converting hear hub to 12mm axle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

converting rear hub to 12mm axle

I just got a Banshee Morphine frame and it came with an axle for the rear wheel. the rear whell that is going on has a regular QR hub. Do i have to get a whole new hub to have a 12mm rear end? or is there a kit to buy or just something simple to do to my rear wheel hub.
    Last edited by cummings; 02-13-2006 at 04:49 PM.

Pro Crastinator
    98% of the time, a whole different hub is required. although, i am not too hip on the morphine specs or what your current hub is....

mtbr member
    my hub is Shimano FH-M475 disc. It came stock on my 2006 Kona Stuff. If this conversion is not possible with my hub- what are some cheap to medium priced options for hubs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    do you know if its 150 or 135 mm spacing? you could go with some azonic outlaws.

Ghost ride the whip!
    Apr 2005
    I just got a morphine too. The rear end is 10mm not 12mm. It has 13mm rear spacing and the axle that it came with is for shimano hubs. Either take it to a bike shop, or do it yourself. That axle will fit your hub. No need to buy anything else.

mtbr member
    so i just take out the skewer and put the axle in??

Ghost ride the whip!
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    so i just take out the skewer and put the axle in??
    yup. the qr skewer goes thourgh a hollow axle in the shimano hub. Remove the skewer. Then tkae off the locknuts and cones, and make sure you don't lose any bearings. Then put it all together using the solid axle instead of the hollow one. bing bang boom

mtbr member
    thanks man. now does this setup make the rear end stiffer- just like switching from QR fork to 20mm thru-axle? Thanks Again

Ghost ride the whip!
    Apr 2005
    stiffer and more secure. Converting your hub to bolt on greatly decreases the chance of having your wheel slip in the dropout. A common problem with horizontal dropouts. If you have to use a qr in horizontal drops, go to your lbs and as if they have any OLD shimano qr's- one of the strongest qr you can get.

eminence front
    I've gotten rid of the QR in the back, even on vertical dropouts the QR was a problem. Since the vertical dropouts angle towards the front of the bike slightly, i managed to yank the rear wheel out doing technical (almost trials) stuff where i really hammer the cranks. No matter how hard the QR was done up I could manage to pull the wheel out ever few rides, the drive-side would pull right out of the dropout, the wheel would hit the frame, and it would instantly lock the back wheel.

I will never use a QR again.

Members who have read this thread: 0