convince me...- Mtbr.com

Thread: convince me...

mtbr member

convince me...

Its coming closer to the time to get a new bike. I currently have a '01 stinky (five in.). I can feel it wearing out. rocker arms creak, components are trashed. steerer tube is pulling out, etc. Im getting into more urban type riding, but i still love trails.

Basically, i dont know if i should get another Full suspension, or a hardtail. I like the cost difference of he hardtail. working part time, retail, money is at a premium. I really like Kona, but i would be up to trying others as well.

I mostly need to be persuaded as to Full suspension or Hardtail.

Lets hear your thoughts.....
    Im just saying..

dirt rules
    Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP Giant STP

mtbr member

ehh..

Quote Originally Posted by sittingduck
    Giant STP
    i dunno, im looking for cheap and decent components, specifically disks. i was thinkin about a Steelhead, and a stance fork or somethign. I really want something new. my last 3 bikes have been used and ive had problems will all. they were all fullys as well....
    Im just saying..

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggyperson
    i dunno, im looking for cheap and decent components, specifically disks. i was thinkin about a Steelhead, and a stance fork or somethign. I really want something new. my last 3 bikes have been used and ive had problems will all. they were all fullys as well....
    Im a hardtail lover myself so thats the way Id go unless you are getting a chance to get the most out of your squishy on a regular basis. Hardtails make great trail bikes and are versatile mahines. Id be careful on the Stance though. I rarely hear anything good about them, actually, I never had. You be better off getting a better fork with a cheaper build then upgrading those later or, even better, go singlespeed. Kills it for urban and dj's and is a blast as a trail setup as well. Ive ridden SS for years and find that unless Im on killer climbs, its all good. As a bonus, you really become a better rider (imo) since you are forced to learn how to use momentum and the trail more effectively. Just my two cents, good luck. BTW, the Steelhead is great but makes for a pretty stout trailbike.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member

hmm

im really looking at a hardtail now

budget is good, so thats why i liked the steelhead. i kno its heavy though. so what would be a good cheap fork that i could use both urban, and trails. i mean, i know i could use it on the trails, but i dont want it to pack up, or perform like crap.

that also brings us to the point of buying complete, or building from what i have. i can use my Z5 for a little, but its getting worse, and i fear will pull out of the steerer soon
    Im just saying..

dirt rules
    Depends on what parts you can scrape together.... Like someone mentioned, a steelhead would probably fit the bill for building a bike up. A fork is going to be your biggest expense for sure, If I were you, I would see if Jenson still has the 04 firefly for about $400. Either that or try to find something decent used.... tough to find though.
    Don't count out the STP1, it has discs, and other than the drop-off comp fork, is pretty solid.

Glad to Be Alive
    why don't you get a bearing kit and replace all your bearings and some of your components and keep riding the Stinky if you like it so much
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Cynical Bystander
    Well like other said as far as hardtails the STP is an excellent choice. If you want a great all around bike with some squish in the back (not sure how old you are but old folks like it ) maybe look at a Santa Cruz Heckler type of a bike (others in the category include Giant ACs, the new Coilers from Kona, etc...) with that you could have it setup for just about anything without really replacing any parts. I mean, with a Pike on the front or a Fox 36 you could have short travel for trails as well as enough travel for large hits or technical things and in the back you would have about 5-6" of travel which would be perfect for freeriding, just enough for downhilling, plenty for urban, and could be setup to be perfect for cross country as well.
    My .02cents
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

ouch
    I'm in a similar spot. Though my current bike is holding up, soon I'm going to need an upgrade so I'm searching for a cheaper used FS frame that I can build up. I've considered hardtails, but I dunno. I'm a 220lb rider and I've made a full switch into FR the past month. I'm progressing quickly and starting to put a lot more pressure on my bike. I dunno if a hardtail would like me much...and having had knee surgery, if my body would like a HT.

i should be working
    i just replaced some bent rockers on my stinky 37$ w/ bearings. if you like the stinky then just upgrade some parts. a new drivetrain usually makes a bike feel new again for me.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Spero
    I'm in a similar spot. Though my current bike is holding up, soon I'm going to need an upgrade so I'm searching for a cheaper used FS frame that I can build up. I've considered hardtails, but I dunno. I'm a 220lb rider and I've made a full switch into FR the past month. I'm progressing quickly and starting to put a lot more pressure on my bike. I dunno if a hardtail would like me much...and having had knee surgery, if my body would like a HT.

bigger guys = Full suspension

your knees and ankles will thank you later in life
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    bigger guys = Full suspension

your knees and ankles will thank you later in life
    I figured as much. I'm no jelly-roll, but I know what I can and can't take...and 5" in the rear isn't cutting it.

mtbr member
    i appreciate all the feedback.

I have looked at bearing replacements, and the like, but im worried about cracks or weak spots in the frame. the frame was beat up when i got it about 6 months ago, and i have only done worse. this includes bottoming(hard) the front and rear many times. im starting to get into more urban/skatepark stuff, and after riding a friends hardrock, im liking the handling of a hardtail more. i will prob end up getting a frame and swapping my components. im gonna call marzocchi tomorrow about their upgrade program tomorrow. i can potentially swap my trashed z5 for a new DJ1 or 3.

anyways, what are your thoughts on the Fetish Obsession, Fetish Fixation/Discipline, or the Azonic Steelhead. they are all a good price, and have horizontal dropouts/der. hangers.
    Im just saying..

mtbr member
    also, i busted a few spokes in my rear wheel, so i have to have it rebuilt. im thinkin about a 24 rear, especially if i go the urban route.
    Im just saying..

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Spero
    I figured as much. I'm no jelly-roll, but I know what I can and can't take...and 5" in the rear isn't cutting it.

so you want more inches in the rear?????

RIDE TO LIVE&LIVE TO RIDE
    buying a new complete bike is generally cheaper than building one, unless you are planning on using your the parts, but you don't sound too confident in them.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggyperson
    also, i busted a few spokes in my rear wheel, so i have to have it rebuilt. im thinkin about a 24 rear, especially if i go the urban route.
    missing spokes = taco'd rim...if you continue to ride
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 07-13-2005 at 11:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhorsebike1
    buying a new complete bike is generally cheaper than building one, unless you are planning on using your the parts, but you don't sound too confident in them.
    05 Demo 9, with a Fox 40 up front, rollin on Mag 30's lace to Hadley hubs, El Camino brakes & Saint components. Wait....that's Kyle Straight's bike. Ok ok, if thats a little eccentric and you're leaning towards a hardtail...

Evil Imperial - to build
    STP or Flow - buy complete
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

high school loser
    another thing you could do is get a new haro zero. ive ridden one around the shop and really like em. the frame would be good for dj and urban. they are set up pretty solid too componet wise. the fork will last and put up to abuse, its not a great fork thou. but then you could ride that while you save and get new stuff for it, like fork and front brakes if you want and a drive train cause is SS. that way you have a new bike to ride.
    member of the ZombiEKilleRSquadron
    "we kill zombies dead"

98% of all teens do drugs or have tried them, if you are in the 98% range, copy and paste this in to your signature