could use oppinion on a bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

could use oppinion on a bike

I've been riding mountain bikes for awhile now. Im only 21 and would like to move from regular mountain biking to more of a freeride style. Im moving out west (US) so since i need a new bike anyways i want a hardtail freeride bike.

I want to keep my budget low for my first new bike, and after i get the hang of things and am settled in my new home ill buy a new bike.

So around $500-600. I've been looking at the Trek Jack 1. I hear the frame is great but the componets are poor. But for $500 i don't expect high quality parts. Are there any other bikes i should look at in this price range?

im 6' 145-155lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Look for something used. You can much better bang for the buck, especially in that price range. $500-$600 isn't gonna get you much of anything as far as a new bike is concerned.

Look around at some classifieds and be patient and you'll find a good deal. I just picked up a year old Kona Scrap in near new condition for $300. Keep your eyes open and you'll find something.

Meh.
    Buy used. Check out the Konas, the older Specialized p.bikes, Cannondale Chase, etc.

N* Bomber Crew
    You could get a pretty adequate used hard tail for about $600 coin.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

StraightOuttaCompton
    there was a spesh p1 on the nevada craigslist for 450$.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    well a KHS DJ50 retails for $599 it's not a bad starter if your set on new, i actually picked one of them up for the GF to ride when she comes out, it's a solid frame, with a reasonable parts spec for the price, otherwise 5-600 will get you a pretty good used hardtail

http://www.khsbicycles.com/01_dj_50_07.htm

*Contents Under Pressure
    if you are willing to buy online i would like to suggest a Jamis Komodo 2.0 http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...0+Bike+05.aspx

Best new "freeride" HT you're gonna get for under $600 IMO
    There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

bearded
    Damn man ur lanky
    BLKMRKT

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yea i have no problem stickin it with a used bike. I dont know these freeride bike all that well though so im not sure what to watch out for. I had a rockhopper and i just rode fast tight trails in the woods, but id like to switch it up to jumps and tricks so im kinda steppin into a new game.

so im assuming i should go to a local bike shop, maybe find my size of bike and then just check the ads?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRida
    well a KHS DJ50 retails for $599 it's not a bad starter if your set on new, i actually picked one of them up for the GF to ride when she comes out, it's a solid frame, with a reasonable parts spec for the price, otherwise 5-600 will get you a pretty good used hardtail

http://www.khsbicycles.com/01_dj_50_07.htm
    that thing is a pile, the fork is garbage and wiemen rims, come on
    Pump Tracks Are Rad!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FeltFiber
    yea i have no problem stickin it with a used bike. I dont know these freeride bike all that well though so im not sure what to watch out for. I had a rockhopper and i just rode fast tight trails in the woods, but id like to switch it up to jumps and tricks so im kinda steppin into a new game.

so im assuming i should go to a local bike shop, maybe find my size of bike and then just check the ads?
    Yeah man, if you can go ride a few bikes at a shop to get a feel for sizing, that'll just make things easier. Ignore the actual size of the frame because the size only refers to the seat tube, length of the top tube is the best way to determine proper sizing. I would say that at 6', you probably wouldn't want to go any smaller than a 23" top tube.

Good luck and be patient, especially if you're looking used. Eventually a great deal will come up, you just have to do your homework and go find it.

Baba Booey!
    WOW, I'm surprised the IBEX lovers haven't infected this thread yet

Its got what plants crave
    Yeah I agree on the used bike thing. I picked up a 243 hardtail with an older 05 Marz 66, Mavid Deetraks wheels, Thomson/King stem and headset, etc for a little over 400 bucks. Deals on used stuff are out there if you're willing to search.

shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Yeah I agree on the used bike thing. I picked up a 243 hardtail with an older 05 Marz 66, Mavid Deetraks wheels, Thomson/King stem and headset, etc for a little over 400 bucks. Deals on used stuff are out there if you're willing to search.

where did you pick up that deal...ebay?
    The crows kept calling his name, thought Caw. - Jack Handy

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well being that my main riding will consist of trails and single tracks with hills and jumps would a certain brand or bike stand out as a better choice?

For example would a kona be a better option or since i hear they are long or a bit heavier should i be looking at something else? Id like a bike that isn't too heavy and would be able to handle some drops, tailwhips, and just some general tricks. But it'd need to climb some hills

I found a 06 Trek Jack 2 nearly new for sale under $500, and have been trying to research the bikes and learn about DH and freestyle riding

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FeltFiber
    Well being that my main riding will consist of trails and single tracks with hills and jumps would a certain brand or bike stand out as a better choice?

For example would a kona be a better option or since i hear they are long or a bit heavier should i be looking at something else? Id like a bike that isn't too heavy and would be able to handle some drops, tailwhips, and just some general tricks. But it'd need to climb some hills

I found a 06 Trek Jack 2 nearly new for sale under $500, and have been trying to research the bikes and learn about DH and freestyle riding

In my opinion, I would avoid the Trek. It's a fine beginner/entry level hardtail, but for the price you can do better (assuming you're looking at used bikes). The Kona hardtails are nice (I have an '06 Scrap) and they can be had for fairly cheap. The Specialized p. bikes and Cannondale Chase are another option. Also, the Jamis Komodo in the link above is a pretty sweet deal especially for a brand spanking new bike.

The key to buying used is patience. I had been looking for over a month before I came across the kind of deal I was looking for.

Its got what plants crave
    Quote Originally Posted by scrwscrnnms
    where did you pick up that deal...ebay?
    Yup, I bought it from a guy who owned a pawn shop. Hayes Hydros and all kinds of nice goodies on it. He didn't know what he had and only had a picture of it with a "I read what it said on the parts" sort of description. He charged me 100 bucks for shipping which is my only gripe, but I still got the bike for just about 400 when all was said and done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    so that Jamis Komodo is a pretty decent bike? Would i be better off looking for a used kona bike over the Komodo?

I hear specialized is going kinda cheap on their parts, is that true? I found a 05 p2 aluminum for $500 and pics show a excellent condition. Im kind of person that wants the best for the price and will look at every site and store till i find the best option, so im just tryin to make sure if i were to say pick a kona it was a better choice over say the p series. I just dont know how well each of these bike performe, and our local bike shop doesnt carry these kid of bikes till near the end of winter.

Members who have read this thread: 0