Corsair Bikes, Especially the Crown- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Corsair Bikes, Especially the Crown

Does anyone seem to know how The Crown rides? frame wieght? How does the suspension feel, does it move nice? All the Corsair bikes seem miraculus from what i have seen about them on Corsairs website. Does anyone own one of these bikes or are they just far to new to the industry? Im espesially interested in the Crown.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    They've been around for a couple years doing a lot of R&D. Their site is cool and they seem to have some good frames.

They look a lot cooler on the website than they do in real life IMO. I was real pumped up on them and thought that the Maelstrom would be my rig for 09, at Interbike I was really stoked to check their booth out. Seeing one up close and seeing how the rear end is attached to the main frame I was kinda put off, there are a lot of bolts on this thing, and it didn't really inspire any confidence for me to open up my wallet. I'm sure the engineers are smart guys, but I could definately see a lot of issues with the hardware stripping out the bolt holes on the main frame, which would kinda put that bike out of commission. I also talked to the rep there who was a bit cocky and rude, basically saying that he and his people are the smartest around and that they've developed the greatest bike on earth (look closely and you'll see that it's just a really different single pivot). The guy talked a ton about innovation and how they are doing things that nobody has done before with high pivots and chain pulleys, but that seemed like a lot of BS considering Balfa is just ONE company that has used a high single pivot with a chain pulley.

I dunno man, I've never ridden one and I'm sure that once a final product exists it will be dynomite. I really do hope these guys make it big, their bikes are different and have a lot of thought put into them. I'd be stoked to see what they come out with down the road, but for now at least I wasn't that impressed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    They've been around for a couple years doing a lot of R&D. Their site is cool and they seem to have some good frames.

They look a lot cooler on the website than they do in real life IMO. I was real pumped up on them and thought that the Maelstrom would be my rig for 09, at Interbike I was really stoked to check their booth out. Seeing one up close and seeing how the rear end is attached to the main frame I was kinda put off, there are a lot of bolts on this thing, and it didn't really inspire any confidence for me to open up my wallet. I'm sure the engineers are smart guys, but I could definately see a lot of issues with the hardware stripping out the bolt holes on the main frame, which would kinda put that bike out of commission. I also talked to the rep there who was a bit cocky and rude, basically saying that he and his people are the smartest around and that they've developed the greatest bike on earth (look closely and you'll see that it's just a really different single pivot). The guy talked a ton about innovation and how they are doing things that nobody has done before with high pivots and chain pulleys, but that seemed like a lot of BS considering Balfa is just ONE company that has used a high single pivot with a chain pulley.

I dunno man, I've never ridden one and I'm sure that once a final product exists it will be dynomite. I really do hope these guys make it big, their bikes are different and have a lot of thought put into them. I'd be stoked to see what they come out with down the road, but for now at least I wasn't that impressed.
    wow. That is the exact opposite of my experience with them. They let me hop on the prototype Crown at sea otter, and the guys were absolutely a blast to hang out with, totally nice down to earth guys. The bike rode great, I would love to get a real ride on it, but it felt really weird for pedaling, it had less pedaling/travel/crank interaction then I think any bike i've ever ridden. It didn't bob, but the rear wheel didn't really feel connected to the cranks....Its hard to explain, but its as though the rear wheel could move through the travel with no interaction with the pedals - no kickback what so ever. Pretty cool, donno if its the bike for me, but it was definitely a great bike with great guys behind it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i think he was probably just pretty stressed and tired. Tons of people hit his booth. he finally opened up after like 5 min talking to me

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    They said the maelstrom was coming out in september. Was that pushed back? Till when?
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

squish is good
    They look dead sexy to me. Thats about all I can say, never seen or touched one in person.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    people don't invest enough time and effort into riding potential bikes they might purchase. If you're going to drop serious cash on a dh bike, you owe it to yourself to try and ride one some way or another even if it costs you some money.
    Just ride.....

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by Curler
    They said the maelstrom was coming out in september. Was that pushed back? Till when?
    I'm in the process of coming up with a build for one. The shop I'm working with is telling me that current delivery schedule for Maelstroms is late December.....

--Ben
    Last edited by venom600; 10-23-2008 at 10:58 AM.
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    his_dudeness -
    I think the person that you talked to may have just been suffering from the condition known as Overvegased. They're really a bunch of nice guys.

Anyway, I've ridden one of the Crown Prototypes and couple of early Maelstroms. They are both very sweet rides that seemed fairly refined considering their early proto status. I had written a review up of the Crown but decided not to post it since there were several changes to come before production.

My initial thoughts on each:
    Maelstrom - Dialed freeride geometry with above average pedaling characteristics. The rearward axle path really bails you out in the event of a hard case. I would jump off or over most anything on this frame.

Crown - Superior traction. Sticks like glue, brakes and corners to impossible limits. I can't wait to hop on the final version.

Oh, and both frames are stiff as hell!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpearson
    i think he was probably just pretty stressed and tired. Tons of people hit his booth. he finally opened up after like 5 min talking to me

That is true. I'm sure he had to deal with a lot of people and keep up a good image for his company... that'll wear down anyone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well the suspension design of the crown, is something like a a virtual sub-double pivot. Kickback on the on the secondary travel compression could be an issue im sure there is adjustment in the shock for that though. The fact that the Crowns chain stays could feel suspendibly disconnected i believe that opinion; either that or William42 wishes he had a extended vertebra since birth, and now to have a full grown tail. I would very much like to try the bike to see what I think. Tail is very important for balance. I am also very interested in the maelstrum too.

The Frame Weight to me is important for ups, and the weight differents from the maelstrum to the crown i also see important. Does anyone know about the parts corsair makes for there kits, I want Sycrose Wheels, hmm?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I do have a fully grown tail. You nailed it!

edit: but wait, what does that have to do with suspension?

mtbr remember
    I'm waiting to see more input...

Seems they are spending plenty of time R&D'ing... good thing.
    Schralp it Heavy.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    The crown version that Err and I rode was pretty refined, but the production version is going to be much more versatile.

Crown tweaks include: you can now run a 3" or 3.5" stroke main shock in a "high or low" mount position to change travel and leverage, the idler pulley can be moved now within about (I think) an 8mm range to adjust pedaling feel, blowoff shock travel and leverage is reduced. The original 3:1 ratio on the blowoff meant about 300psi for a 180lb rider...yikes. Also, the top tubes got a bit longer for production bikes, but the website has been changed to show this new geo.

Maelstrom tweaks include a subtle change to the chain tunnel and a complete revamp of the BB pivot linkage construction. The prototype I am running now with the older linkage has more rotating linkage mass than necessary and is a bit slow reacting to small bumps. The linkage was revised to address this. Lots of pivots? Not exactly. There are more than a standard single-pivot but there are still fewer pivots and bearings than found on other common designs.

Regarding construction, I have been tearing this Maelstrom prototype apart and rebuilding it on a regular basis to change shocks, clean things, generally test the maintainability of the frame (including having to send the swingarm BACK to taiwan to match paint, ha!). The swingarm runs on four bearings stacked together (2 on each side) and it is STIFF. Yes, the main pivot bolt does thread into the swingarm, but it is an oversized alloy axle and overtightening is basically impossible because of the axle design. Of course some guys can destroy anything, but this hardware is definitely not fragile. Also, with the little bolts that hold the adjustment of the pivot axles, loosening (and the resulting need for tightening) has not been an issue. Dial in the pivot axles, lock them in position, done. The frame has been 100% reliable during about 5 months of use.

I think everyone is bummed that there are STILL no Crowns, Marques or Maelstroms available. I absolutely share the frustration, I would love to swing a leg over a Crown. It sounds like it has taken twice as long to get these frames dialed and tested as anyone would have imagined. My feeling is that the designs have been probably 90% for a long time, but it's tough to get those last few issues mopped up and bring a bike to production. Little things like pulley tooth profiles, idler positions and complex forgings have been tricky and time consuming, even with Pablo spending weeks at a time overseas. Two editions of IB with no product has been enough! I think Doug and Pablo are doing a next-to-impossible job bringing these bikes out and I am betting that people will feel it's been worth the (long) wait!

I am sure they won't think I am putting words in their mouths when I say they are grateful for everybody's stoke and for all the patience shown.

As always, shoot Doug an email with questions: [email protected]

JMH

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thats phat thanks JHM, Amen to Doug and Pablo: Moving forward is key!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Oh and JHM, who cares about the small bumps The Maelstrom is a Freeride bike, but yeah i hope Corsair get lots of publicity, and the logo is tight, Europian interest could be great, Orange bikes seem to be lacking and The Corsairs empire is on the rise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jvale45
    Well the suspension design of the crown, is something like a a virtual sub-double pivot. Kickback on the on the secondary travel compression could be an issue im sure there is adjustment in the shock for that though. The fact that the Crowns chain stays could feel suspendibly disconnected i believe that opinion; either that or William42 wishes he had a extended vertebra since birth, and now to have a full grown tail. I would very much like to try the bike to see what I think. Tail is very important for balance. I am also very interested in the maelstrum too.

The Frame Weight to me is important for ups, and the weight differents from the maelstrum to the crown i also see important. Does anyone know about the parts corsair makes for there kits, I want Sycrose Wheels, hmm?
    I don't know about the difference in the weight, but i know that the Crown DH frame weighs 10.5 pounds with both shocks. i talked to Doug and he said the average build kit is 39-41 pounds and thats with Marzocchi fork and shock, i think you could easily get it to 37 with light parts and titanium spring. just my 2 cents

mtbr member
    Anyone know where these things are made or going to be made?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    Anyone know where these things are made or going to be made?
    the crown's releae date is march 15th, i heard that the maelstrom wont be available till december

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zach-f
    the crown's releae date is march 15th, i heard that the maelstrom wont be available till december
    No, not when, but where are they made. But thanks for the info on when I could buy one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    No, not when, but where are they made. But thanks for the info on when I could buy one.
    i ordered my frame from dropnzone.com for $2399 and 10% off for pre-ordering. i know beyond bikes is also selling them check out corsair's website theres quite a few distributers

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Crown, Marque and Maelstrom are all shipping from TW and should be available some time in April.

JMH

mtbr member
    Can anyone help me understanding the sizing of these bikes? It looks like their reported horizontal top-tube length seems long for the size, but it might be just the way they are measuring.

The reason I ask is that I have pre-ordered a maelstrom-frame and need to decide on a size. I'm 6'2'' and will use it for park-riding and DH with a boxxer fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens_Fredrik
    Can anyone help me understanding the sizing of these bikes? It looks like their reported horizontal top-tube length seems long for the size, but it might be just the way they are measuring.

The reason I ask is that I have pre-ordered a maelstrom-frame and need to decide on a size. I'm 6'2'' and will use it for park-riding and DH with a boxxer fork.
    i believe theres only a short and long version. not the normal small, mediem, and large version.

i ordered a crown dh in long, im 6' but i always like a little bit bigger biker

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Geo is on the website, as you probably noticed the Maelstrom is available in Small, Medium, Large. All companies measure effective top tube the same way, so if the top tube seems long, maybe consider a smaller size? 23.5" for a medium seems pretty standard, though.

JMH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Geo is on the website, as you probably noticed the Maelstrom is available in Small, Medium, Large. All companies measure effective top tube the same way, so if the top tube seems long, maybe consider a smaller size? 23.5" for a medium seems pretty standard, though.

JMH
    Yep, you seem to be right, and the Maelstrom seems a little long compared to pure DH-rigs, which is not surprising as some will use it to pedal uphill as well. I will use it in a single-ring DH set-up and might consider a little shorter bike for that reason. My headache is that I seem to fall right between the sizes. My L RFX has effective top-tube at 23.8, but I like m y trail-bikes slightly short. Do I want a slightly shorter top-tube for my DH-bike and go for the medium or slightly longer and run a short direct-mount stem on the large? I guess the problem translates to stability vs. flickability...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Yep, you seem to be right, and the Maelstrom seems a little long compared to pure DH-rigs, which is not surprising as some will use it to pedal uphill as well. I will use it in a single-ring DH set-up and might consider a little shorter bike for that reason. My headache is that I seem to fall right between the sizes. My L RFX has effective top-tube at 23.8, but I like m y trail-bikes slightly short. Do I want a slightly shorter top-tube for my DH-bike and go for the medium or slightly longer and run a short direct-mount stem on the large? I guess the problem translates to stability vs. flickability...
    I hear you. I am 6' even, I have been riding a medium with a single ring. I have experimented with TT length and won't ever go back to Large frames for DH/FR, it's just too much bike. I typically like a 24" or so on a trail bike but the 23.5" on the medium Maelstrom has been perfect.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

I guess I'll go for the medium frame then...

Really looking forward to getting the bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0