convert giant trance to 4x?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2008

convert giant trance to 4x?

hey i was looking around for some options for a 4x/slalom/dj bike and i got to thinking that i have a 2005 giant trance that i never use... i guess the geometry will be different but can it be decentely made into a 4x bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Look in the trance picture thread in the Giant forum, there is at least one 4X trance in there.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Jan 2008
    so it will make a suitable 4x bike then?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have thought lots about this. As soon as I get around to it (when my wife lets me buy another bike) I will be building a trance as a 4x/Dirt jump and trail bike. Going to put a fox 36 TALAS and 819 rims etc etc

StraightOuttaCompton
    i would, considering how sick it would look, but i have never ridden one so i couldnt tell you right from wrong.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

bi-winning
    Tara did it with success.

she is light, so she even got away with XTR wheels.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

StraightOuttaCompton
    that bike looks sick.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    what size would you use?

StraightOuttaCompton
    what size would you use?
    for what???

Jan 2008
    its an 18" and i'm about 6 ft tall

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Tara did it with success.
    Tara's a beast. She can get away with anything.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    that head tube angle looks way steep for 4x

SamIAm
    it would be one of your lightest choices for 4x
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Registered Jong
    Good idea I was actually thinking about maybe turning mine into a 4x bike.

Jan 2008
    is there a thread on pics of peoples 4x bikes? just wanted to make sure before i posted and have some1 jump all over me like a repost is the end of the world

Oct 2007
    I have an 06 Trance 4 which i have upgraded some stuff on and I have ridden it at Calabazes in San Jose. Its a bit heavy and seems to not snap very well off the jumps. I am going to be doing some more changes like a higher rise bar.

Its got a fox rlt 100, XT 819 rims, but the cranks and driveterain is all stock. I am thinking of moving to a single ring set up for a 1x9 combo. At that point I can kiss riding it XC good bye.

I am 5'7" 150 and I am riding and XS. I may just need to add some pressure to the rear shock to stiffen it up a bit.

Post up pics of your trance 4x rigs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What determines if an XC bike would make a good 4x bike, or an XC bike that just is too small, if that makes any sense? Is it bar height or what?

FClinder has also used a trance for a 4x bike and raves about it, so hit him up. Although Ive seen him alot more on RM than here latley.

Oct 2007
    I think alot of it is size, but i am sure there are some geometry issues.

I may be dumping my trance for something more AM as it looks like i am going to pick up a Specialized P1 dirt cheap.

High Plains Drifter
    May 2004

Rando's Bike

I helped Jared Rando at the Brian Head National by pushing his bike up for him after his runs. To me it seemed like the main difference between his 4.2" trance and a stock trance was the suspension stiffness. All of his shocks were air shocks so it would be easy to stiffen your suspension for 4x and then soften it for xc rides. He did have a single ring w/bashguard in the front and the stem may have been a little short for xc, but that was all it took to take a trance and make it 4x competitive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

I have one.

I built my Trance up for 4x/light downhill. It has a Fox 36 TALAS fork with syncros wheels, E.13 chain guide. The head angle is pretty slack because of the longer travel fork. Another thing some people do (and what I'd do if I did it again) is get a 4 inch travel fork and a six inch eye to eye rear shock. This drops the BB and makes it turn on rails. I think the Trance is a perfect bike for the project your thinking of. Oh, and mine is an 18" frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Here's cell phone pics of the bike after I switched to SRAM and a single ring:

http://cowboycramer.blogspot.com/2007/12/getting-more-hardcore.html

Pain Incorporated
    The 2007 Trance frame is fine for 4X, I would be iffy on riding the 08 for 4X, as the weight savings makes me feel sketchy for strength....

I'm running a 16" 07 Trance frame as my 4X bike, and it's FANTASTIC!!

Here's a pic not completly done, as I'm still waiting on some back ordered parts....(Lg1 guide, monkey light ec 70 bars, ignitor 2.35 UST, saint brakes) It rides sooooo good, and it's wicked light!!

-Mitch
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    any thoughts on the tranxo X0 (or x1). My LBS has a 20" 07 or an 18" 08 Trance X0

Oct 2007
    For racing 4x... or as an AM bike?

I would think 5" or travel to be bit much for 4x unless your local track is REALLY burly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am not worried about too much travel, for 4x, more so just a sloppy rear end. I want to put a pike up front so that I can AM the bike as well as race 4x. ( I currently only have an anthem and a glory dh) neither of these are good for much but specific racing. If I can find a bike that will do both nicely then I will be psyched. Also I am only a sport, trying to make expert, dh racer.

Oct 2007
    Well the trance designs are great, but I still think a 5" AM bike for 4x will be pretty sloppy. I am sure you can crank up the pressure in the shock and stiffen it up.

But i would say the regular trance (maestro 4.2) with an adjustable front end would be better in 4x.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    trance fine for 4x but for dirties or pump track hard tail way more effective and cheaper. maybe a taller fork slack it out. at 6ft you could deal with med. but the smaller the wheel base the better jumper from my experience. maestro seems to soak up and not pop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    here is another trance 4x setup on another forum:
    http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=89895

Members who have read this thread: 0