A couple of hardware questions from a noob...- Mtbr.com
    s62
    mtbr member

A couple of hardware questions from a noob...

So, I've been biking for awhile now, and i'm looking to buy an Uzzi VpX. I've got a few preliminary questions, simply b/c I haven't encountered a lot of this stuff on my AM bike. I will continue to add them as they come up. I appreciate your help!

1.) Is the Boxxer WC a suitable fork for the Uzzi? I want a dual-crown fork w/ some serious travel. I was looking at the Totem for SC, but I'd rather go w/ the Boxxer. However, will this be a poor match for the frame design? In some places, they recommend a 170-180mm fork, in others they say up to 205 (or w/e the standard is)....

2.) Most of the forks I'm looking at are 20mm thru-axels. But the Uzzi only has a 12mm in the rear. Is this normal? I suppose I have to buy two different types of hub, etc? Is this problematic?
    09 Specialized Enduro SL Expert
    w/ E150 and Command Post

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    20mm is front hub through axle, and the standard for FR forks. 12mm is rear and usually a 150mm spaced rear end, but can also be found on DHR's and R9's.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s62
    So, I've been biking for awhile now, and i'm looking to buy an Uzzi VpX. I've got a few preliminary questions, simply b/c I haven't encountered a lot of this stuff on my AM bike. I will continue to add them as they come up. I appreciate your help!

1.) Is the Boxxer WC a suitable fork for the Uzzi? I want a dual-crown fork w/ some serious travel. I was looking at the Totem for SC, but I'd rather go w/ the Boxxer. However, will this be a poor match for the frame design? In some places, they recommend a 170-180mm fork, in others they say up to 205 (or w/e the standard is)....

2.) Most of the forks I'm looking at are 20mm thru-axels. But the Uzzi only has a 12mm in the rear. Is this normal? I suppose I have to buy two different types of hub, etc? Is this problematic?
    The geo w/ that bike was measured using a 170mm fork. Going w/ a 200mm fork is going to slack out your head angle a bit and raise your front end quite a bit due to the extra crown and added travel. I'd stick to a 170mm single crown fork for a FR specific bike. But if you're set on a dual crown maybe the boxxer ride would be the best choice so you can set it at 6-7in travel. Otherwise you're stuck w/ slacked out angles and a higher front end.
    The 12mm rear and 20mm front thru-axle is normal. Most DH/FR/AM hubs come w/ options on axle size. Just pick the right one.

Glad to Be Alive
    if you want a dual crown then get the SoCom
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

s62
    mtbr member
    Is 170mm of travel and a SC fork suitable for big hits? I'm getting the Uzzi b/c I feel like it is probably the best rig for doing mixes of northshore and downhill. I want a bit of pedalability outta my rig, but I also want to bomb with it on DH courses, etc. I felt like the M3 was a bit to slacked out for northshore stuff, or stuff where I need to pedal a bit, but otherwise I like it. The Uzzi seemed to hit that sweet spot, but I want to make sure it's plush and burley enough for the task.

Also, isn't it a bit mismatched to have 7.75 inches of rear travel, but only 170mm in the front? Seems odd to me, but I don't know a whole lot about these things...
    09 Specialized Enduro SL Expert
    w/ E150 and Command Post

StraightOuttaCompton
    Also, isn't it a bit mismatched to have 7.75 inches of rear travel, but only 170mm in the front? Seems odd to me, but I don't know a whole lot about these things
    a lot of bikes run this set-up, not as many as used to but some still do, i would say it has to do with the frame design and having to much rake and having crappy cornering with a bigger fork, but i need some clarification on that.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Members who have read this thread: 0