstar, a few other trails as well.

If your BB is high enough and the DH you ride isn't complete gnar gnar then you should be fine with Acids.
    Agreed, ran Acids for most of a season on an Uzzi w/14 plus BB and they were ok until the failure. Anything lower maybe look elsewhere. I have complete seasons on Mallet's. New season will be the test thought with 13.25 BB for the Mallets.

EastBaySteez

Its all about foot placement.
    In all the years of riding I can only think of one time that I bashed a pedal against a rock.

I ran CB excluvisly for almost 2 years up to about a month ago.

Now I cant see myself going back. Time Z's are the way to go!
    The engagement is holy.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member

I have an 08 Bighit so the BB isn't super low. DH one the likes of JMP, Montara, and NS. I never smacked a mallet on my old Bighit but again the BB was never super low.
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Its all about foot placement.
    In all the years of riding I can only think of one time that I bashed a pedal against a rock.
    Foot Placement? Doesn't always work at the right time. It's something I'm still getting used to about my new bike but its somewhat physical too. A 13" BB height with 170mm Cranks is going to most likely hit rocks compared to a 14.5" BB height with 160mm Cranks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Not just foot placement, but also unweighting the bike and rotating your cranks to avoid rocks. Difficult to master, yes. Impossible to learn, no.

mtbr member

give and take

Foot Placement? Doesn't always work at the right time. It's something I'm still getting used to about my new bike but its somewhat physical too. A 13" BB height with 170mm Cranks is going to most likely hit rocks compared to a 14.5" BB height with 160mm Cranks.
    You can rail with a 13" BB but yes may hit some pedals. 14" better rock garden clearance but sacrifice high speed handling. Can't have everything!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

StraightOuttaCompton
    damn, you must bash the crap out of your cranks and pedals. i hit my pedals every now and then with a 14.25" BB and 170 cranks. my friend who ridesa demo 7 has the same problem as you, low bb, long cranks
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    I didn't have much luck with my Acid's. I went from Time ATAC XS pedals which were beaten after about a year of riding. I broke the Acid's on my first day of riding. I sent them in and CB had them fixed and back in my hands about a 1.5 weeks later. I was able to get a month out of them before I broke them again. I ended up going with the Time Z pedals. Sure they're heavier but they seem to be bullet proof.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    damn, you must bash the crap out of your cranks and pedals. i hit my pedals every now and then with a 14.25" BB and 170 cranks. my friend who ridesa demo 7 has the same problem as you, low bb, long cranks
    You get used to it. You need to learn how to ride with it by floating over rock gardens and being light on your feet. The only time I scrape pedals is when I start to get kinda sketched out. That and I scraped my pedal pretty hard WHILE landing off a drop on Gypsy.

Members who have read this thread: 0