coping with my oversized bike. HEEEEELP!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

coping with my oversized bike. HEEEEELP!

I was thinking about selling my stinky. I even posted a thread about it here a few days ago. The thread mysteriously disappeared though. Anyway, until I get a better fitting bike I am stuck with my 02 stinky. My problem with it mainly is that I am only 120 pounds and I own a 39 pound medium (18") stinky (more explanations below). I know, I should have gotten a better fitting bike. I really didn't know much about proper sizing when I got the bike. I kind of trusted the bike shop staff too much. Now I know. Anyway, I only have about 1 to 2 inches max of top tube clearance at the back third of the top tube and zero closer to the front. This makes bailing or dabbing VERY hard on steep and obviously uneven rock chutes. I thought I could remedy this by just committing to every chute but I don't trust my fork and brakes (Hayes mechs and 02 Z1 wedge--> way too soft even for a light weight). Right now I feel too stretched even when the seat is slammed all the way down. Am I supposed to be able to get my knees level and at least as far back as the seat tube? I can't bring my chest far back enough to be over the seat.

I guess this size mismatch makes picking up the front end without a pedal stroke very hard. I think I'm just too light and short for this frame to be able to have enough leverage for manualing (can't do dramatic weight shifts). I'm thinking of getting a short (50mm?) stem but I doubt that it will help much.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions so I can make my stinky more rideable for technical and steep stuff? I'm 5' 11" but I have short legs (inseam ~ 32") by the way. I like long backcountry explorations and some small FR and tech DH.

Suggestions for a new heavy duty trailbike welcome also : ) I'm thinking about getting a Mtn Cycle Fury (I'm leaning towards this one due to the nice frame and value but is brake jack and swingarm stiffness/Pivot bearing lifespan a problem???), 5-Spot (If I win the lottery!!!) and the Azonic Saber (is it epic ride capable? Any concerning engineering/design flaws-i've heard some horror stories about misaligned or crooked frames). Anyway, this new bike will probably be my last one for a long long time so I don't want to go wrong again. Thanks for all the feedback!

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Its not too big for you, but it is too heavy for you (or one could say that you are not big enough).

The stinky isn't the best pedaling bike out there either, but bikes like the Azonic Saber aren't really that much lighter, and the weight can balloon to a pretty similer weight with similer components.

What ever frame you are using, bullit, azonic saber, or stinky, I'd say build it like this;

Mavic 519 (or 2005 equivalent) rims

DT competition double butted spokes

DT 240 hub (pricy, but will save lots of weight over shimanos)

Marzocchi Z1, Manitou Firefly, or Rockshox Pike up front

Possibly an air shock in the rear like an RP3, the fox DHX isn't real heavy for a coil.

Carbon fiber Maxm MX6 handle bar

The time DH pedals with the magnesium cage

05 shimano XT cranks

XT rear derailer and cassette

Hayes Mag discs or something else comparable like hope minis, even a 180mm mini in the front could work and still save weight. If the hayes mechs you have are anything like the avids, you'd save about a half of a pound with the hayes mags

80 or 100mm XC stem, since it'll be relatively short, it doesn't need to be overbiult. Thomsons are already pretty overbuilt for an XC stem

On the subject of tires, this is another aread that can make or break you. On my trail bike I have a ~560g 2.1 wtb weirwolf in the rear, and a 720g 2.3 wierwolf in the front. If I went to the same rear tire, that's more than a third of a pound of added weight. The tires is a place where the weight changes FAST, so choose carefully and based on the riding that you are going to be doing, and possibly have a few sets of tires, some for freeriding and DH, and others for trail. That is what I essentially do, and when I really need the extra grip and protection, I'll slap on the DH tires

Now, this won't be as strong as a setup with things like profile cranks and huge CNCed stems, but for your weight and complaints I'd think that it would work. The bike you are on does not sound too big for you, given your height and inseam. I don't know what else to say about that, except that I fit people on bikes daily and nothing seems odd there, only the weight of the bike seems excessive (and that in my opinion can override everything, even if a 25lb FS bike bobs, you can still ride it all day long because it's so light and nimble compratively)

This built is not cheap, but it's the price you pay to have something that will actually save weight and allow you to build such a bike in the low 30lb range

I took my saber on epic rides when I had it, but not only does the rider matter more than the ride, but the ride has to be the correct ride for the rider (sounds like a paradox, but it's not). That means that if you are super buff guy, you can ride a saber with a super T and a pretty burley build all day. If you are not super buff guy, you may still be able to ride a saber, but simply not a 40lb saber, a 31lb saber on the other hand might be the correct bike for you. The build can make all the difference though.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    that bike is definately not too big. im only 5' 4" i think and i ride a medium bighit that weighs like 45 pounds and its fine for me. im also around 120 pounds. it would be nice to get it down to 40 but it doesnt really bother me. id just say try to get used to it a bit more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Thanks, but...

Hey thanks for the feedback guys. I know that weight definitely limits my ability to manipulate the bike but what I really wanted to know was whether I should get a smaller (shorter) bike next time. The weight of my stinky doesn't really bother me if all I have to do is grind up to the top of a 10-mile climb. I have actually been doing more and more epics with it and the weight isn't much of an issue (the same way that bobbing never bothered me). My main problem is that sensation that I can't "throw" the bike around to clear technical stuff. I feel too stretched to make exaggerated (more than the usual heavier rider) weight shifts which I think are necessary since I weigh so little.

mtbr member
    do some weight training...
    being able to climb with it isn't strength, it's endurance

to throw your bike around u need to spend time in the gym. time to bulk up

being on a lighter bike would definitely help you but so would going to the gym

besides, going out for a ride on it through technical terrain will be similar to going to the gym. there u go.

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    What ever frame you are using, bullit, azonic saber, or stinky, I'd say build it like this;

Marzocchi Z1, Manitou Firefly, or Rockshox Pike up front
    Hell freezes over.......

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

mtbr member
    The top tube might be a little too long, but probly still usable. I'm 5'10" and use a 17"(med) 02' Stinky. Great for me. I have about a 32" inseam. I don't worry about top tube clearance as much as top tube length. If you want to get the bike to be more managable you might really consider shortening the stem. When I used a 100mm stem the handle bars turned wide like a desiel. I shortened it to 40mm and the bike became lots quicker on the handling. In the steeps the bike was lots better. Gotta Run..................Any Q???? PM me.

wyrm

i should be working
    i'd say its too big, but thats only because you are light (120 lbs). i ride a 17" '04 stinky dee-lux and i'm 5' 10" (180lbs). i think you'll grow into it. but its going to be tough to throw it around in the air. i'd say build it light and ride it more. also shorten up the stem and if the front feels too soft make sure the rear isnt too hard.

Just ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Its not too big for you, but it is too heavy for you (or one could say that you are not big enough).
    I dont think 39 lbs is to heavy for you at all. I am about the same size as you and my bike is 42 lbs , and i can whip it around pretty good. But I only have 1 bike, so i do all my jumping, street, dh on my dh bike, so i have gotten used to whipin a dh bike around. It doesnt take to long to build up the muscle if u ride everyday.

Former Noob Herder
    that frame size is suitable as trail bike, but maybe getting a bit big for a techy DH/FR bike. I'm 6'2" and rode a 2000 StinkyD medium (17") and it was on the small side for a techy DH/FR (although managable), but too short for fast DH or pedally trails.

being 'fit' right and getting a bike that suits your style are two different things, and by bike shop standards they did fit you right (old school fitting seems to go on the larger side), even if its not right for you. Unfortunatly this is one of those trial-and-error deals as you learn what you like and suits you best. If your that unhappy, ditch the frame; no one can tell you its right if it doesnt feel right.

Also between different brands dont compare the generic measurements (like 'medium' size, or seat tube length) because those sizings are irrelevant and the actual cockpit feel will be different. Its best to try it out first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i am only 5 foot 1 or 2 max. i have a 2003 stinky with an mrp (not that it adds much weight) i have a small. it is kinda big. i only have maybe 1 or 2 inches of clearance on the top tube...
    i am super strong though so it's easy for me to throw around

naw, but i can hip it pretty good for my size and everything. sounds like you just need to practice jumps and stuff, it will come.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    one question though...
    you are an inch short of 6 feet and only 120 pounds? how did that work out?
    i am about 5' and i weigh about 20 or fifteen pounds less.

maybe you should put some meat on them bones...

sorry for heckling you, have fun practicing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Im about 5'6" and I ride a large gemini without problems. I even raced mountain in the National Championships with it. However, it is very light at 35 lbs.

where's the kick stand?
    Mar 2004
    ya I'm kinda worried that my medium scream might feel too heavy since I'm comin from a 33 lb hardtail, but hopefully I will get used to it. Oh, and a new stem actually might help if it feels to big. just my $.02.
    live to ride, ride to live

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

i should be working
    just dont switch too often between the hardtail and the scream and you'll get used to it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    one question though...
    you are an inch short of 6 feet and only 120 pounds? how did that work out?
    i am about 5' and i weigh about 20 or fifteen pounds less.

maybe you should put some meat on them bones...

sorry for heckling you, have fun practicing.

Well, my weight kinda fluctuates between 120 to 134 or something, depending on how many times a week I skip breakfast and how much stress I'm under - lack of sleep and such (weird but true. I'm also insomniac) I just had surgery a few months ago and I am on a low fat diet as a result. I guess that's what really brought my weight down. I'm a really lean dude if you ever meet me, not a pound of subcutaneous fat on me. I guess it's just my metabolism too. I look more like a xc racer than a freerider. Now that's too much info already.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFives
    Well, my weight kinda fluctuates between 120 to 134 or something, depending on how many times a week I skip breakfast and how much stress I'm under - lack of sleep and such (weird but true. I'm also insomniac) I just had surgery a few months ago and I am on a low fat diet as a result. I guess that's what really brought my weight down. I'm a really lean dude if you ever meet me, not a pound of subcutaneous fat on me. I guess it's just my metabolism too. I look more like a xc racer than a freerider. Now that's too much info already.
    oh, that would suck if i couldn't sleep.
    good luck recovering from your surgery and with your diet. just remember keep practicing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    oh, that would suck if i couldn't sleep.
    good luck recovering from your surgery and with your diet. just remember keep practicing.

Something tells me that I'll be hanging on to the stinky for a while.

Thanks guys!

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigair101
    Im about 5'6" and I ride a large gemini without problems. I even raced mountain in the National Championships with it. However, it is very light at 35 lbs.
    I'm 5'5'' and ride a small gemini, I have longer legs and a shorter torso, seem comfortable to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

24" rear wheel

If you want to increase your top tube clearance and improve your bike's steep handling, throw a 24" wheel on the back of it. Some people love 24" wheels, some people hate them. But if you need more ballroom, you will probably love the 24" rear. It also slackens the angles a bit more, which is nice on the steep downs but hurts the bike's climbing. You should be able to sit on the saddle with your feet flat on the floor for optimum steep-FR fit.

A shorter stem is also a good idea. I run 50mm stems on both my hucker and trailbike, and will never go long again -- handles much better on steeps and drops, doesn't try to pitch you over the bars, just gotta bend your elbows more on the climbs.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

test ride

You should test ride before you buy.