Continental Der Kaiser?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Continental Der Kaiser?

Anyone have some time on them? just saw Universal Cycles has them in stock now finally, and looking for a new tire to replace my Michelin DH24's.

I run cut 24 front and regular tread in back and it seems to do fine at Diablo...except when it gets wet...which seems to be the theme this summer.

Looking for something new and different before I just switch to the default Minion/Highroller combo. The Kaiser's 1000g weight is pretty tempting...

mtbr member
    Kaisers real weight is 1200g If I remember corretly. They were aiming at 1000g but apparently it wasn't performing as they wanted at that weight.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Bump.

Just got one to demo... Real weight on a Park scale is 1320 grams. I'm trying it as a front tire in the next few weeks so we'll see.

Did a ride today on some dry hard pack and although I thought the tire would fail to keep the front planted, I noticed no washing or strange drifting... Must be the rubber.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've been interested in these as well. Definitely curious about the performance in wet conditions, especially on terrain with rocks and roots. On a side note, has anyone run the Rubber Queens, particularly the 2.4 UST? Wondering the same things about it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    I've been interested in these as well. Definitely curious about the performance in wet conditions, especially on terrain with rocks and roots. On a side note, has anyone run the Rubber Queens, particularly the 2.4 UST? Wondering the same things about it.
    there's a thread about rubber queens some where here. pretty useful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I will do some more digging. I know I've run across a few comments on the Queens, but nothing very detailed. Thanks.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I've been interested in these as well. Definitely curious about the performance in wet conditions, especially on terrain with rocks and roots.
    I won't be hitting the wet any time soon... My local trails are made up of decomposed granite. Traction is usually better in the fall/winter/spring. Right now it's really dry and loose... I will also do some tests in duffy moon dust at a nearby ski hill... Feeling the rubber compound, I'd wager they would do quite well on wet wood. The rubber feels pretty close to Michelins which I felt were really good on wet wood features...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    I won't be hitting the wet any time soon... My local trails are made up of decomposed granite. Traction is usually better in the fall/winter/spring. Right now it's really dry and loose... I will also do some tests in duffy moon dust at a nearby ski hill... Feeling the rubber compound, I'd wager they would do quite well on wet wood. The rubber feels pretty close to Michelins which I felt were really good on wet wood features...
    Definitely curious to hear more. i have been on a few tires that did well in certain conditions, but so far the Minion DHF is the only thing I've been on that really did well all around. I'd rather not have to change tires constantly if possible and I hear the BC wears very well for how grippy it is.

Quote Originally Posted by brillantesdv
    there's a thread about rubber queens some where here. pretty useful.
    Here is a Rubber Queen thread.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/conti-mountain-king-2-4-b-rubber-queen-2-4-a-506773.html

I also have ust 2.5 minion high roller combo. (also excellent tires ) Rubber queens are huge and roll well. If you have to climb to the top of the DH these are are much easier to pedal up. Yet there solid and not a flimsy sidewall.

IMHO, The rubber queen works better in the wet. The knob are farther spaced and mud doesnt pack up as much.

Lost about 1 lb using the rubber queen over the maxxis 2.5 ust.

So that made em feel fast!!

Large volume and tire height of the RQ helps them roll fast and absorb bumps

Another member was stating the non ust rubber queen was easily slashed on rocks.

I have had good luck with the ust, The extra 200 grams or so seems to make em stiff.

Sidewall seems to be close in thickness to the massis2.5 ust. (dont have exact measurements)

I dont think there worth MSRP of 100+ but for 50ish at CRC there worth it and same price range as maxxis ust. The rubber does last longer (compared to maxxis super tacky) so that really helps if you ride alot.

Few conti pics.

Rubber queen next to mountain king

Der Kaiser - supposed to have softer rubber than rubber queen. Feel like it by touch. The rain kings are even softer.

I still love the maxxis tires as well as the rubber queens.

It is nice to have something that is strong yet doesnt hold you back too much if you have to climb to get to your DH.

So hopefully that helps you to see if there worth a try or not.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Very happy with RQ 2.4 UST on the rear. It replaced DHRs 2.5 and bigger and lighter than Maxxis. Rode all local trails, Mammoth and N* and never lost traction in unexpected manner.

Pinched it once at N* but it was sealed by Stans in few seconds after adding sealant. My DHR's been pinched few times as well, including the one I still use on front so I wouldn't consider RQ any weaker tire.
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That's great info on the Contis. I wish they were a little closer in price to the Maxxis, which are still ridiculous. Even on CRC, the UST Rubber Queens are listed at like $72 compared to fifty something for the DHF UST. I'm very tempted to try the RQ and the Kaiser.

That's great info on the Contis. I wish they were a little closer in price to the Maxxis, which are still ridiculous. Even on CRC, the UST Rubber Queens are listed at like $72 compared to fifty something for the DHF UST. I'm very tempted to try the RQ and the Kaiser.
    Ouch look like they have gone up in price at CRC
    FYI< Wiggle has em listed at $58.40 USA
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Co...re/5360041540/

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brillantesdv
    Anyone have some time on them? just saw Universal Cycles has them in stock now finally, and looking for a new tire to replace my Michelin DH24's.

I run cut 24 front and regular tread in back and it seems to do fine at Diablo...except when it gets wet...which seems to be the theme this summer.

Looking for something new and different before I just switch to the default Minion/Highroller combo. The Kaiser's 1000g weight is pretty tempting...

I've some time at Kaiser Permanente, does that count? If so I cant say it was alot of fun, and don't really recomend KP, or any hospitol trip for the matter.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    I've been interested in these as well. Definitely curious about the performance in wet conditions, especially on terrain with rocks and roots.

Members who have read this thread: 0