Which compound- Mtbr.com

Thread: Which compound

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Which compound

I've been riding specialized clutch dh tires at northstar and mammoth the last 2 seasons but the tires are done. I want to try minions this season and was wondering what compound was working best for the dry conditions at these parks, the 3c or the super tacky? If there's any other suggestions for a tire combo that works well at these parks I'm ready to listen.

Slap happy crappiness
    There is no "best" that blankets the entire DH demographic when it comes to tires. But....... if you want my personal preference for resort riding it's a harder compound tire like Maxxis' old 60a compound or a tire with a bit longer life like the 3C compound for the rear tire and something softer like Super Tacky upfront or even a 3C.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Just be aware there are 3 versions of the 3c compound too, so make sure you know which one you want.

3C Maxx Speed
    Used primarily in cross country and enduro tires, the two compounds in the outer layer are secially formulated to lower rolling resistance and optimize treadwear and traction

3C Maxx Terra
    An intermediate compound configuration used in select mountain tires. 3C Maxx Terra is softer and offers more traction than 3C Maxx Speed, yet provides better treadwear and less rolling resistance than Maxx Grip

3C Maxx Grip
    A new name for the downhill 3C compound configuration that you have come to know and trust. 3C Maxx Grip offers the ultimate in grip and slow rebound properties for unparalleled traction in downhill applications.

All from the Maxxis website.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Just be aware there are 3 versions of the 3c compound too, so make sure you know which one you want.

3C Maxx Speed
    Used primarily in cross country and enduro tires, the two compounds in the outer layer are secially formulated to lower rolling resistance and optimize treadwear and traction

3C Maxx Terra
    An intermediate compound configuration used in select mountain tires. 3C Maxx Terra is softer and offers more traction than 3C Maxx Speed, yet provides better treadwear and less rolling resistance than Maxx Grip

3C Maxx Grip
    A new name for the downhill 3C compound configuration that you have come to know and trust. 3C Maxx Grip offers the ultimate in grip and slow rebound properties for unparalleled traction in downhill applications.

All from the Maxxis website.
    I hate Maxxis' new tire duro rating system and miss the days of 50, 52, and 60...

In my above post I'm referring to Maxxis' original 3C compound, now called "Maxx Grip" (I think).
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Super tacky front, 60a single compound rear = MONEY!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    There is no "best" that blankets the entire DH demographic when it comes to tires. But....... if you want my personal preference for resort riding it's a harder compound tire like Maxxis' old 60a compound or a tire with a bit longer life like the 3C compound for the rear tire and something softer like Super Tacky upfront or even a 3C.
    I'm aware there's no "blanket" best dh tire but I feel n* and mammoth have pretty specific terrain and dirt type. I'm thinking a maxx grip front and a terra rear. Hopefully these will work well in those dry, almost powdery conditions

C S
    mtbr member
    The DHF is only made in 3C maxxgrip.

I run 60a in the back, 3C up front for dry and dusty here in NM. I don't feel like the little extra grip a super tacky gives you is worth the shorter life span in those conditions, and IMO the 60a holds up better to getting loose and drifty. I've found the 3C rears to lose their side knobs long before the 60a.