Conditions that warrant the need for a chainguide?- Mtbr.com
    customized
    Sep 2003

Conditions that warrant the need for a chainguide?

Under what conditions would a chainguide me nessesary? I may be in the grey area of need for it. The plan eventually is steep rollers, 6 foot max drops, sick boney downhills with small drops scattered every where. May need to do trials based moves to get up on some of the moves. That sort of thing. 5-6" heavy duty trailbike is the ride of choice. I don't usually loose the chain, but is slaps around enough. The bigger I get, the better chance I guess I'll be loosing it. Any thoughts on if I should invest in one?

Thanks
    Louis

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    How many chainrings are you running? Are you racing? If you are running a single chainring of course you should invest in one, but it sounds like you are running more than one chainring. If your chain falls off occasionally and you arent racing, no big deal just shift it back on w/ your derailler. If your racing then sure get one like an e13 drs.
    For sale:
    Jamis Dakar Sport Full Suspension XC Bike 2001
    Marzocchi EXR comp 2004

Email me at [email protected] for more details.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you're not sure that a guide is worth the investment yet, one of those chain tensioner do-hickey's can be had for pretty cheap if you look around or are lucky enough to find one on ebay...should limit the slapping. Not too much money, so if you eventually decide to go for the guide, you're not out that much extra cash.

Former Noob Herder
    your chain falls off
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Some Assembly Required

Preventive maintanence. Get it.

If I had gotten one when I got my Bullit I wouldn't have gone through a level III collarbone separation. Dropped my chain just as I was about to hit a 3ft drop. No biggie, I thought. The run up was bouncy washboard type terrain & comin' out of a curve. Dropped my chain just as I went to pull-up & wheelie off of it. Instead of coming up, the ft. end dove & OTB's I went. Dropped me on my shoulder, (the good one), & the side of my head. Boogered me up. I would say get an e.thirteen guide/tensioner. DRS works good for me & the cust. serv. is impecable. AND they "lurk" in & around these boards & provide helpfull info.
    e.thrteen...get it & forget about it.

customized
    Sep 2003
    2 rings, no races. I'll respect the studderbump drops and walk around them. I'll be measuring up my drops for a while anyway. I have never had it jump off the middle ring, the bashguard holds it on well. Had it fall off the granny a couple times.

Time will tell. I'll have my eyes on the DRS though.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

Hey...

Quote Originally Posted by Severum
    I'll have my eyes on the DRS though.
    don't you mean your eye. (reference to your avatar)

Xtremely Moderate
    [QUOTE= I would say get an e.thirteen guide/tensioner. DRS works good for me & the cust. serv. is impecable. AND they "lurk" in & around these boards & provide helpfull info.
    e.thrteen...get it & forget about it.[/QUOTE]

Copy that. I haven't had the DRS on that long, but so far it purrs right along and its fairly quiet too.

Customer service from e13 was muchas buena. I had a slight alignment issue, talked to them, they had me check a few things and it was fixed.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

customized
    Sep 2003
    lol...

mtbr member

3Heim Guide

Excellent customer service, good price and you can keep a triple if needed.

http://www.montaramtb.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    if (likelihood of chain falling off) * (consequences of chain falling off) > 3.71, you need a chainguide.

Pedaling into a jump increases both factors, so most people get up to speed first and then coast into the jump.

For my trailbike/urban/light FR, 6"x6", I run two rings with a bashguard. For my 8"x9" Whistler bike, I run a single ring with chainguide.

Glad to Be Alive
    save the time and get a chain guide....then start hitting those studderbumps and drops with no worry. Taking the time to take care of a chain sucks

Some Assembly Required

If I can keep one shoulder from getting messed up it'll be worth it.

Don't give yourself a chance to get messed up...Get a Guide!!!!! No guide yet???

customized
    Sep 2003
    Looking at that 3heim device. Looks perfect for my needs. Any input from anyone? I'll run two rings with a bashguard.

Xtremely Moderate
    Looking at that 3heim device. Looks perfect for my needs. Any input from anyone? I'll run two rings with a bashguard.
    Only thing to watch out for on the 3 guide is the thickness of the bash guard. The lip on the 3 guide is supposed to overlap the outside of the bash. My e13 bash was too thick so it kinda just remained flush at the edge. It still worked well though.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    I've used it both ways. Keep in mind when you talk to John Heim that you can order the rollers in different lengths. I had to have a longer one for when I was using it on my Big Hit. I have mine setup on my XC rig now and it works great. I highly recommend it for 3 rings, for only running 2 I would seriously consider the DRS or the *new* LRP with the Poly bashguard (similiar to the DRS).

customized
    Sep 2003
    This is what I was thinking of doing.

I'm gonna have the heaviest 5" bike on earth!
    Attached Images Attached Images

T.Dot Represent
    once you drop a chain... the first time u do it,... its time fro a chain guide
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

Custom User Title
    This is what I was thinking of doing.

I'm gonna have the heaviest 5" bike on earth!
    I have this exact setup. I modified my Heim guide a little so that I could move it up further and out of harms way. I had to cut the end off of it so it would not hit the tire. So far so good, no problems.

You can kind of see in the first photo how I cut the end. And in the 2nd photo how I have it at more like 8 o'clock as opposed to the recommended 7.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Call Jon directly...

...what ever rig you ride, he'll help you set it up, step by step. I have a triple on my Enduro and triple w/bashguard on my Bighit. It works great!

customized
    Sep 2003
    From the research I have done there are different plates and rollers for the 3heim. I have called and emailed montaramtb, no answers yet. I'd just order one from go-ride or pricepoint, but I want the right configuration. X-Vert, did you just buy the standard setup? Is it noisy?

Thanks
    Louis

mtbr member

He's...

From the research I have done there are different plates and rollers for the 3heim. I have called and emailed montaramtb, no answers yet. I'd just order one from go-ride or pricepoint, but I want the right configuration. X-Vert, did you just buy the standard setup? Is it noisy?

Thanks
    Louis
    ...either out riding, on vacation or both.

The Enduro (installed 00') was easily installed between the bb shell & cup. Mild adjustment of the front derailluer to compensate and it has been going strong ever since. Raced it DH at Sea Otter...the chain came off the roller once but never during trail rides. Roller is alittle noisy but it reminds me of playing cards in the spokes sounds as a kid.

The BigHit (installed 04') involved more as I was installing the 3Heim Bashguard as well. The guard is universal and my Truvativ Holzfeller cranks took some adjustments with the supplied washers. The larger suspension travel need both front & rear derailluer adjustments. With the Bashguard, the chain does not fall off and passed maiden ride at Northstar with flying colors. Roller on this newer set is quieter.

Sorry if I missed it but what kind of bike do you have?

customized
    Sep 2003
    Building up a 03 Saber. Looks like it may be the 3heim for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We generally recommend a guide for any bike with 6" or more in back. I've got an E-13 DRS on my Saber (22-36) and i have never wished for a bigger ring, although we don't have much wide-open descending out here. The Heim guide is lightweight and effective, but not as good as the e-13 or new MRP LRP with the stepped roller.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

mtbr member

I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by James @ Go-Ride
    We generally recommend a guide for any bike with 6" or more in back. I've got an E-13 DRS on my Saber (22-36) and i have never wished for a bigger ring, although we don't have much wide-open descending out here. The Heim guide is lightweight and effective, but not as good as the e-13 or new MRP LRP with the stepped roller.
    ...the 3Heim is not as good as the E13 or MRP but I wanted to keep my triple.

BTW, bought my first 3Heim @ Go-Ride...great service and quick delivery! Although it was cruel to package my 3Heim in a 5th Element box...thought I hit the jackpot!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Go-Ride rules, ordered my z1 drop off from them and its amazing, quick reliable service too
    For sale:
    Jamis Dakar Sport Full Suspension XC Bike 2001
    Marzocchi EXR comp 2004

Email me at [email protected] for more details.